1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic There he was gone to Sunderland

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Jun 30, 2017.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Arrived for training and by the night he was enconsed in the hot seat at the Stadium of Light. Strangely in a way not overly bothered as Grayson had taken us as far as he possiibly could, he leaves with my best wishes except when we play them next season.
    Cannot say that he failed in his four and a bit years projected us in an upwards direction, took us from the despair of Medal winner and left us in Mid table in the Championship and that in my view is success.
    Arrived when North End were in deep crap with the possibility of dropping into the bottom division thanks to Westley, imeediately steadied the ship I think we won all bar one of the remaining home games that season and in thye end comfortably survived.
    The following season we missed out on promotion and lost in the play offs to Fat Steve's Rotherham.
    The season after though was different in mid January we were struggling a bit and following an abject display at Crawley the knives were suddenly being sharpened however a tremendous cup win against the Blunts in Sheffield kicked started the season and we went on a long unbeaten run which took us to the brink of promotion, all we had to do was to win at Colchester up we would go, however in true North End tradition we ballsed up in Essex and had to go through the play offs.
    Credit to Grayson for this, after the deflating defeat he rallied the troops and I never had any doubt we would not go up, Chesterfield were despatched and then the Wembley curse was well and truly demoloished with a 4-0 win over Swindle.
    Back in the Championship took us a while to get going but slowly but surely Grayson got us into a comfortable position, ready to push on.
    We had a very slow start to the season with only a win at QPR to shown for in the first five games then came a hideous 5-0 defeat at Brentford and suddenly he was under pressure again, but again he got us playing with the win over Villa probably the best home performance in the league for years, up the table we went possibly outsiders for the play offs.
    We were unlucky against the Gunners in the cup were we more than matched them only losing to a late goal.
    Within a week thoroughly outplayed Brighton and optimism began to rise however a stuttering end to the season killed all chances and a 1-0 defeat at Wolves was his last game.
    Over the four and a bit seasons Grayson has performed miracles brought some talented players to the club although it can be said he also brought some duffers as well, Beckford, Pearson and the wonderful McGeady
    Thanks for the memories Simon.