1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Olympic Games Rio-2016 Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 30, 2016.

1. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Not in the Men's sprint events. Did you see the Men's 1500m final. It was disgraceful for the time, 3.50. It was shocking. The Kenyans should have taken it out quickly and then we would not have seen the American runner win.

2. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Very strange race. Kiprop went out slow, then wasted all his energy trying to get around the pack... twice. And in the process of doing so, he screwed up most of the other runners.

Centrowitz usually likes to be in front. They just let him have it without working at all, and with plenty of energy left, and the rail, and good closing speed it was all too easy for him the final lap. All he had to do was run his normal race at warm-up speed.

And yes, Alberto Salazar is about as crooked as they come and I suspect many of the Nike distance runners are cheating. But then, so are most of the Kenyans.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Although she was a great representative of GB as an athlete, I'm not a fan of Paula Radcliffe as a TV pundit/personality. I never really have been.

Whereas Denise Lewis I really like!

4. The Ides of March

East Africans don't need to cheat as they have for years beaten all other nations out of sight in the middle and long distance events. But if they have been cheating, it is because they have been badly advised by their coaches. I am saying this because I am a big fan of Kenyan athletes ever since I saw the likes of Kip Keino and Ben Jipcho and it would be a shame to see this great nation dragged into the mire.

PS: Kenya would have got two medals in that event if they had chosen to take it out fast, so in a way they deserved their come uppance. Hopefully they will learn from this and never allow a tortoise type pace,in the final of this race again.

5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

She is no more than ok....Denise comes over as much more knowledgeable. Shame about her taste in hairstyles. :)

fatletiss likes this.
  6. The Ides of March

Back here in Spain I have relied on the Spanish feed for the athletics. I would have loved to have heard Steve Cram's view about the 1500m for both men and women, and how to get this race to be one of the best track events of any meet instead of being a relatively low key event that it is now. The event needs is own version of Usain Bolt!!

7. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I loved the Kenyan javelin thrower. Hilarious!

The Ides of March and fatletiss like this.
  8. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Actually Ides, you must be delighted to have a Kenyan playing for Spurs now? :)

The Ides of March and fatletiss like this.
  9. fatletiss

That was the throw and roll technique!!!

10. The Ides of March

However delighted I may be, I expect Spurs to be even more delighted considering he scored the only goal.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.

11. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

A big part of the congratulations from every GB success has been a recognition for the funding that comes from the National Lottery. We knew that, and it comes from the investment started after the rather few successes at the 1996 Atlanta Games. It has meant that GB has overtaken the medal number achievements of London 2012 with 66, so far, although GB ended with 29 Golds in 2012. Incidentally, one can only speculate what effect a full team of clean Russian athletes may have had on every nation's total. Perhaps nothing extra at all.

upload_2016-8-21_12-48-44.png

Team GB's medal successes have come from a wider range of sports than any other nation, which illustrates an unparalleled strength across Olympic Sports. There is also a statistic which illustrates GB's strength in depth. In terms of 4th places, Team GB top the table.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  12. The Ides of March

Kenya's Eliud Kipchoge wins men’s marathon!! Order restored again for Kenya after last night's horror show in the Men's 1500m!!

13. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I reckon Radcliffe is on cocaine.

14. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

He broke his ankle I think...

15. TheSecondStain

16. TheSecondStain

17. fatletiss

The mountain biking is mental.

18. TheSecondStain

Whether you like Rhythmic Gymnastics or not, whether you have seen this routine before or not, you have got to watch this. Some of the tricks that are performed live are astonishing. Hat is well and truly off: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37149116

19. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Centrowitz is trained by Alberto Salazar, who is dirty. Many of the Kenyans (including Kiprop) have Federico Rosa as an agent, who is equally dirty.

But doping is not the reason why the Kenya or the other East African countries do so well in distance running. They are legitimately that dominant. I don't think that Kenya as a country is taking medals away from other countries. But rather that certain Kenyan athletes are cheating and taking medals away from clean athletes who are more likely than not to be other Kenyans.

Not to single out Kenya. I think like you said, it's more a case of individual athletes, coaches, and agents. And with big bucks corporations like Nike and international mega-agents and coaches available even to athletes from less-wealthy countries, any elite athlete can choose to cheat. Or to compete clean.

The Ides of March likes this.
  20. fatletiss

The wife is sat here saying that it's good but Sports Acro Gymnastics should be in as its more of a sport... Guess which type she did? :)

TheSecondStain likes this.