1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The RIP Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by durbar2003, Feb 3, 2016.

1. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Just found out & very sad news, fine actor & funny man, RIP.

2. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

Oh for ****'s sake ! Another comedy giant gone,so sad. Brilliant actor with a comic hysteria that was unique. I'll never forget his performances in Blazing Saddles, The Producers, Young Frankenstein, Stir Crazy, See No Evil,Hear No Evil and of course Willy Wonka. RIP Gene,a true legend !

NorwayRanger and Shawswood like this.
  3. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Blazing saddles was a classic!
    A very unique actor, quite different from others. RIP Gene Wilder

NorwayRanger likes this.
  4. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

I thought Gene Wilder and Richard Prior were both wonderful in Silver Streak. There's a lot of controversy at the moment about white actors blacking up, but Wilder's character's inept attempts at emulating a black man with rhythm from a radio to his ear was innocent and brilliantly funny.

5. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Hugh O'Brian, actor who played Wyatt Earp, dies at 91
    Had to be one of my favourite shows as a kid.

6. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Prince Buster, Ska legend passed last night.
    One of the true pioneers of his era.

Ninj likes this.
  7. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Prince Buster, was such an influence on British bands such as Madness, Specials and Selecter and now New Groove Formation....and that is how people like me become aware and grew to love ska.
    A great inspiration will be greatly missed

Ninj likes this.
  8. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

Sad news,used to love Ska music back in the day. Huge influence on Madness in particular,and other bands as Beth points out. RIP Prince, with a rock steady beat.

Ninj likes this.
  9. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Golf has lost it's first superstar of the television age with the passing of Arnold Palmer who dominated the sport in the late 50s and early 60s. Playing a swashbuckling style of golf that won him a massive following known as Arnie's Army he won seven major titles in that dominant period. Perhaps ironically passing away on the same day Rory McIlroy won the Tour Championship playing the same style of attacking golf that made Palmer such an icon. RIP Arnie...

10. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

When I was a kid in the late 60s Arnold Palmer was my golfing hero. I even had this:
    please log in to view this image

Didley Squat, Sooperhoop and Ninj like this.

11. Sooperhoop

Every golfer earning millions today should thank their lucky stars for Arnold Palmer...

12. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

13. Turkish" Premier" Hoops

Turkish" Premier" Hoops Well-Known Member

I will be glad when 2016 is over, far to many icons and heroes gone, but I suppose at our age it will just get worse all the people we admired when we were young are now very old and as they say the only thing that goes up and cannot come down is age.
    As Woody Allen once said " I don't mind dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens "

14. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Scottish boxer Mike Towell has died in hospital after he was seriously injured in a bout, his management have confirmed.

The 25-year-old dubbed "Iron Mike" suffered a fifth-round loss to Dale Evans in a St Andrews Sporting Club fight at the Radisson Blu Hotel in Glasgow on Thursday night.

15. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Looks like he was unwell before the bout....

Boxer Towell dies after Glasgow bout
    • 7 minutes ago
    • From the sectionScotland
    please log in to view this image
    Image copyrightSNS
    Image captionMike Towell was knocked down in the first round of the fight
    Scottish boxer Mike Towell has died in hospital after being seriously injured in a bout on Thursday, his management has said.

The 25-year-old, from Dundee, was rushed to hospital after a fifth-round loss to Welsh fighter Dale Evans in a St Andrews Sporting Club fight at Glasgow's Radisson Blu Hotel.

Towell's partner, Chloe Ross, said he "fought right to the end".

His management said he passed away with his family at his bedside.

St Andrews Sporting Club confirmed Towell's death in a tweet on Saturday morning.

"Within the last hour Mike Towell passed away - he will always be in our hearts #RIPIronMike," it said.

'Absolutely heartbroken'
    In a Facebook post, Ms Ross said Towell passed away peacefully shortly after 23:00 BST on Friday, 12 hours after he was taken off life support.

"I'm absolutely heartbroken to say my annoying best friend passed away tonight at 11.02 very peacefully," she wrote.

"Michael had severe bleeding and swelling to his brain.

"He had been complaining of headaches for the last few weeks but we put it down to migraines with the stress of his fight.

"It has been the longest 24 hours of our lives. My baby has lost his daddy. But he will be so so proud of his dad in what he achieved."

Ms Ross added: "Once he was taken off of his life support he managed 12 hours, 12 whole rounds off his life support, he fought right to the end and he's done us all so proud... He left doing the thing he's best at... there's only one."

Trainer Shane McGuigan said on Twitter: "Heartbreaking news that Mike Towell has lost his life. May he rest in peace, thoughts go out to his loved ones. #RIP"

Promoter Eddie Hearn said: "Absolutely devastated by the passing of Mike Towell - all of our thoughts with his friends and family at this time."

Towell was knocked down in the first round of the fight, before recovering to continue the match.

Referee Victor Loughlin stopped the fight in the fifth round shortly after Towell was knocked down by Caernarfon fighter Evans for a second time.

He received treatment in the ring and was given oxygen before being taken to an ambulance on a stretcher.

The boxer had been undefeated going into Thursday's fight, with 11 previous wins and one draw on his professional record

16. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Gerry Gow ex Bristol City & Man City player has also passed away. Only 64 years young from that horrible disease called Cancer.
    Tough Tackling midfielder player in his day.
    RIP

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  17. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Jean Alexander who played Hilda Ogden in Coronation Street has died three days after her 90th birthday. RIP <rose>

Woman Stanley, woman.

18. Sooperhoop

Her 'muriels' will be at half-mast, RIP 'Hilda'...

QPR999 likes this.
  19. cor blymie

cor blymie Well-Known Member

God Bless Jean. Hilda, Stan and Eddie Yates were comedy gold. That was when Corrie was worth watching. All three sadly gone. Rest in Peace

Tramore Ranger and QPR999 like this.
  20. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Anthony Foley the head coach of Munster Rugby died suddenly overnight in Paris where Munster were due to play Racing in the European Cup today........terrible sad, he was only 42. A great back row player in his day. RIP

QPR999 likes this.