1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The run-in

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Bicester Blue, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Even a play off place isn't secure yet. One bad run from us and a good run from some others is all it needs to dump us out of the play offs.

This game on Tuesday is so vital. We need the points and we mustn't lose confidence at this stage

Still think of last year's run in. Give me this any day

2. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

Southend only drew 0-0 so that's them out of the automatic promotion chase, just Bury to worry about now. <yikes> This is getting too close for my health but not as bad as last season. <laugh>

3. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

Any of the top teams got to play Hartlepool, Its Southend v Bury next week

4. mowgli1960

Games remaining.

Bury.

Southend (h)
    Cambridge (a)
    Morecambe (h)
    Newport (a)
    Shrewsbury (h)
    Portsmouth (a)
    AFC Wimbledon (h)
    Tranmere (a)

Wycombe.

Luton (a)
    Dagenham (a)
    Oxford (h)
    Burton (a)
    Cheltenham (h)
    Exeter (h)
    AFC Wimbledon (a)
    Morecambe (h)
    Northampton (a)

Not much in it i reckon we need a couple of teams to do us a favour if we can't get promoted on our own results.

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Get some backbone you lot for christ sake. Even Argyle COULD catch you but in reality it isn't going to happen. There are at least 4 hard games there for Bury and that's not counting the ones you least expect. Who would have predicted Hartlepool winning the last 3 on the trot? That's what this league is like and you should already know that. Have some bleddy faith in your players. This was the squad that must have been odds on for relegation at the start and look where you are.

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To be honest Greeny I'm just scared to be optimistic. I think the lads have done us proud whatever happens and I will be willing them on to the end. I think they deserve it

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

What's the worst thing that could happen Ron? That you only end up in the play off positions is that because either you are going up in the top three or you are in the play offs. I'd settle for that and our lot were expected to have either of those options on a plate this season by a lot of people. But, that's on paper and as many have already said football isn't played on paper. You haven't anything to be scared of really have you, the other clubs have got to earn more points than you have to catch you.

8. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

us versus bury for a spot in the top 3 - weve been here before!

In reality I think there is a lot of football to still be played and even shrewsbury and burton cant be completely certain of their promotion spots yet. However there is now more pressure on us to beat luton on Tuesday, and it will be a mark of how far or otherwise the squad has come from last season when the pressure made us bottle the big games (Bristol rovers, Northampton, Fleetwood against 10 men)

9. Cardiff-Wycombe

Cardiff-Wycombe Well-Known Member

Worst that could happen is we miss out on playoffs, injury to Hayes, Pierre or Ingram and we really lack cover. Saying that a top ten finish at the start of the season would have been dream land, therefore I'm happy and just hope we put in a performance on TV.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There you go, take a leaf out of Cardiff-Wycombe's book. The answer to how far this squad has come is already evident. You escaped by the skin of your teeth last season the dreaded drop and this season has been played out at the top end of the table instead. You are still there so that answers your question.

11. Cardiff-Wycombe

Saying that, considering the position we are in I would now be a little disappointed not getting in the playoffs. My heart says yes to promotion but can I really face another season in a relegation battle. Perhaps playoffs with a day out at Wembley and another season winning in league two would be best.

Ron likes this.
  12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

After losing away to Burton (and thanks to Bury losing)

Play offs. 3 points guarantees playoffs

Auto promotion. Whichever of Bury and Southend performs the better, we need to match them to secure automatic promotion

Who thinks we have a relatively easy run in?

Cheltenham - fighting to stay in the League (we all know how dangerous they can be)
    Exeter, Wimbledon, Morecambe and Northampton - all in with a chance of the play offs (as at today)

To me that looks like every game is a cup final

If, on the last match of the season, Northampton need all 3 points for a play off place and we need all 3 points for auto promotion that will be like a cup final

It will get more complicated with every game from now on unless Bury and Southend start dropping points

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  13. WWFCCALZY

WWFCCALZY Member

Bury and Southend still have to play each other. The way the fixtures are piling up for them there is a chance we could be promoted before that if they drop points beforehand. I think they will have to play the fixture on the Tuesday between our games with Wimbledon and Morecambe so will have to play Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday- Saturday-Saturday. Fingers crossed they will be knackered!

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

i suppose Bury/Southend being a draw would be handy, both dropping 2 points

15. WWFCCALZY

WWFCCALZY Member

A draw in that game could send us up without playing......depending on results beforehand....

16. mowgli1960

Exeter at home on a tuesday night is the only one that worries me, even bad runs have to end one day i suppose.

17. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

The Exeter home game is one that worries me also they also seem to better away than at home but as mowgli has pointed out all runs have to end sometime

18. Cardiff-Wycombe

I'm pretty confident that we will get at least a playoff place.

19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No bookies offering any odds for that <laugh>

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Chin up troops not long to go now........(cue Jaws music).......reading your board is like standing outside the maternity unit with a gang of expectant fathers. All that nervous pacing is not good for your ticker.