1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Stingrays have done one...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Jun 24, 2015.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Elite League ice hockey club Hull Stingrays liquidated

please log in to view this image

Elite League ice hockey club Hull Stingrays have folded after their failed attempt to find a new owner.

Bobby McEwan had been in charge at Hull Arena for three years, with the team reaching the play-off finals weekend last season.

The Glaswegian, who had been involved with ice hockey in the city since 1988, had been working hard to find a new owner and described the decision as the toughest he has ever faced.

"It is with great sadness I have to inform you that this is the end for Hull Stingrays,” McEwan told the club’s official website.

"The loss of a major sponsor, increased operational costs, the introduction of ice-time charges as well as the shortage of fans attending our matches have left me with no other choice but to liquidate the club.

"There had been interest from parties willing to take control of the club but once that failed to materialise there simply was no other alternative.

"Reaching the play-off finals weekend and coming within a whisker of progressing to the final last season filled me with immense pride.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my three years in charge of the Stingrays - it was a dream come true for me. Sadly, that dream has now come to an end.

"It has been an extremely stressful time for my wife Debbie and I and this is the toughest decision I have had to make in my life.

"I would like to apologise to (player-coach), Omar Pacha, (assistant-player coach) Carl Lauzon and (captain) Matty Davies for not being able to build on last season's success.

"Finally, I must thank our loyal supporters for all their backing over the years - I am just sorry it has had to end this way."

http://www1.skysports.com/more-spor...gue-ice-hockey-club-hull-stingrays-liquidated

2. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Liquidated? Sounds like the job of freezing their assets has ended up as a slush fund.

3. mauled1904

mauled1904 Well-Known Member

What are the council going to do now, with their heated swimming pool/ ice arena plans

4. The FRENCH TICKLER

The FRENCH TICKLER Well-Known Member

Panic. :emoticon-0102-bigsm

As for the Stingrays,, It is not quite as clear cut as some think but certainly messy. Companies house report is interesting.

Fans who have already paid out for season passes using credit cards need to get the liquidator to issue a letter confirming what has happened.

Bad news for hull hockey fans.

5. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

when u think mr Allam is bad , the the Stingrays owner is Badass !!!

where did the money go ? henchmen hoodlums and i'd better stop right there .

.... likes this.
  6. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

There wasn't any money was there, I thought that was the problem?

7. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Just heard their Captain on RH saying Hulls a rugby town. **** em.

Happy Tiger likes this.
  8. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

In that case, yeah **** em!

9. TurkeyTeeth™

TurkeyTeeth™ Well-Known Member

The good news is that theres only about 10 of them.

10. ....

.... Well-Known Member

having played through the junior ranks and for the senior team on a couple of occasions ... the biggest problem was the owner who had the arena owner held over a barrel ... its a very sad day as Jonker Johnson was never allowed to carry on his good work due to bobby ****face McEwan ... absolute drain on anything they had left

WhittlingStick likes this.

11. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

I heard that. The sporting support in Hull is split between FC and Rovers. No mention of the team with the most support and no intervention from the presenter to put him right.

12. WhittlingStick

some really dodgy **** was going on behind the scenes , in public meetings and in the not quite privacy of boardrooms .
    sadly the HDM sports reporter has conflicting interests in bringing this to light when there was a rival bid to run the club

13. WhittlingStick

looks like part of the failed fan consortium , along with a recent ex player are to create a new team -
    funny but i already know the name of the new team - it has a very nautical theme .
    A team in the EPHL would be much more of a sustainable idea ,

So long as any owner can account for missing season ticket sales it will be an improvement on my breakfast .

14. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

It's sad that Hull loses another focus for sport; all of the rigmarole over the Airco Arena and the indignant noise about sport being the loser is lost when some of those same posters treat this as a humorous event. The more I read of the posts on this board the more it becomes apparent that Hull is a rugby city because the football support, at least a decent part of it, is very sad and bigoted towards anything other that it's own very poisonous back-yard. It seems to be the way of football in general and a very good reason to pull away from it. A good mixture of sporting excellence has to be a good thing for any community, surely?

15. Wildie

Wildie Well-Known Member

So FC capable of 11-12,000, Rovers capable of 7-8k (both with little away support) = approx. 20k rugby fans
    City were getting 23k-24k - with around 3k away fans = 20k fans

Pretty even between football and rugby - you even say yourselves that there are a lot of plastics at City games, yet you include them in your statements about having the most support?

16. Barchullona

I said the team with the most support. You are adding two teams together to get your figure. Usual selective rugby league nonsense. The figures you quote show City are the best supported of the teams in Hull. You then deduct away fans and assume every game sold the away allocation out but don't deduct away fans from the rugby crowds.
    BTW, why is there little away support for games in the capital of rugby league against the two world famous rugby clubs? It is like away fans not going to Old Trafford or Anfield.

17. Barchullona

You are joking, aren't you Fez. Try reading the forums of the two rugby clubs for sad, bigoted remarks.

As for a rugby city, ignore the teams and concentrate on the sports. Compare the pubs and clubs when a major football tournament is on to when a rugby league one is on. The two lowest crowds in the recent RL World Cup were in Hull.

18. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Combined rugby attendances last season were 18,911, City's average attendance was 23,557 and I believe the rugby attendances have dropped a bit this season, also City's were restricted by being full for the bigger games. They're really not even at all.

I have no interest in rugby personally, I hope both our teams do well, but they are as big as they'll ever be, handled properly City could potentially double the rugby attendances.

19. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Good post
    To many in this city are begrudging of other peoples likes.
    Surely having success at any level is good for the city

PLT and Fez like this.
  20. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Don't read them then.

There's probably someone on there now posting about the sad, bigoted remarks of Castro...