1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. Windom Earle

Windom Earle Well-Known Member

The UK black lodge wants it like that way ... All but single minded Zombies in a state of inert
    They have their leader now as we all head to the cliff's edge
    Nobody cares not even the 48% who voted remain ... it's worth pondering on that. A referendum that doesn't even need to be acted upon by UK laws ... Crazy stuff but there must be a bigger plan. 48% deserve the right to be European
    Take a standard UK street or cul de sac and explore exactly how divorced really society is

sb_73 likes this.
  2. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Spent six days in hospital waiting for the MRI
    Woke up on day four in the worst pain I have ever been in
    Three hours later there is no pain and have had no pain since
    Still not had the MRI
    Won't be getting one till October tenth
    Obviously the pills they have me on are masking the symptoms

We need to train more people to do the MRI as there is obviously a need after five and at weekends
    Would love to know how much a six days stay in hospital costs
    Not had a beer in a month

On a positive note I have lost nearly five kilos
    Just need to keep taking the pills till the results are in

Wherever likes this.
  3. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Come to the US Kiwi, get an MRI same day!

4. Windom Earle

Windom Earle Well-Known Member

Get better soon old kiddy

5. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Yes get well soon Kiwi.

6. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

It's about £400 a day just to lie in the bed, excluding treatment, in the U.K.

I just put on 6 pounds in 6 days in the US. And picked up a sinus infection from the violent air con. Still haven't met anyone, including cab drivers, shop workers and waiters/waitresses who admits they will be voting Trump. Two of the (always charming) people who put food in front of me this week were teachers needing to supplement their wages. They get about $40k a year gross teaching.

7. durbar2003

Teachers in the US get a lot more holidays than those in the UK, they also get a lot more benefits, health insurance (MRIs in a day or so), a great pension which they can take after they are allowed to retire after 20 years.

8. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

9. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Locally here many teachers are on the books as supply teachers, filling in for absences. This summer for two months I reported to one when working as a 2016 Census Enumerator (she was Supervisor) and she indicated that you have to get up early each day to check online for a chance to grab an available local supply teacher position (first come, first served), so quite a stressful lifestyle.

My daughter (24), already holding a BA (Psychology), graduated this year with a Masters in Healthcare Management & Administration, was head-hunted at job fair, stepping into a job with Blue Cross (an Atlantic Canada health care provider), with a starting salary of C$45K and a very good benefit package. Would a similar job in the UK start at an equivalent salary? Now she does have $58K in student debt after 2 degrees living away from home and if she hadn't found immediate employment after graduation she was threatening to move back home into her basement bedroom to save on expenses.

10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

That's about £26k pa, I think that would be top end for a first job in healthcare management in the U.K.

Apparently a good degree from a good university in Computer Science gets you the best graduate salary at the moment - over £70k.

11. Kilburn

So I wonder who will be burning the midnight oil for the Trump/Clinton debate - 10pm for myself, 2am for you guys?

12. Kilburn

Interesting, working in a relatively small IT shop we have really smart whiz kid programmers (with CS degrees) with 10 years experience on C$67k pa - one is in the process moving into a senior systems analyst position @ C$77k pa. Working in the public service you do sacrifice salary for job security, but you do have a very good healthcare/pension benefit package that includes 4 weeks paid vacation after 20 years service.

13. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

From the stuff on the news Trump/Clinton sounded like a dull 0-0 draw.

Heard the new leader of the National Union of Students on the news, talking about 'safe spaces', 'no platforming' and anti-Zionism. At least that's what I think she was talking about, almost totally incomprehensible, inarticulate and unable to say anything other than "like" and slogans. Obviously she wants to stifle debate as she would be crushed by an averagely bright six year old in any serious discussion. Tragic.

14. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

My understanding on the outcome of the debate was that it was a narrow victory for Clinton. Just read a report on the BBC and they more or less said the same. The opening line of the article says "It was a battle between the lawyer and the salesman and for the most part, the lawyer came out on top".

15. durbar2003

Got bored and turned it off after half an hour.

Kilburn likes this.
  16. Kilburn

I followed the whole debate. Trump seemed to more or less keep it together for the first 30 mins making some potentially valid points relating to trade deals, then gradually melted down for the next hour (literally drinking gobs of water) displaying his typical bombastic style, waving his hands about, with 51 interruptions of Clinton when she had the floor, rambling, going off topic and taking every bait slung out there by Clinton. I can only assume that the topic of immigration (Muslim, Mexican - the famous wall) has been saved for one of the two future debates.

A post-debate CNN poll of around 600 people (apparently slightly more democrat leaning) indicated the overall debate winner as 62% Clinton, 27% Trump and a group of 20 undecided voters (in Florida I believe) were swayed 18 Clinton, 2 Trump.

Now if only Bernie Sanders was Republican, that would have been an interesting debate, and presidential race.

finglasqpr likes this.
  17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

'Dr' Liam Fox "Protectionism never helps any body at all". Well it certainly didn't help the steelworkers of Redcar and Port Talbot, but their Chinese counterparts are doing alright by it. He also wants the future trade relationship with the EU to be 'at least as free' as it is now. What, he wants to stay in the Single Market?

Several Europeans on the radio this morning from different countries all stunningly consistent and much clearer than anything our own government is saying. You can't stay in the Single Market without free movement of people is the message.

18. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Let's have a freely moving market of single people.

19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Isn't that Market Harborough on a Friday night?

20. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Cardiff city centre any night

sb_73 likes this.