1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Rumour Mill

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Apr 21, 2015.

1. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Well-Known Member

MANCHESTER UNITED are ready to sell midfielder Jesse Lingard to Bristol City in a £2.5million deal. (sun)

2. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

Rumoured 2.5million move for Jesse Lingard from Manchester united

3. tiger-emyrs-wolf

tiger-emyrs-wolf Well-Known Member

Get that one done steve please

4. algenon

algenon Member

5. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

6. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

He's on board according to BBC.

7. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

We have been linked with Jonny Williams of Crystal Palace (loan deal) - decent player

8. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

9. invermeremike

We'll see I suppose.

10. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

£6 million for Dwight Gayle

11. cidered abroad

cidered abroad Well-Known Member

If true, I agree that we need to have a much more potent and streetwise attacking force in the Championship as defences are lots better than League One.

However, I am a little concerned that all the incomers, except Ben Hamer, are offensively minded.
    Don't let us replicate the transfer dealings of the summer of 1998 when we totally ignored the defensive part of the team.

12. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

'Don't let us replicate the transfer dealings of the summer of 1998 when we totally ignored the defensive part of the team'

Spot on.

13. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Swansea looking to offload Michu for free, does anyone think he could do a job for us in the Championship? Would be a lot cheaper than Gayle or Grey.

14. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

In terms of transfer fee, but not wages - I think I read he's currently on £45k a week. Besides which, no chance he'd want to play in the Championship.

15. invermeremike

What went wrong with Michu? His exploits at Swansea seem to set him as a high performer and he then just evaporated from the scene. Is he a complainer or troublemaker because I regarded him as a player type that most clubs would want on board.

Nice thought I suppose but why do I have this awful gut feeling that Premiership players will rarely, if ever, want to come to Bristol City and even if they did then we would choke on their wage and personal demands? Looks like we have a tough road ahead attracting the kind of players we will need to survive at this level yet again. Sad state of affairs but we still have to trust our boss to get the job done but it might take a little longer than most of us would have wished.

16. DevonBornBristolBred

Survive at this level? I'm really don't thing we should (note should, football is a funny old game) have a problem surviving at this level; we have kept our league winning team together (who knows what interests and offers we have had to fend off, I'm sure there must have been plenty of interest in a number of our players) and don't forget we are a young team and should (haha are there is that should again) just get better. We are very thin on the ground that's true but we have brought in, on paper, quality players with potential and we all know how these things can just work (or not). We have the loan market to dip into and SC has proved to be very shrewd at using that particular resource.

Whilst I would be overjoyed to spend the next season jostling for a top six position, I would also be happy with a consolidation season (or two) and settle for mid table mediocracy whilst we settle down and take the time to add the right players to our squad.

17. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

disagree if the cherrys,the bees,the wolves, can do it why not us,momentum is key.
    Southampton and man city both went from league 1 to premiership.
    why not us.:emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes:

18. DevonBornBristolBred

I guess I'm just thinking of the past and sustainability. We're in a strong position right now, both financially and on the pitch (last 2 games excepted!). I just don't want to see us throwing silly money around on primadonnas who could just as easily upset the team spirit.

19. invermeremike

Getting what you wish sometimes can be a bigger curse than you expect. Now we all agree that BCFC should be an annual competitor in the Championship and look how hard a time we are having attracting players to come along with us for the ride.

As mentioned by Red Robin several other teams have made the transition from the 3rd level all the way to the Prem in successive seasons, however if you look at those cases you will note in most instances that the infrastructure was already in place to generate the revenue needed to prosper and survive. When we went to the playoff final I believe that we were close to full houses for every home match and yet we still lost 6 million or more, and that surprised me to be honest.

It would appear that clubs need about 25,000 average to have a chance of financial stability and, unless the spending goes idiotic, the players required to stay competitive. Just look around the league and see the clubs that bring in players who constantly moan about their lot in life and the one that springs to mind is Balotelli who now claims he will stay at Liverpool because he's due a loyalty bonus of six figures if he stays the full season. Go away you horrible man.

I don't think we have had the complete organisational infrastructure in place yet to hold and maintain the desired level of football that our owner and all City supporters feel they should be watching. Steve Lansdowne is working as hard as possible to get that security blanket to wrap us up for the fights ahead in our quest to be noticed and respected as a football club. Of course there are many other details that will make up the full meal deal and that's why we don't need players coming on board who for whatever reason have a penchant for upsetting the apple cart (dressing room).

Getting all the pieces to fit together to get the end result is more difficult than most of us can comprehend so I shall defer to those who know the business and trust in their abilities. As a wish I just would like this insanity of ever increasing salaries, that will eventually become totally unsustainable for 95% of football clubs, and moaning players who don't like it here would go away for ever to allow the game to return to normalcy as I knew it. No chance methinks.

20. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Bournemouth had a top 10 place in 2013/14 championship. The only teams I can think off doing double promotion was Southampton (who had the resources then plus infrastructure) and Norwich who also attracted 20-25k fans weekly.
    All the rest seemed to consolidate before they went up again, but maybe their fans was more patient and realistic in their goals.