1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Stingrays have done one...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

1 in every 4.3 for me & I'm a ****.

Like it or not, I'm a well liked ****, you ****s.

Chazz Rheinhold and HHH like this.
  2. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

Dislikes must have been added to likes on the move.

Only reasonable explanation.

3. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Absolutely terrific post
    And it's not confined to any one club/team
    We seem to live in a city that's hates itself and will do plenty of backbiting
    West hates east,east hates west , football hates rugby etc etc blah blah blah it's about time people grew up
    People from other cities don't under stand the mentality between the rugby and footy fans.
    It just sums up the backward thinking mentality that has prevailed in this city for decades and makes us look petty

Fez and HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) like this.
  4. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Hard to read my phone in the sun, but remind me, where did I say you did? Do you deny the constant tone of your posts would lead folk to believe you are one of the bigots I speak of?

5. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Nothing against the game of rugby league. Used to go to games at one time when I lived in Hull. The fitness and toughness of the players is to be admired.
    My beef is with those that big it up into something it isn't and those sad people, and there are some, who actively wish the local football team to fail. I used to live in Leeds and you never saw a Leeds rugby fan rejoicing when Leeds United lost or going around with a Leeds RL sticker next to a Man U or Liverpool one in their car.
    The moderator on the FC forum used to have a signature of "Hull FC and Leeds United - The Pride
    Of Yorkshire" FFS.
    The obsession of some in Hull with RL and how it supposedly brings the city world wide recognition has done little for the city in my opinion.

6. Quill

Quill Bastard

1 like per 18.7 posts.

I'm ****ing popular I am. <ok>

7. Barchullona

To be fair how Happy has a better ratio than yourself is a complete and utter mystery.

PLT likes this.
  8. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Try ignoring them, instead of joining them in their petty ****e. You come across as a sporting bigot, perhaps that's not your intention, but ...

9. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

Like I said. The correct figures for likes didn't carry over to the new forum software.

Regular posters, like quillio, will have lost the most.

10. armchairfan

armchairfan Well-Known Member

It's always a struggle for minority sports in this country sadly with the over emphasis the media pays to just a select few things. Baseball (which formely had it's UK HQ in Hull) is another example, as is speedway. I remember the great times with the Humberside Seahawks in the early 90s when I was at university and saw them play in various southern arenas. Ice hockey clubs are in perpetual danger of going under and the various incarnations of Hull's ice hockey team is just another illustration of that. There's always a dedicated buch of people willing to go against the sheeples and fight for a minority interest, so one day maybe an ice hockey team will rise up again. As a sport it can definitely be very skillful, fast and excitingly attack driven. No permanent man advantage so you have to exploit such an advantage immediately you have it.

11. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Sheeples is a great word.

12. Barchullona

The media concentrates on things people want to watch generally. If enough wanted to watch or read about a sport then they would feature it. Of course if a lot if people wanted to watch a sport it wouldn't be a minority sport.
    Lacrosse is more popular world wide than rugby league so why don.'t we hear more about that?
    If everyone decided to follow the lead of those advocating ice hockey wouldn't they in turn be sheeples?

13. armchairfan

Football dominates more because of tradition than anything else. Anything with less history will struggle for that reason alone and the fact that the national media and TV companies are ultra conservative. Variety is the spice of life but to find it with anything you have to explore for yourself. It's the same with any entertainment, whether it be music or anything else.

14. Barchullona

Football dominates because it is the most popular sport in this country. If rugby league or rugby union was they would dominate. Nothing more complicated than that.

15. armchairfan

Obviously tradition is what makes it so dominant (or if you want 'popular', though oversaturation doesn't help it these days I think). People grow up with it, watch it with their parents, play it at school.....

16. Barchullona

Those are the things that make it popular. Ice hockey is a foreign sport, like baseball. Some countries have newspapers full of ice hockey. That is because it is popular there and people want to read about of it. It isn't the case here so you will just have to deal with it.

17. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Some wonderful theories about success on here, such a pity they are all total bollocks. Football is successful due to their incredibly short club names; Ice Hockey has no chance with names like Stingrays ffs. It's on his CV, get a copy, get educated and stop wasting space on this board.<doh>

Sir Cheshire Ben and PLT like this.
  18. armchairfan

I don't like to limit myself to a 'this is British that is foreign argument' with culture and entertainment, the internet has encouraged me even more in that direction being as global as it is.

19. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Sheffield Steeldogs boss Shane Smith gets backing to launch Hull Pirates ice hockey team

please log in to view this image

ENGLISH Ice Hockey Association chairman Ken Taggart believes Shane Smith has the right credentials to make a success of running Hull's senior ice hockey team.

Smith – who has run the Sheffield Steeldogs for the last five seasons – is expected to be unveiled as Hull's new owner once negotiations are completed with rink owners the City Council for the ice-time contract.

His arrival comes less than a fortnight after team owner Bobby McEwan announced he was shutting Hull Stingrays after deciding he could not fund a fourth season at the helm. Within hours, the Elite League had unveiled Manchester Storm as its new 10th team.

It left Hull Arena without a senior side for the first time since 1988.

Since then, though, speculation has been increasing the city will play host to second-tier EPL hockey in 2015-16 with a team under the Hull Pirates name.

The EPL is played under the EIHA umbrella, and Taggart says he expects Smith to rescue Hull from oblivion.

He said: "Shane has a very good record of running Sheffield and a business plan
    please log in to view this image
    that makes sense, I think he will be good for Hull. I am happy we are maintaining senior hockey in Hull, both personally and from a league point of view."

Taggart, though, expressed sympathy for McEwan, who had run the Stingrays since May 2012, thus fulfilling a dream.

"I feel bad for him," Taggart told the Mail from his home in America.

"He risked a lot financially in trying to keep hockey going, but he got to his limit and had to call time on it."

The news of Stingrays' closure came last week, but McEwan had indicated to the Elite League at least a week earlier that he would not be continuing.

It has given the Council little time to meet any interested parties in taking the Arena's ice-time contract.

Taggart said: "I have to commend the Council for reacting as quickly as they have. They have been very supportive."

Only Smith has publicly admitted his interest in setting up a team in the wake of Stingrays' closure, but indicated in yesterday's interview with the Mail that the Council had more than one option.

Unconfirmed social media speculation suggested one was Paul Fielder.

The Hull businessman was not available for comment yesterday, but did throw his hat into the ring three years ago.

On that occasion, the Council was considering its options when Coventry Blaze announced they would not be returning for the 2012-13 season.

Fielder eventually pulled out, helping pave the way for McEwan to take over.

In April 2014, it is believed Fielder "maintained a watching brief" as Hull-based LINN Consortium fought, unsuccessfully, to wrestle Stingrays from McEwan.

Other names being touted in social media circles have been South Yorkshireman Shaun Smith, plus one or more members of "LINN".

Shane Smith faces sizeable obstacles once the ice-time deal is confirmed.

Apart from funding two clubs, there is the question of finding enough British players as Hull switch from the 13-import Elite League to the four-import EPL.

It leaves Smith hoping to persuade the likes of Hull-based Sam Towner and Jamie Chilcott to drop down a league to stay in the city.

The other problem is what happens to those who have already paid for their season tickets ahead of Stingrays folding.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Shef...tory-26822920-detail/story.html#ixzz3eozMiv6b

20. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

that last sentence made me chuckle , history repeating ...