1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

This is Great News

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Kifflom!, May 18, 2017.

1. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

2. Newportswan

Newportswan Well-Known Member

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  3. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I just wonder how much this will be policed, How will they judge a dive. I have seen so many players actually kick a defender and then go down and win a penalty, will a dive only be a dive with zero contact. How many times do you see players going down before the contact, is that a dive. Whilst I welcome anything to try and stop it, I wonder if it is possible and how closely it will be monitored. I think there will be uproar when some will be banned and others wont and there will be no consistency.

4. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

Not before time. Everybody, pundits included, hates divers.

5. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Thank god Chico is not with us...<laugh>

6. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

Fat sam and co don't like it ! Sin bin for 10 mins my arse !
    Video tech must be allowed who cares if it adds a little longer to a game when we get robbed and risk losing a fortune every year because of useless refs !!

7. Kifflom!

That's my only worry. But this review committee will look at all the evidence in slow mo. But what if a player jumps out of the way to avoid contact and a possible injury? Haven't checked the rule book on this but that's a common argument.

8. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

As long as it can be seen that they made an effort to stay on Thier feet to avoid a dangerous tackle they should be ok ! But a triple twisting tuck dive for minor or no contact should have them shamed and know they will be labeled a cheat and targeted if they carry on!

9. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

I really would love to see the video ref introduced, though this is a step in the right direction, probably more a deterrent, than anything else.............<ok>

10. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

This has been trialled in Scotland with somewhat success.

The FA says it will act "where there is clear and overwhelming evidence to suggest a match official has been deceived by an act of simulation, and as a direct result, the offending player's team has been awarded a penalty and/or an opposing player has been dismissed".

IMO, this is an excellent move and hopefully will help to reduce the amount of cheating in the game. It's not going to eradicate it but will name, shame and punish the cheats within the game.

Kifflom! and swantastic like this.

11. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

THat's the one thing that used to irritate me about Chico.

12. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Video replay is the way forward .A lot has been said in the past about video replays taking up to much time , but in reality the video replay and decision will more than likely be done by the time the diver has finished rolling around and getting his fake medical attention .

MasterOfNone and DragonPhilljack like this.
  13. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Not everyone aka Michael Owen

14. Newportswan

Newportswan Well-Known Member

And while they are at it they should stamp out "taking one for the team" how many times have we seen a player break free only to be hauled down by a player who has no chance of catching them.

15. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

I think video refereeing should be introduced in only key decisions i.e. decisions that is part of a play that leads to a goal. Not to be used for fouls during open play and offsides that doesn't result in a goal. This will actually speed up the game as it will force the attacking team to finish the play with a goal to be reviewed only when a team scores.

Or you could give each team the ability to contest a decision 3 times with the aid of video refereeing.

The Rashford dive, Manchester United Vs Swansea

Rashford; dives
    Ref; penalty
    Fabianski; protests innocence
    Swansea coaching staff; appeal decision, based on Fabianski's protest
    Video ref; confirm dive, no penalty

Decision; free Kick Swansea and yellow card to ashford for diving

This will

A) Reduce players cheating
    B) Reduce players trying to influence and bully referees
    C) Reduce big club bias from referees
    E) Reduce the injustices within the game in general

Kifflom! and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  16. MasterOfNone

MasterOfNone Active Member

Agree video evidence for key events has got to be the way. The argument that it slows the game is bollocks given the ever present rolling around on the floor and argie-bargie on the ref. Refer it upstairs, get a decision and move on. Simples.

Kifflom! and swan_and_only like this.
  17. trundles left foot

It's great but I am not convinced it will FULLY work, last night for me a clear dive by a Luton player and then there was debate as to whether he would have been banned under the new rules, Vardy last night clearly moved his leg towards a Spurs player which connects and then goes over, no pen, but has he dived. There is so much grey in this, as Kiff has said some players diving to avoid contact but not trying to win a pen. Whilst I feel something has to be done and tis is probably the best way. It is certainly not fool proof and I bet there will be some debate on here and every other clubs forum about injustices.

Last season they were going to clamp down with the rugby tackles at set pieces, that lasted about 2 weeks, I hope this lasts a bit longer.

Kifflom! likes this.
  18. Kifflom!

I agree with much of this. I think most fans agree video refs will come in and it's just a question of when. Don't overdo it and it will work. My favoured option is a limited number of challenges per team, but Mourinho would use his up in the first 15 minutes. <laugh>

swan_and_only likes this.
  19. trundles left foot

As long as that.

Kifflom! likes this.
  20. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Thing is it will make teams choose what decisions to challenge wisely as it could bite you in the arse later in the game.

The only drawback is that every goal will be contested especially corners and free kick goals. (Scuffles and pushing) which will slow the pace down and take away the excitement and joy of scoring those goals a bit.

Maybe better to limit to either one or two per game. Which is more in keeping with the amount of contentious decisions given in each game.

The easiest thing IMO would be to have referees accountable for their decisions in front of the media and clubs.