1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours The Summer Transfer Rumour Thread 2016

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Give him an improved 2 year contract...he'd still have a season to run after next and we'd still get some money and have him in case JRod/Austin don't play much. . He would get better wages and still be in the EPL to keep his Italy manager happy. Win, win.

2. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Can't assume Pelle will decline rapidly. He is obviously not dependant on speed and may continue to play at this level a while longer.

3. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I read Beddy's first line as a reference, in part, to us regularly selling players. If so, then for me this goes a long way to answering the first post.

If you have a club who is known to be a selling club (and I'm not criticising the club for this etc, just stating a fact), then it is surely only natural that the media will continue to link players away from that club. Whether such stories have any actual substance to them or not, they will generally always come across as being plausible until the club ceases to be known as a selling club.

I absolutely do not think that it's because the media simply dislike us.

4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I'm not assuming Fran, I'm seeing it. I'm also told that part of this is down to a knee problem. I think it is pretty fair to judge a type of player and what they can contribute at an older age based on size, fitness, etc.

For me Pelle has been a huge benefit for Saints and I can see him being a contributor next season too. I can't see him being much beyond that. He isn't that good at holding the ball up and our play is much more fluent when he is not playing, but that's not to say he is not a player we should keep. I just believe that we've had he best from him and one more year would be about it. I certainly wouldn't want to be paying out a big wage to him for the two seasons after next.

Edit: oops, that was not Fran but lovelocum.

5. fatletiss

* I quoted the wrong person above, sorry*

Maybe a 2 year extension would be OK.

6. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Agreed.
    They are trying to act like a bigger club. Fact is now, they are a bigger club. Unfortunately they are a bigger club saddled with a very nice and pretty stadium that was too small on the day it was opened in 2001.

7. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Pelle is very much seen by the club as if he goes he goes. They would say thanx for the time here and buy a upgrade.

fatletiss and Qwerty like this.
  8. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

I'm already making the banners and t-shirts can be ordered from me at any time :D

9. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Yes, I reckon a big European night against a giant club and we could easily fill a 40,000 plus stadium. But the club are doing it the right way building Staplewood to take care of the on the pitch product and investing in the players, then when the team become successful maybe slowly expand SMS. Rome wasn't built in a day and we know the pitfalls of expanding too qucikly. Have faith in the board, they are doing things the right way for continued success.

10. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I read that in Ivan Drago's voice.

Lovelocum and Beef like this.

11. TheSecondStain

Agreed, incremental and sustainable steps. Whilst St Mary's was too small when it opened, it wasn't a total disaster, and I can understand up to a point why the then owners built it to that size, through financial constraints. The Dell was built way back at the turn of the last century with a capacity of 30K in a smaller town with a much smaller population, with much smaller disposable income and far less mobility. Back then that capacity gave Saints room to breathe. So to up it by 2.6K one hundred years later in a city twice the size that it was, with a much bigger, much better off and much more mobile population, with a much increased catchment area due to those factors, seemed a little short-sighted, in my opinion. Nevertheless, that was all they could afford and it set the limit on their ambition at the time. How times have changed.

12. TheSecondStain

I think it would sound great in Leonard Cohen's voice. ;)

13. Plastique Bertrand

Plastique Bertrand Well-Known Member

The reigning champions made exactly the same mistake.

latviandream likes this.
  14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

How was St Mary's ever too small? As I recall it was never near to being full until after our Cup run in 2003. After that, and even since our return to the PL in 2012, I don't think it's ever been hard to get tickets to home games. Better a full stadium than a half empty white elephant, surely?

15. fran-MLs little camera

Can always get a ticket. I don't think it is conclusive yet that enlarging the ground will repay the cost in any reasonable time scale. The only advantage is offering reduced tickets to kids and getting more fans in the next generation. I suspect the matter is being monitored by the board every season.

16. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Only way I can see us filling a bigger stadium in the short term is reducing tickets to about £20.

17. fran-MLs little camera

Larger stadium gives flexibility on pricing, but the cost of even an extension is massive per seat. Well, it was when first suggested....doubt it has got cheaper.

18. Libby

Libby 9-0

I think we should wait for safe standing. Could increase capacity without as much cost thay way and also provide cheaper tickets.

Qwerty likes this.
  19. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Good point.

20. fatletiss

Which is good to hear, in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.