1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The state of the NHS...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Kempton, Jan 8, 2015.

1. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Condolences Thudd, 53 is no age.

Kempton and Sir Cheshire Ben• like this.
  2. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

So anyway, dads back in HRI after another fall caused by a urinary infection. This isn't my reason for posting though. When visiting tonight, my dad asked about City in general.

Then the elderly chap in the next bed joined in our conversation and then the bloke in the corner. To cut a long story short, there are four elderly patients in dads room and all four are City fans.

All of them look in a terrible state of disrepair.

Is there a connection between our old folk and this difficult season we're having?

Come on City, get your ****ing finger out and give these long suffering fans a boost <ok>

3. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Mebbe it'd help if you stopped telling them we're going to win Kemps. Its the hope that gets ya not the despair. <ok>

4. Kempton

Chazz mate, it's me ****ing dad who keeps telling me we're going to win.

5. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. No great age. My dad was 70 when he went and it still seemed too young.

6. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

My mum had a serious operation at HRI over Easter.

They're doing a grand job. Deserve so much better.

Kempton likes this.
  7. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

My old lady's in Castle Hill. They found a tumour in her intestine last week & whipped it & part of her intestines out this evening.

Each time I've spoke to her over the last week she's talked more about the wonderful docs & nurses looking after her than her problems.

On the plus side I've spoke to the old fella & she came out of surgery at quarter to 8 & is feeling ok all things considered.

The NHS is an invaluable institution manned by exceptionally skilled & dedicated people.

8. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

I don't want to go all UKIP but too much money is being spent on giving treatment to immigrants and health tourists.....Start spending the money on only those who contribute to the system......

PS...My experience of the NHS is less than rosy...A lot of fat arsed, couldn't care nurses doing ****-all.

9. Kempton

If you're going to make a post like this, I think it should at least be backed up with an explanation? If you want to go private, go private, what's stopping you?

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  10. The B&S Fanclub

I don't think I need to explain anything, because you wouldn't believe it if I told you. Suffice to say a close family member died in Hull Royal 7/4/2007 and the care was less than good...Hence the comment about fat-arsed nurses....End off....

11. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

It does get easier, a little, or so I'm told.

Similar circumstances last year July 27th my Mum had a massive brain haemorrhage aged 60. She died on the 5th August after 5 days in ICU then onto a ward minus drips awaiting the end.

In these circumstances the NHS, in particular the staff at HRI were absolutely brilliant. As a family we were around the bed 24/7 for Mum's last few days - the staff couldn't have been more helpful, understanding or considerate.

It's only 10 months ago, and it still hurts. I was on the scene literally minutes after it had happened, she could still answer questions and was semi coherent, to then lose her 9 days later, to me seems absurd.

I miss my Mum massively.

12. The B&S Fanclub

I know how you feel fella.....I miss my mum massively.. Eight years ago, but I still think about her every day...

Kempton and GLP like this.
  13. Kempton

Why didn't you go private mate?

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  14. thistimetigers

thistimetigers Active Member

First thing - all the best to all of you who are dealing with family illnesses. Hope your Dad improves soon Kemps.

It it's so sad to hear about the state of the NHS. And what a cruel irony that a social advance that Britons were so rightly proud of and led the world in, is now apparently so third rate. It took Australia until the 1970's to get a proper public health system and that is also now under attack. The US is only just beginning - with extreme opposition - to try and embrace something resembling public health.

My congratulations to all of the posters so far in managing to abide by the "no politics" rule in commenting on this thread. Therefore I'll restrict mine to the situation here in Australia. The one thing the Liberals (Conservatives) here are right about is that the Nations income is reducing. So I guess there is ascertain logic when they lecture the population about the need to accept the need for sacrifice - after all, how can we afford a proper health care system and continue to reduce business tax rates, give superannuation tax breaks to the richest people in the country, allow Rupert Murdoch's NewsCorp to pay NO TAX by shifting profit overseas, continue to militarily support a corrupt Government in Iraq (what a sensational little multi billion dollar jaunt that's been), etcetera, etcetera....

I guess the fact is that right across the West, the few gains made by the working class since the Second World War (gains led by the British) and gains that have shone a favourable light on democracy and prevented the need for revolution and the slide towards dictatorship and tyranny; are all being clawed back by the super rich who have sulked and resented the need to share a nations riches.

And all the while, the so called Labour parties have cowed to the wishes of the rich and powerful and collapsed in the face of Murdoch type assaults, and most shamefully, they have failed not only to present a vision for a prosperous and FAIR society (both things are possible), but the have failed to defend their - and society's - past gains and accomplishments!

I hope someone stands up for the NHS.

look_back_in_amber and Kempton like this.
  15. where's les mutrie now

where's les mutrie now Well-Known Member

Evidence please. The NHS doing it's best in difficult times.
    Hope Kemps' Dad will be better soon and a City win would help cheer up him and the guys on the ward.

Kempton likes this.
  16. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

Heaven forbid anybody came here and fell ill, what would you tell them? "Oh I'm sorry you've contracted pneumonia but because you can't recite the first verse of God Save the Queen you're going to have to die? " What kind of country would allow that? And how do they decide where the money is being spent, it's not like there's a seperate pot of money to deal with non-British people, it all comes from the same place. If we started denying foreigners treatment on the basis of their country of origin, then...well, it'd just be racist wouldn't it?

17. Sikkedogsvendestykke

Sikkedogsvendestykke Active Member

Its no consolation I know, but here in Denmark (where I live for my sins) the public health service is no better than what I hear of the NHS. Don't be fooled by all the tripe about Nordic paradises and the world's happiest people and the epitome of welfare states.

Just what Denmark spends its taxes on is anyone's guess. Stupid amateur theatres and art galleries? Roads? While the Danish spending on defence is less than half that of the UK, and their taxes much higher, hospitals here are frequently overfilled with people put in bathrooms or out in corridors for days on end. They'll gladly spend 5000 quid of taxpayer money to give single women fertility treatment, and then give them a year off work with pay to look after their newborn infant, and then for the next 16 years or so pay public support for that child, and while this is going on, the elderly and seriously ill are left for hours on end in a hospital bed wearing a soiled nappy.

It is all a question of priorities, and our choices reflect exactly what sort of people we are.

18. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

It may just be a coincidence but I've been hospitalised a few times, as have my parents and other relatives.

The doctors have always been exceptional - the standard of nursing I have witnessed has been absolutely shocking. During one spell, my mother actually made and changed the bed sheets herself of mine and other patients as the nurses didn't do it. They weren't too busy, they spent most of the day on reception talking about soaps.

Most I've seen are vastly overweight too.

I know others have had different experiences but from mine and my family's I've found them poor and unprofessional.

19. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Must agree with the overweight bit. Though my treatments, of which there have been quite a few, have with two exceptions been excellent, one memory was going to a physio session to be lectured about the importance of eating sensibly and exercising by a lass the size of Dawn French before she lost weight. A lot of the nurses were of a size where they would be refused treatment themselves unless they lost weight.

20. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Most of us go on holiday all over the world, often to places with no NHS and so we take out travel insurance, no reason why others couldn't do the same. My mum and her fella go to Tenerife for two months every year, if there's any medical issue, they have to pay before they can get any treatment. On their last trip they had a problem and no doctor would see them until their insurance company confirmed they would pay, they ended up having to find a grand in cash and then sort it with the insurance company afterwards. We make it so easy, some people only come here because they know they can get free treatment.