1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Just so long as no one believes he's being impartial! He's like a wounded animal over Brexit. I think his wife's taking it out on him.

rangercol likes this.
  2. GoldhawkRoad

Irrespective of including all your text, you still appear to be indifferent to having double the population density we have now - with added infrastructure sure, but it's still double the population. You say it wouldn't matter, but it would inevitably impact the green belt.

rangercol likes this.
  3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Sorry for butting in, but he also said double of the population of British people, not immigrants. Would you place a bit of the green belt ahead of somewhere for British people to live?

4. GoldhawkRoad

If you're doubling the population, it's not a bit of green belt. It would be a huge part of it with 130 or so million people. We would hardly be self sufficient in food, and countryside would be restricted to the few parks you referred to yesterday in Hong Kong. We would have abandoned all our responsibilities to nature and the natural world.

This argument is going on now. There are pressures all over the country to build on green belt. In my view, taking green belt greatly diminishes the quality of the whole country.

rangercol likes this.
  5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Right, a Mayesque answer from which I deduce that your quality of life is more important than future generations. Don't worry about it, I certainly feel that way for myself.

We are only 50% self sufficient in food now. But, one of the few benefits (in my opinion) of Brexit is soon we will be allowed to grow/rear GM food. It'll never provide enough home grown pineapples though.

6. GoldhawkRoad

I want to preserve quality of life for future generations - that's why I want to limit immigration and not concrete over the countryside

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

So, by extension, you would also want to limit 'British' population growth?

8. TheBigDipper

TheBigDipper Well-Known Member

Will you please stop putting words into my mouth? I don't mind debating the things I said and mean, but being sidetracked into debating things made up in my name...

I did not say the country should (which would imply I agree with the idea) have double the density. I am saying it could (which means it is possible, whatever I think of the idea) and it would not matter if the infrastructure was increased to match. As I suspect you understand perfectly well, this is just something I'm saying to illustrate a principle - that lack of infrastructure is the problem, not population density in itself.

What would you do to house the growing number of UK natives who need somewhere to live near their place of work? How would you stop greedy developers building in the Green Belts around our cities that were put there to protect us all?

9. GoldhawkRoad

The huge world population growth will be a major problem for future generations imo. Not sustainable, and neither is present population growth in the UK

rangercol likes this.
  10. GoldhawkRoad

If you say "could" and "it would not matter", then I read that as indifference.

I don't think that's unreasonable

"I could rob a bank and it would not matter". Indifferent

rangercol likes this.

11. TheBigDipper

TheBigDipper Well-Known Member

I'm indifferent to this, that's for sure...

12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Well, thats a very Malthusian view of population growth. Which of his checks to it do you prefer, the preventative ones, lowering the birth rate or the positive ones, raising the death rate?

People have been saying population growth is unsustainable for centuries. One day it might turn out to be true, but it's not inevitable. We just change the way we live. It's not necessarily worse than it was before, just different.

13. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Why is Germany's population falling ? Together with that of Japan and Italy ? In the first case this being despite high immigration.

14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Is that a rhetorical question? I have the impression you may have an answer in waiting...

15. GoldhawkRoad

Look at the trend. It took from the rise of man until 1800 for world population to reach 1 billion. It's now over 7bn, projected over 11 bn by the end of the century. Just how many rain forests do you want cut down to resource these exponential increases?

16. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

It's not a rhetorical question sb. All 3 of these are industrialized first World nations - which shows that population increase is not inevitable. Whether having a falling population is positive or negative only time will tell for those countries, but they seem to be coping with it. If they can do it then Britain can. Germany and Italy have some of the lowest birth rates in Europe - even amongst immigrant groups, whereas Britain has, apparently, 3 times more teenage pregnancies than any other country in Europe - why is that ? I am not saying that the proverbial 15 year old mother of 5, Tracey Smith from Luton is responsible for Englands population density, at least not alone. But there have been a whole host of factors contributing to the population growth rate in the South of England. European immigration alone would only account for about 10 per square kilometre, and the rest ?

17. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

It's because German and Italian women have the hairiest armpits (among other things) and no man wants to have sex with them!

18. Windom Earle

Windom Earle Well-Known Member

The imagr ants are eating them

19. Windom Earle

Windom Earle Well-Known Member

Do you use armpits for sexual pleasure you should be checking out the Slitshozen or what is well travel people call in Italy
    The sun kissed black olive duct

20. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

You really are a bit of a Theresa. Direct question dodged again.......The rainforests will grow back after our inevitable extinction.

You see a problem, do you have no potential solutions?

I think the UK population was stable until the late nineties, when larger scale immigration started, and I think some major immigrant groups have much higher birth rates than 'white British' on the census form, despite our teenage pregnancy record (actually that's falling as well). I think it's due to wealth, health, education, liberation of women to control their own fertility and expectations. The decline of the family as the core economic unit, increases in relative material well being, the massive reduction in infant mortality, rises in life expectancy and the recent cult of the individual over community all contribute in unconscious ways in the west. The booms in population are where these things don't all apply or don't apply so much. The cultural aspects are relevant. The average British Muslim woman has 3 kids,the average non Muslim British woman has 1.8. When the vast majority of the world's population are comfortable, educated and free to make their own choices, especially women, we'll have the opposite concerns about population. Just my thoughts.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016