1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Olympic Games Rio-2016 Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

I know very little about Boxing - but can't see how this French guy is getting so many points off the judges?

2. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

There's been some dodgy scoring in Boxing at these olympics, indeed there is lots in the sport as a whole including professionals.

3. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Dodgy win that.

4. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Also they clearly prefer some shots to others, so heavily reward them.

5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Joyce may have mainly been hitting his opponents arms, but how can you fight someone who won't fight. In other sports, the Frenchman would have been penalized for passivity.

6. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

John Inverdale has clearly not heard of Jason Kenny and Laura Trott....

7. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

That`s what I was thinking too. I didn`t like the disrespectful show-boating eithe

8. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I wonder if Alex Danson will get a gold postbox in her honour in Southampton....

9. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

The Closing Ceremony is on, and for me that's a shame. As usual I don't want all this great competition to end. Every day there has been something exciting. These Games have had a few detractors, who have seemed more content to dwell on the negatives rather than what has been positive, but overall I think Rio 2016 has done very well indeed. Typically, there have been occasional issues, which have been sorted out [OK, let's put it bluntly, fudged] in a Brazilian way. In Beijing everything was precision and the letter of the law, and in London there appeared to be the right balance [not unnaturally from a British perspective]. But Rio has succeeded in presenting Itself, Brazil, and the Games. As I suspected, the muck in the water wasn't the big deal it was made out to be, and the Zika Virus was something of a personal decision and the adoption of the recommended personal protection. The Zika Virus isn't Rio's fault and it didn't spoil the Games. I wouldn't mind betting there are several golfers, for example, who slightly regret not taking part, having seen what Justin Rose achieved.
    In a country that lives for football it's probably typical that other sports play an extremely distant second fiddle. But there were great moments for Brazil to witness, not least their getting some comeback for their World Cup defeat from 2014, and in this way football helped the Games for Brazilians. And after all, Brazil got themselves 7 Golds, 6 Silver and 6 Bronze - a very respectable total for a country that apparently doesn't care, nor fund Olympic sports in any organised way. OK, the population didn't turn up to pack out the stadiums every day, but that's another symptom of a country that lives for football above all. But Rio now has some infrastructure for kids who can't play football or who aren't that keen, so I'll be interested to see how they carry on from here.
    So now, roll on the Paralympics. I'm concerned that Rio has already left them short-changed, but I'm fairly sure that competition will succeed all the same. The IOC could help here if they wanted to. And they should.

upload_2016-8-22_0-39-31.png

Final full medal table here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016/medals/countries

The Ides of March likes this.
  10. TheSecondStain

OK, I've changed my mind about this closing ceremony. It's bloody impressive.

11. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Fully expecting Tokyo to blow the whole thing out of the water. Think after the Paralympics we'll be calling Rio an even bigger shambles.

Never got into it this time round but think Tokyo2020 will be epic.

12. TheSecondStain

Shame. You missed an epic sporting event. And I don't think Rio 2016 was a shambles anyway.

Velcro Roy likes this.
  13. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

My opinion is that the overview of these games has been made to feel better due to the excellent performance of the British teams. The greatest show on earth shouldn't be played out to half full arenas.

14. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Blow it out of the water? Do you mean a few more poxy fireworks for the press to gush over,or maybe more freebies?
    Rio was not a shambles on the sporting front despite some journalists best efforts to say it would be.
    It remains to be seen how the Paralympics pan out,no doubt the sport will be ok.
    Of course most of those fine members of the press will be long gone by then.

15. fran-MLs little camera

Everything looked okay from our point of view, but apparently there was some lack of organisation (notably transport) and technology wasn't up to scratch on occasions. However, the games went ahead and the athletes themselves made this an enjoyable event. Let's pray for the Paralympics. Apparently the Americans didn't do that well with their last Olympics...our rowing team had to hijack a bus to avoid missing an event and the volunteer drivers didn't know where the venues were.

The Japanese have promised us robots for the next Olympics!!

16. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Thank you TSS for sharing your thoughts about the whole event that we, even as viewers, have participated in. The Games are good as they show to youngsters there is more to life than football. And it all begins on the sports field or youth club to harness that individual talent.

17. fran-MLs little camera

I thought the frequent links on BBC to Get Inspired was excellent....some people may find they fancy a sport (available locally) that they may never have considered.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  18. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

That's exactly what happened with Amy Tinkler. She watched London 2012 on TV and was inspired by the British gymnasts doing better than they had ever done before. So she found a local gym in Bristol and just 4 years later was not only the youngest member of Team GB at 16, but won a bronze medal in the Floor. That, for me, is what the Olympics is all about!

19. fran-MLs little camera

Olympians all back flashing their medals....apparently the colour of your medal decided where you sat in the plane. Presumably the poor sods who got no medals travelled in the hold. :)

davecg69 and Saints_Alive like this.
  20. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

The Kenny-Trotts in BA First presumably....