1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Review Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, May 27, 2017.

1. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

We were probably working on Gray's Inn Road at the same time. I was working for Reuters, who had a couple of floors in the ITN building at number 200. The Quality Chop House dates back to the 19th century and is on Farringdon Road with its own butchers next door.

2. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I was in the old fever hospital next to a little cemetery/park working for a small consultancy, right next to the Calthorpe Arms. And 15 years before that I was a pond level writer (or clerk as we liked to call ourselves) at a start up online business news firm (in 1983 you had to have a wire, so it can't really have been online) near St. Paul's, which was (after I left) taken over by .....Reuters. Great eating on low budget around Smithfield in those days.

Stroller likes this.
  3. Stroller

I know the Calthorpe well. I ran a small finance team for Reuters Media, and used to take them there on the last Friday of each month in recognition of their 'hard work' in getting the monthly accounts out. We would go at lunchtime and not return - all acknowledged and paid for by the Company. One time a young woman in the team told me she didn't really want to go to the pub, so could she go home? Short shrift was given.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  4. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

Manga film - Spirited Away - not usually my sort of thing, but a lovely film, on DVD/download -recommended.

My wife's lasagne - truly awful, abysmal- best avoided.

5. West London Willy

West London Willy Well-Known Member

It Happened One Night

Year :

Director:
    Frank Capra

Stars:
    Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert, Walter Connolly, Roscoe Karns, Jameson Thomas

A rich, spoilt, but very sheltered socialite escapes her father’s yacht by diving overboard rather than face his wrath over her news that she married the first man she met on a previous day out. In doing so, she sets off a nationwide hunt, with her father trying to find her before she can reach New York and her new husband.

It Happened One Night is a timeless, curious thing. It’s definitely a chase movie, with Ellie (Colbert) striving to stay one step ahead of the law, her father’s hired detectives, and the press – for whom this story is a godsend.

It’s also a romance, building slowly as Ellie teams up with gruff New York reporter Peter Warne (Gable). Ellie needs help getting to her husband, whilst Peter – on his last chance with his editor and desperate for a story – negotiates an exclusive when they get there.

It’s very much a comedy as well, with the two leads in sparkling form and clearly enjoying the freedom that the – at the time – surprisingly risque plot and script allowed them. Against the backdrop of a host of vivid supporting actors, their relationship grows as they learn to trust and rely on each other’s abilities.

Frank Capra produced and directed this black and white masterpiece, which deservedly swept the board at the 1935 Oscars, winning in all five main categories (Actor, Actress, Director, Movie, and Screenplay), and generated $4,500,000 in revenue. Doesn’t sound much? It’s 138.5 times the amount it cost to make, which (for comparison) would be like Star Wars: The Force Awakens grossing over FORTY TWO BILLION DOLLARS. Not bad…

6. Stroller

Just heard a band called Public Service Broadcasting on the wireless. No doubt some on here will know of them, but I hadn't heard of them before (I just don't get to listen to much 'new' music). Stunningly beautiful music, somewhat reminiscent of the magnificent Blue Nile.

Edit: Just sought out some more of their stuff and it seems what I heard today wasn't typical, sadly. Still interesting, though.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    UTRs and Steelmonkey like this.
  7. Stroller

Watch this film.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  8. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

OZARK on Netflix, great 10 episode series, worth watching.

9. Shawswood

Shawswood Well-Known Member

Tried hard to watch the first two episodes, fell asleep four times

10. West London Willy

Great shows on Netflix worth watching:

Ascension
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
    Travelers
    The Expanse

11. West London Willy

Movie:

Lion (2016) with Dev Patel, Nicole Kidman, Sunny Pawar.

A young Indian boy gets separated from his family, and after a few months surviving on the streets of Calcutta 1500km from his home, gets adopted by an australian couple. Twenty years later he starts obsessing about trying to find his real family again, using the new Google Earth software. As his memories are sketchy at best, it'll take a while and consume his entire existence...

Interesting movie based on a true story, this was a lot better than I was expecting, and was completely dominated by the acting of Sunny Pawar as the young Saroo in his first ever film. The child's performance is exceptional, and if for no other reason, I recommend you watch this.

8/10

12. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Dunkirk, 7/10 worth a watch, caught myself holding my breath so I could breath under water twice, Harry styles alright for a debut, ****in Gerry bastards and no Americans

kiwiqpr, Steelmonkey and Uber_Hoop like this.
  13. Stroller

Going to see it tonight. Really looking forward to it.

14. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Sure you will enjoy, if enjoy is the right word

kiwiqpr likes this.
  15. Stroller

Tried to book the IMAX at Waterloo for Dunkirk, but it was sold out, so went to see it in South Ruislip at one of those nasty soulless complexes comprising an Aldi, Nando's, Starbuck's, Chiquito's and all the other compulsory franchises. The cinema itself was quite pleasant, with comfortable seats and a very large screen, which was a prerequisite for viewing this stunning spectacle. Amazingly, we were amongst no more than about 20 people for the early showing, which turned out to be for the best really. Our seats were about 4 rows from the front, which seemed a little too close, putting us in the centre of the action and giving me a feeling that I was not getting a complete view, possibly missing whatever was happening at the fringes. This, accompanied by the fact that the two seats behind us were occupied by a couple who seemed to be having a picnic of foods wrapped in impossibly noisy packaging, caused us to move to the back of the cinema. This was much more satisfactory, but meant that we had effectively missed the first few minutes of the film.

The film itself was every bit as good as I had anticipated, spectacularly shot and totally immersive, and with a score by Hans Zimmer that builds the tension to almost unbearable heights at times. Christoper Nolan likes to play with time, and the story is told from three perspectives on three different timescales - on land over one week, at sea over one day, and in the air over one hour. This sounds like it could be difficult for the viewer, but really isn't, as action that you have already seen take place in the air, later plays out as viewed from the sea or land. A clever device, which adds to experience. A highly recommended film, draining and emotional, and which I already want to see again. Go and see it, but make sure you have the right seats with the least distractions.

GoldhawkRoad and Steelmonkey like this.
  16. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

I took my 14 year old son to see Dunkirk tonight, who, to my horror asked if it was WW1 or WW2! Needless to say he will now be educated with a barrage of old style war films, The Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far top of the list! He thoroughly enjoyed the film, as did I, and I think he took a lot from it as it's not the sort of WW2 event that makes it into Call of Duty or other XBox games (he's quite up to speed on D-Day!).

The film itself is fantastic - a definate cinema experience (don't wait to see this on your TV, it really won't do it justice). As Stroller said earlier, I thought the music score was brilliant, it really adds to the whole experience of the film, building to a crescendo at certain scenes. There are some terrifying scenes - for instance I couldn't imagine the terror of being in the belly of a ship as it's torpedoed, but the film conveys this in a fantastic, gripping manner.

Overall, a must see if this falls into a genre that you like - 8.5/10

kiwiqpr and Stroller like this.
  17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Finally finished American Gods (got distracted by Noah Yuval Harari's Homo Deus halfway through, which was very disappointing compared to his Sapiens). Superb, though obviously an acquired taste. Not sure how watching a TV version can add anything to it.

Out of desperation on a long flight on Monday watched Logan. The X men films are one of my guilty pleasures, partly because they are packed out with very good actors (though still fundamentally escapist drivel, despite the racism sub text). But Logan is in a different league entirely. Some of the usual sci-fi guff, and packed out with much more graphic violence than the other films, but to my surprise this is a film about ageing, dementia, fatherhood and, above all, personal loyalty. Brilliant, best film I have seen this year next to The Red Turtle.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Hoop-Leif and Stroller like this.
  18. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

19. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Saw it with my som on Imax, really great film. I also saw Atomic Blonde, she was fantastic the rest of the film not so great.

20. Stroller

Saw this magnificent band again on Friday at Newmarket races.......

A day (or evening) at the races, followed by a live band, really makes for a great day out.