1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Thoughts on this season?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by whatsheblownthewhistleforthistime, Jul 31, 2015.

?

What will this season hold

1. Not much different

28.0%
  2. Disappointment

8.0%
  3. Some improvements

42.0%
  4. Silverware

22.0%
  1. whatsheblownthewhistleforthistime

So after watching last night's game (in a full St Mary's), and a year of trusting those in charge, I find myself extremely excited about what might be for 2015/16.

So my thought on what we'll achieve...

Epl- 7th. It'll be too much to break into the 6 this year.
    League cup.. Exit quarter finals - we'll play a mixed side.
    FA cup - semi at least. Get the feeling this year Ron wants to progress as far as possible.
    EL... Could this be a final? Vittesse are no small sprat and Ron has already made his feelings clear.

2. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

We have some real quality about us already, with a tiny bit more depth we are going to have some fun in the cups and get 9th. Can't wait to see J-rod, if he stays fit he's going to bang in loads of goals!

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Very hard to predict as there can be an element of luck in cups. I think we will finish definitely top 8...may even make 5-6th. We will have a decent run in both cups making a semifinal in one....though a team like us should win more trophies. Hope for a decent showing in the Europa. Over all, I am thinking of another good season without quite making top 4.....our top billing for a large part of last season was partly due to a poor showing by several teams....will that happen again?

4. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Clasie was bad last night, but there were a multitude of reasons for that. I think the overall quality of the 1st eleven is still the 7th best in the league. I believe once the window closes the depth of the squad will be an improvement on last season, but it's still not going to be good enough to sustain at the levels we desire.
    That's not a moan, but the reality of our situation and the fact our squad improvement has to evolve and can't be a financially backed revolution, a la the Manchester clubs.

If we get a bit of luck and our injuries and suspensions are kind then I think we can maintain our league position and potentially get or get very close to silverware, but still need a couple of quality players for that.

5. thebronze14

thebronze14 Well-Known Member

PL - 10th
    LC - 3rd round exit...take it we skip the 2nd round.
    FA Cup - 5th Round
    EL - Last 16

6. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

A cup win or maybe two

7. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

Premier league - 6th.
    League cup - winners.
    Fa cup - quarters
    Europa - group stage.

8. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Pretty fair assessment. What we cant predict is what level of performance we will achieve. 7th best squad in the league was inside the top 4 for a large chunk of last season. Its about more than the "names" on the squad list, ManU and Liverpool are proof of that so good management and good morale can elevate a squad. Too many games and fatigue can drag it down. I am completely on the fence this season, wouldnt care to predict whether we will fly or tread water. We will start strong though is my feeling.

9. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I'm a bit concerned about our strength in defence. Our best back 4 right now is essentially last season's reserve back 4. And to guard them is Victor plus anyone else good enough. We can't expect Jordy to come in and immediately be as good as Morgan, so a vulnerable back 4 is not as well protected as last season's. Happily, the midfield and attack is even better and stronger. If we can bring up the quality of the defence and defensive midfield to very near last season's quality then not only will we have an exciting season, but it will match, and possibly better, what has gone before.

With a couple of exceptions, Saints have been supremely good at getting the right people in, since 2009. And they've been getting better at it since the Black Box came into being. I'm banking that they'll solve the immediate problems and take the next step up.

10. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Where do I sign?

11. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Yeah, I'll have some of that. I predicted 6th last season. Got it one place wrong. Let me get it right this time or let me get it wrong in a positive way. :)

12. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Think about the same as last season at present. We are looking stronger up front with Mane really showing, Jay returning, Long improving and Juanmi adding more depth. At the back we lack depth and, for me, that offsets the improved front line-up. At the back we lack a starting CB (no disrespect to Maya but we need three good enough to start and Caulder is a 'maybe' for me) and a replacement for Morgan if Victor gets injured (he will get suspended for 5 bookings sometime this season). Clasie is a very good player but not a Morgan-type DM and we do need that physical presence to take some of the load off Victor for what will be a long and arduous season.

13. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I think Stoke will be better than they were last year, as will Swansea, West Brom, Newcastle and Everton. They will all be chasing our spot.

I'm not sure where we'll be this time around and my main reasoning for that is our defensive unit this year is going to be so different. We will start the season with only two of the seven that was the mainstay of the second best defensive unit in the league. That is very hard to replicate with so many changes and although I have huge belief in Ron and I'm an optimist, I keep expectations realistic and separate them from hope.

My expectations are in check (unlike a few I read on this thread) and I am looking forward to another exciting season where I will expect us to keep out of trouble and hope we will entertain as before and continue with the overall progression of our club status (not necessarily league position).

Come on you reds.

Libby likes this.
  14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I suspect we might do quite well in the Europa League. In which case it's inevitable that our PL campaign will suffer. The one is an inevitable consequence of the other imo, but that may be no bad thing. I'd settle for a good run in Europe and around 9th-11th in the league.

15. fatletiss

I think when we were asked a couple of months back to out a position, I said 12th.

Wherever we finish, if it is from 17th upwards (no, I don't think we'll struggle like that), then the long term plan is still in place.

I agree on Europa performance depending on who we get next. When's the draw?

16. saintlyhero

You look at the teams below us last season and I'm sure some have made good signings that have gone under the radar, but I'm not overly concerned

Swansea are ticking along nicely. Gomis hold up play was great against us last season. Have they found someone to replace the goals of Bony will be their biggest question mark

Stoke have lost N'Zonzi and didn't have the youngest squad in the world. I actually think they might regress

Newcastle have made some big signings for the spine of their team, but the squad has suffered lack of investment for so long and there is still question marks on McClaren's competence.

WBA have made some decent acquisitions, but can a Pulis team make that jump up playing a largely negative style

Everton have the players and Europa was the excuse for last season. I like Martinez, but as a coach is he too idealistic

West Ham made some good early signings, but this Europa league campaign of sending offs to players and Bilic is more the prequel for a car crash than a season of glory

Crystal Palace have probably been the pick of the summer business and we know how good Pardew is in the transfer market. If Bolasie has a good season then they can be a big threat.

We're not without our question marks of course, but I don't think 7th again is a unrealistic expectation/target

fatletiss likes this.
  17. fatletiss

I forgot Palace - good mention. I'm not saying we can't or won't have a high finish. I'm just pointing out that there isn't a huge gap between the middle 6/7 clubs and it won't necessarily be a failure if we don't equal or better last season. I fear a lot of people will see it as a failure.

saintlyhero likes this.
  18. saintlyhero

That's the danger, but I think there are plenty of fans who get very passionate and disappointed after any defeat.
    My mate gets in a foul mood if we lose or some cases draw. He sobers up eventually with a well balanced view, but I'm afraid all the players are **** and the board and manager are clueless for the 10 minutes after the final whistle.

19. Island Saint

Island Saint Well-Known Member

Big concern is how the fans and media will react to a season which is similar or slightly worst than lass season - an overall negative effect following several years of only positivity is a worry. I don't think it will be and am really looking forward to it. Trouble with predicting silverware is the luck of the draw and the timing of the form of opponents. No one can argue that our Wembley appearances (JPT aside) have been assisted by favourable draws. I am not too sure about Europa as I would love to reach group stage and be drawn with Borussia Dortmund (imagine that!) which would seriously impede are chances of progression.

Expectations for this season - rollercoaster as always with the Saints!

20. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

You know Tom in real life?!

saintlyhero likes this.