Off Topic The Politics Thread (Previously the EU/Eurozone Chat thread)

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

<laugh><laugh><laugh> Oh get a grip QM ffs. This is the same old relentless drip drip drip of sub Daily Mail propaganda and smear that did not work during the election campaign and doesn't work now.

You need some new material. How about telling us what is good about May and the remains of here government? What do they have to offer the country as it prepares for the greatest constitutional and economic

Or, why don't we play a game? Instead of your habitual sneering at the EU - your other obsession after Corbyn - why don't you list the tangible, quantifiable benefits we can expect to see from Brexit? In your own time now.

2. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

I am not au fait with the minutae of the Tory/DUP agreement but I am pretty sure that there will be nothing to do with Stormont Power Sharing in it as the Tory government does have to try and get that restarted and remain impartial. I guess the problem is that everyone else except Sinn Féin got wiped out on 8th June, so they are going to be suspicious of any proposal by the Tories.

Most of the Tory manifesto bit the dust because they knew that they would not get it on the statute so they have just gone with Brexit stuff, where they could have relied on DUP votes without a pact because the DUP were a Brexit party.

As far as the Queen’s Speech was concerned, there was no way that the DUP were going to vote it down and risk giving Labour a chance at power. So in reality the only thing they gained at £100m an MP was DUP support for the Budget later in the year. Of course the £1bn is seized upon by the tabloids and opposition but half of it is money that N.I. was already getting so it is a bit of a con but it sounded good to DUP supporters across the Irish Sea.

3. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

I am struggling to find where I got FACTS from that you are quoting as coming from the Daily Mail. The link in the original post came from The Spectator. Presumably Wikipedia will be viewed as fake if I point you to the entry for George J. Mitchell: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_J._Mitchell No mention of Jeremy Corbyn’s role in the peace process there, so perhaps you should go and revise it.

At no point have I said that I thought Theresa May’s government was ‘good’ but it cannot be as bad as a shambolic minority coalition of neo-communist Momentum (formerly known as Labour) propped up by the SNP and the Lib Dems.

You have not managed to come up with a list of 50 MPs that support Jeremy Corbyn – which would only be one fifth of the PLP – and you clearly are so obsessed with staying in the E.S.S.R. that you have never read any of my previous postings about Brexit.

We get to decide who comes here so we can get the best people from anywhere on the planet rather than being forced to accept anyone that wants to come from any EU nation whilst turning away better candidates. We get to decide the laws of the land and the highest court of arbitration is in this land. We can trade freely with the rest of the world rather than being hamstrung by the terminally slow Brussels bureaucrats compromising with 27 other countries. You can also throw in the side benefit that the most expensive food market on the planet is the EU – we could start sourcing some of our imported foodstuffs from elsewhere in the world tariff free and actually reduce that aspect of the cost of living.

4. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Having a small financial interest in the HS2 project (being a shareholder in constructor Balfour Beatty), I was looking for articles about the Phase One announcements this morning. I found one on City A.M. by their ‘digital editor’ Emma Haslett. According to her “When it is built, HS2 will knock almost half an hour off the travel time between Edinburgh and Glasgow”.

So I tweeted her quote to Ms Haslett and appended the question “geography lesson needed?” She replied privately that she had meant London to Glasgow and has updated her article accordingly and it is now going to knock an hour off; however, should I tweet her again and tell her that she is still wrong as HS2 is only going as far as Manchester and Leeds?

It does not augur well for the future of journalism that the young journalists of today have so little regard for researching the actual facts of their stories before publishing them.

5. stick

stick Bumper King

Sorry to tell you QM but your expectation that we will save money on food is pure fantasy!

6. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Where did I say corbyn was involved in the peace process? I said he could be seen a a visionary for talking to terrorists when the government refused

7. floridaspearl

Here's my vision for the future. May is so **** scared of upsetting the brexiteers she'll be gone by Christmas. Labour will sweep to power with the mandate of a renegotiation with Europe they'll bite our hands off knowing we are leaving and everyone will be happy bar a few million racist and I'll be lauded as one of the great minds of the 21st century but I'll still be rubbish at picking a winner on a wet and windy Tuesday afternoon.

Chaninbar and Archers Road like this.
  8. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

No one will want to come here now that we have voted to become a third world banana republic. Was that the plan?

9. Der Kaiser

Der Kaiser 1 of the top judges in Europe

revolution is the only solution, tory vs labour is pointless peasant pish

if government answers to the bank, it doesnt matter whos reading the speeches

in the current reality, the government is bound by the system, it has no power, it cannot change anything fundamental about how things work, its a lame duck in other words

so why on earth should you give a **** which irrelevant, out of touch, private school nonce gets to play headmaster this time?

just what exactly is it that labour is going to do differently from the tories? are they going to spend their pocket money slightly more wisely? or slightly more in favour of something that benefits your particular demographic? are they going to be slightly better at operating with their hands tied behind their back?

wake me up when we decide to tear it all down and start again

10. stick

stick Bumper King

Slight exaggeration

11. floridaspearl

Says he who will slip off quietly to his hilltop finca in Spain

stick likes this.
  12. floridaspearl

Revolutions are expensive, we can't afford one we're still paying off the deficit

13. Chaninbar

Chaninbar Well-Known Member

With Vince Cable just about to take over as leader of the lib dems I'd be very surprised if they ever rowed in behind a labour government with that clown McDonnell as Chancellor. Mr Cable actually knows a bit about economics.

gazboy likes this.
  14. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

It is not a fantasy at all. The protectionist EU makes sure that everyone buys European by imposing tariffs on foreign foodstuffs. Once we are not forced to impose tariffs, we can import food that we cannot produce ourselves from cheaper sources. If the Europeans want to sell us the same produce, they will be forced to lower their prices or dispense with the tariffs. That will be good for EU member states as well as for us, although I suspect that the likes of the French will simply want more CAP subsidy for their farmers so Europeans will not see any real benefit as they will be paying the difference indirectly (as well all do now).

15. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

I was not replying to a comment made by you. I was replying to Archers Road’s ascertain that my comments were “Daily Mail propaganda” when I used an entirely different source.

If a visionary is someone who talks to terrorists when he is in total agreement with their anti-British cause, then he is the sort of visionary that we should be asking the Americans to house at Guantanamo Bay because we do not need him here. He has spent his whole political life supporting fringe minority causes but now he is figure head to a populist cause he is completely out of his depth because he would be expected to deliver not just talk.

A mandate to renegotiate with Europe would be a change of policy. Surely they need some sort of sub-committee over at Momentum to agree to that one. As Dave was going to renegotiate with Europe and lost the EU Referendum and his job, there are little grounds for thinking that offering such a policy would appeal to anyone but Remainers. Strange how there are still some people around who think that many of us Brexiteers are racists. If we hate people from Europe so intensely, why do we want to become part of the rest of the world with all those other horrible foreigners?

16. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Third world banana republic? Corbyn, Len and Momentum are not running the country yet...

17. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

He won’t be able to slip off to Spain because the EU will have expelled all Brits from Europe and we will have expelled their lot from our shores because intransigent EU Muppet Barnier insists that EU citizens living here must be governed by EU law, which is an unacceptable impasse.

18. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Momentum will be doing the Revolution via social media, so as long as they can get somebody to pay for unlimited broadband they can go ahead. Once they are running the country, the magic money tree means that everything will be free, the deficit will cease to exist and we can all stop work and enjoy the peasant lifestyle. Feckless students can get their Media Studies degrees for free and all be rich and famous on TV.

19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well it's obvious someone will have to give way. It will be a reciprocal agreement either way. I think you have gone slightly OTT there QM; unless of course that was tongue in cheek

20. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

They both want to scrap tuition fees and both have experience of losing elections with that policy so I am sure they can find some common ground. The problem for Vince is that the Lib Dems are way too far to the right for Momentum so they would do a deal with the SNP first as they share the same disastrous “progressive” ideals. Amazed that Momentum have not arranged for Tony Blair to be expelled from the “broad church” for daring to speak out and not tow the official line over the last week.