1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Summer/Pre-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by old timer, May 1, 2017.

1. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Welcome to the GAS Liam Sercombe

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/2017/may/signingliamsercombe/

Darrell Clarke today made Oxford United midfielder Liam Sercombe his first summer signing, bringing the former Exeter player to the Memorial Stadium for an undisclosed fee.

A number of other clubs were interested in signing Liam, and Darrell was clearly pleased that the player had chosen to join Rovers.

“Liam was one of my top summer targets,” said Darrell, “I was interested in signing him a couple of years ago as he is a quality attacking midfielder and I am delighted that he has agreed to join us. I’m sure that our supporters will remember him from his time at both Exeter and Oxford and will welcome and appreciate the way he plays the game and I am grateful to the club’s owner and directors for their backing as we prepare for next season.”

Meanwhile the player was pleased to have signed for the club and said; “I wanted the transfer to take place before I took my holiday so that I can relax before coming back to a lot of hard work in pre-season. As soon as I knew of Rovers’ interest, there was only one place I wanted to go. People who know me will also know how much I wanted to come here. I’m very happy and can’t wait to get started. I want to help this club go forward because in my eyes it’s a big club and one that can definitely go places and I want to be part of it.”

Sercombe graduated through the youth system at Exeter and made his first team debut for the club against Altrincham in August 2007. It was at the start of a successful Conference campaign for The Grecians, who were promoted to League Two at the end of the season. Sercombe made seven appearances that season and appeared in 29 games during the following campaign when the club were promoted again, to League One.
    After two seasons at that level The Grecians were relegated back to League Two in 2013, but the midfielder was a regular in their side side for the next two seasons before joining Oxford in May 2015.
    His first season with the U’s saw him miss just one league game as the U’s, along with Rovers, gained promotion to League One. There was also an appearance at Wembley as his side were beaten 3-2 by Barnsley in the final of the Football League Trophy.
    In the season just ended he was again a regular in the Oxford side and appeared in a Wembley final for the second successive year. Although his side were beaten 2-1 by Coventry City in the EFL Trophy Final, he had the consolation of scoring his side’s goal.

In his two seasons at The Kassam Stadium, he scored 17 goals in 77 league appearances.

Liam has appeared against Rovers for both Exeter and Oxford. His first appearance at The Mem for the U’s saw him pick up a red card as his side ran out 1-0 winners in September 2015, which he remembers well; “I asked Darrell why he was signing me, as there was my red card in that game and when I played here last season I set up a goal for Matty Taylor!”

Quilllogic likes this.
  3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

4. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Good signing looks to have a bit of pace and he knows where the net is 1 down 9/10 o go

Joe Skarz has left Oxford

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I too think this is a good signing. Wonder how much he costed us.

6. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Looks like we got Adam Sandler in a Quartered shirt !

7. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

8. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

9. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

10. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

11. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

12. old timer

Rovers have signed Rollin Menayese from Weston for the U23s. He is a Welsh Youth Intl

13. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Comment 83 <whistle>

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Rollin will, initially, join our U-23 squad under the guidance of Chris Hargreaves.

Chris said today; “I am delighted that Rollin is joining us for next season. He spent some time training with us towards the end of last season and I was impressed with his work ethic and willingness to learn. He will be joining us, on a full time basis, for the start of pre-season training and would like to formally welcome him to Bristol Rovers. He already knows some of the squad and I’m sure he will settle in quickly and I look forward to working with him again.”

The 19 year old central defender was formerly with Cardiff City and is a Welsh Youth International and is described as a player with good technical ability who is a threat in both penalty boxes.

16. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

So thats 2 signings for our U23 team and 1 signing for our 1st team so far.

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

This has upset quite a few gasheads! Reason why is because Rovers have been promoting this game (without knowing who the opposition) for the 19th July. But now they have changed it to the 18th July. Issue is, many gasheads who are going to this game in Portugal, have arranged their travel and accommodation to arrive late on 18th July or early 19th July way before kick off. But now where the club has changed the date to the 18th July, this means they will be arriving either during or after the game has finished! It will cost a lot of money to amend their flights and accommodation.

18. old timer

Steve Hamer saying according to sky sports news and I believe in his interview that the Rovers want to talk to DC about a new contract could be our best signing of the Summer and if the offer is accepted that would encourage the players old and the ones coming in that the manager will be around for a long time

19. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I dont believe what is being said about UWE though.

20. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

I have reservations over this as well Captain. It's not the meetings which Rovers have with UWE that are concerning. It's the closed in house meetings over this issue within UWE that worry me. I don't know if anyone has at any stage released a copy of the minutes of any of those meetings. But having sat on many internal Senate meetings which discuss these sorts of issues, I have seen that it only takes one awkward customer to derail a sensible agreement. IMO these discussions have gone on too long and the likelihood of a resolution to whatever is the stumbling block makes an agreement between the parties less likely as time passes. There is a sort of deadline when planning runs out n January. Let's hope common sense prevails and this issue can be resolved so that we can all move on.