1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Squad...Currently

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by homepark_hobo, May 31, 2011.

1. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

Since we have no idea on the scale of investment (if any) - let us presume we will be left with the players who have not been sold (for now) or let go...

GK
    Larrieu
    Chenoweth

DF
    Nelson (likely to be a target for a bigger club soon)
    Bhasera
    Zubar (may get a bid for him)

MF
    Walton
    Arnason (is he still here?)
    Fletcher
    Johnson (will be off on loan again or sold)
    Young
    Bolasie (Pending Bristol C transfer)

FW
    Mason
    Patterson

Let me know if I have left anyone out.

This means that we would need several loanees or free agents to be brought in or perhaps several of the youth team will need to be promoted to senior early (or both). Additionally the wage cap in League 2 would mean that to bring anyone in the high earners such as Johnson and Walton will have to go out on loan again (If anyone wants them).

Any thoughts on this or anyone watching the free market for a viable target? (yes I know we are still under embargo)

2. Westernmac

Westernmac Member

I think we still have N'gala,and Bhasera plus the youngsters.

3. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

Oh yeah I forgot N'Gala, he could slot in nicely at RB with Nelson and Zubar central & Bhasera on left.

Some of the youngsters have been released though, Rickard I think was one. Shame.

4. Westernmac

Westernmac Member

I think the biggest problem is likely to be the salary cap. Walton & Johnson are still on Championship wages - Fletcher & Arnasson possibly as well. Might not leave a lot for any new players other than loanees. Fortunately. Peter Reid has a lot of contacts and I think we have a lot of well-wishers out there who will try to help us.

5. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

Particularly as we have been operating for the last two years on a loss.
    As you say mac, I hope Reidy can get a few boys in on the cheap, at least on loan.

6. Lee Honeywill

Lee Honeywill New Member

i thought chenoworth was also released

7. greenjock

greenjock Member

Its scary when you look at the list! I might start jogging over the summer just in case. I'll settle for a nominal wage if Argyle need a midfield anchorman who will just spray 50 yard passes all over the pitch because I'm damned sure i wont be tracking back to cover anybody :D

8. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

Sounds like most midfielders we sign just make sure those passes pick out the opposition and you´ll be a shoe in Greenjock!!

Just to make things even better they maybe reducing the salary cap as well from 60% to 55% of income,this cannot include donations or cash injections.

N´gala (when fit) with Nelson, Zubar and Bhas is a decent back four however Nelson and Zubar could well move on I think.

Fletch with Walton(the potentially good one hopefully not the petulant monster that often shows up) is a start to a midfield and with Bolasie would have been almost there.

It´s upfront we are really light. Mason carried too much this season and needs time, not sure if he ever will be a 30 goal a season striker but too early to tell and Patterson well perhaps Div2 is his level because championship and Div1 was above him.

So as long as we get zero injuries and suspensions we have half of a team barring any further transfers. Hope Reid has his little black book out and is lining up those loannies quick.

Forgot Arni what is happening with him? His contract is up this year I thought.

9. Steelthunderballs

Steelthunderballs New Member

Who really cares!

10. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

What a great little function the "ignore" function is guys, just go onto settings and choose who's posts you don't want to see and hey presto ;)

11. Steelthunderballs

Face, Bothered Legend. Still wont stop me taking the piss out of your beloved Plymouth Argyle.

:)

12. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It is quite a decent function as I have just found out. I see lips moving but no sound so to speak. Pity the original 606 didn't have that function.

The fortunate thing about the wage cap is that Argyle will be out of the woods debt wise even if it is by backdoor means. We have a much higher gate than the average club in League 2 so even if a few more desert our percentage to expend will be a higher amount than most. Some of the current wages are a problem it's true but I suspect we will have more than loanees on our books come kick off for the new season.

13. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes Chenoweth was one of three apprentices released.

With the salary cap in DIV TWO being discussed at present and a possibility that it will be reduced by another 5%, Argyle have already a little problem.

Fletcher,Walton and Johnson (if he stays) will eat up a large chunk of salary allowance,they are still on Championship wages and we can't afford them.

Fletcher won't be budging at his age, I doubt if anyone would want him.

Walton is regaining full fitness and might attract interest.

Johnson we can't afford,hopefully he might be fit enough soon for Huddersfield to maybe buy him,(never played a league match for us ).

With these three milking our salary resources there aint much left to build a team with, its going to be hard.

There is the possibility that anyone more valuable than the tea lady will be sold (or nearly given away to be honest), that would obviously include.....Bolasie (nearly gone ),Nelson,Zubar,N'Gala,Bhasera and possibly Mason.

We havn't heard if Zubar will stay, so what salary could we afford to offer him if Fletcher,Walton and Johnson are still on the payroll........not much I suspect....he could easily get more elsewhere,thats the reality we are living in.

Don't forget we are very much still in administration and it sounds a little rocky from recent tip bits we've heard on how its proceeding.

I'm sorry if it sounds all doom and gloom but thats how bad it became after the World-Cup shambles.

14. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Sensible, put simply in league 2 we will be a big fish in a small pond.

15. Steelthunderballs

Victor, You don't know wheather you are taking a piss or taking a **** Old Man.

Just keep burying your head in the sand fool. Higher gate than the average club in League 2....woooooopppppeeeeeeeeee!

Still without an owner and the longer that goes on the longer my smile gets. -10 to start the new season off in League 2 lol.

16. Steelthunderballs

Big fish in a little pond.....WHAT!!!!!!!

Automatic promotion 16/1
    Relegation 7/1

Read it a weep you deluded lot. I know where my £500 is going....cha ching again and again and again!

17. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just love the ignore button. Silence is Golden as they say.

I wish I knew just how much those players would take percentage wise from the pot. But I still feel there will be players signed that will be ours. I also think that Reid will produce the goods with some decent loanees as well. I'm not that up on the standard in League 2 so it will be like starting completely afresh and will make the season interesting that is for sure. Despite the predictions I don't think our slide will be any further. Until I see what sort of side we have and what the standard is it is hard to know how well we will fare. I'll settle for stability next season and then might expect a little more thereafter. Will be interesting to see the season ticket prices.

18. Steelthunderballs

Just an eductaed guess Vic, but the standard in League 2 is not as good as League 1, and a little better than the Conference.
    Eventually I think Plymouth will find their level and they are certainly heading in the right direction!
    Season tickets are available with a gallon of petrol within a 25mile radius of Khazie Park by the way!!!

19. greenjock

greenjock Member

Just discovered the ignore button myself after biting, so will remove my post and just keep adding the pricks new name when he has a flash of inspiration and changes his user name. I thought we were going to be a biggish fish in League 1 but didnt realise the scale of the **** we were in so hopefully this time we will actually be one of the better teams. Not sure what sort of squad we will have though.

20. Steelthunderballs

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Already after 4 hours I have managed to wind the fcuk out of Farmer Jock, Victor and the Bag woman legend. 3 down 3 to go.

Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy