1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tigers' history

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Craigo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

Cheers. You can take a look if you have the time, but as yet we don't know if it will prove to be a monster or a damp squib, so it might be worth waiting a while to see.
    The other thing to think about is that this site is very accessable and well known, so moving it elsewhere might reduce the number of visitors and therefore the number of contributers.

2. smidgen

smidgen Active Member

PM on the way

3. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

The most exciting match I can remember was in the old Third Division at Boothferry Park in the 1983 – 84 season against Bristol Rovers . It was one of the last games in a season in which City and Sheffield United had been constantly leap-frogging each other to get the final promotion slot.
    It was a nail-biting game and we laid siege to their goal throughout without any luck. Then right at the end Billy Whitehurst had a gilt-edged chance. He was virtually touching the near post when the ball dropped at his feet. Everyone in the ground was waiting for him to tap it straight in, but for some reason he tried to knock it across their keeper and inside the far post. He beat the keeper but the ball trickled agonisingly wide of the post and out for a goal kick. It was as if the air had been sucked out of the ground and it finished 0-0.
    In the final game we had to win 3-0 at Burnley to go up. We won 2-0, Sheffield pipped us on goals scored and to add insult to injury their top scorer on 33 goals was none-other than Keith Edwards who had been our top scorer for three seasons from 78 to 81.
    Final top positions below:
    please log in to view this image
    [/IMG]

4. TONY_WARNERS_FACE.

TONY_WARNERS_FACE. Well-Known Member

If we all clubbed together we could start a Hull City wikia. http://www.wikia.com/Wikia

It'd basically be a wikipedia that only contains Hull City related articles, it also means you don't have to put up with the overzealous wikipedia mods.

Just an idea.

5. smidgen

smidgen Active Member

You do have some good points, Percy! It'll be up to Craig, though. He's assembling all the info/history.

6. tigercity

tigercity Well-Known Member

Ok he was being constructive here.. give you that

7. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

To be honest I would just like to see more stories appearing on here before anything else happens. There's over 1200 registered City supporters on this site so surely some of you saw at least one good match. What about the Wagstaff, Chilton, Houghton era? I keep hearing good things about that period in our history but what were the Classic games and what happened?

8. johnfirth

johnfirth Active Member

The small cafe on Calvert Lane was called Calvert Cafe, very creative I know. Anyway when I was a young lad I went to Hull Grammar and jumped on my bike every lunch time and pedaled my way down there to eat egg, beans, and chips with the city players who went there after training.
    At first I just sat at another table and looked at them but one day Chilton waved me over and asked me if I was a city fan, I must have gone red as a beetroot and mumbled but anyway he gave me his autograph.
    Next day I sat with them and asked them all kinds of questions after that it was on. Chilton came in with the youngsters from the squad Roger DeVries was always there, I asked him the correct way to pronounce his name :)
    I seem to remember Stuart Blampey erm maybe Jeff Hemmermen, long time ago now, Waggy never came in but I'll never forget my lunches with my tigers at Calvert Cafe when I was a schoolboy, Chillo was real nice and so was Roger, I wonder if they still remember the snotty nosed kid on the bike these days.

Oh yeah one game Chillo got taken off injured and me dad told me to ask him how his leg was, he told me it was still a bit sore but he's be allright for Saturday, sure enough Saturday came round and he played, you do'nt get that kind of info these days do ya :)

9. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

Cheers John. I went to Grammar too, but after the Chilton era. I remember watching Roger DeVries in 79 but by then he had become a bit of a target for the boo boys. Did you go to many matches when Waggy and Chilton were playing together. I know matches sometimes merge in the memory after a while, but was there one that stood out where the forwards demonstrated why they're still regarded as our best striker partnership?

10. atigerfan

atigerfan Active Member

Craig, I attended Hull Grammar 1976-79. Dad took me to loads of games in the 60's -70's and I have happy memories of Waggy,Chilton and John Hawley. I seem to remember Hawley was still an amateur footballer at city. There are some great videos on Youtube from that era.

11. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

You left just as I got there then. I started at Grammar in 79 when my family returned from Australia so I missed the whole Chilton / Wagstaff period. To be honest I'm hoping to hear personal stories rather than watch vids on Youtube, because the videos don't really convey the emotions and experiences of individual supporters. So with that said why don't you share some of those happy memories with as much detail as you can remember.

12. johnfirth

johnfirth Active Member

Well the obvious one that sticks out is the 6th round FA Cup tie with Stoke City, Gordon Banks was in goal for Stoke. Before you knew it Waggy had banged two past Banksie and bunkers was going nuts.
    Then Stoke got a throw in by the south west corner flag that should have been ours but the lino was'nt paying attention, they took it quick while we were still figuring out who should take it, they crossed it into the penalty area and scored.
    It ended 3-2 to the potters and I was heartbroken but it was a great game with a fantastic atmosphere and I'll never forget that big smile on Waggy's face when he scored that second goal against what was probably the best goalkeeper in the world at that time.

13. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

Thanks for that John. Here is a match report for the game I found on a Stoke site. It also mentions the controversial throw-in leading to their goal.
    http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...pot-72-years/story-12507644-detail/story.html
    FA Cup 6th Round
    6 March 1971 Hull City 2-3 Stoke City
    Goals; City - Wagstaff 2 Stoke - Conroy, Ritchie 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGCfwPelN-U&feature=related
    The game had long been sold out, but many travelled without tickets. It was cold with snow swirling around and Hull made a better start.
    They took the lead in the 15th minute when a lob from Ken Houghton on the right found Ian Butler on the left and he crossed it to Ken Wagstaff, who beat Denis Smith before unleashing an unstoppable shot past Gordon Banks.
    Stoke couldn't get to grips with the game and the Tigers made it 2-0 10 minutes before the interval.
    Frank Banks lobbed a ball to Chris Chilton and he flicked it to Wagstaff, who scored again.
    A minute before half-time, though, the Potters got back into the game. John Ritchie fed the ball to Harry Burrows and he in turn passed to Terry Conroy, who raced away before tucking the ball into the corner of the net past a helpless Ian McKechnie.
    The game changed after the break as John Mahoney replaced Sean Haslegrave and Stoke took command. Mike Pejic had a goal disallowed for a foul, but the inevitable equaliser arrived in the 72nd minute. Mike Bernard lofted a free-kick into the Hull goalmouth which was half punched by McKechnie. Burrows hit it straight back, only for his shot to be blocked. In the ensuing scramble, Big John Ritchie forced it over the line.
    In the 81st minute Stoke went in front for the first time.
    A throw-in that, according to Terry Conroy, should have been awarded to Hull, was given to Stoke. Bernard threw it to Conroy, who crossed for Ritchie to head into the corner of the net to send Stoke's 10,000 following wild with delight.
    From a Stoke fan:
    "The ground was jam-packed and I was disappointed that Jimmy Greenhoff wasn't playing, as he was a big hero of mine.
    "It was a dismal day weather wise, and after the first half hour when Ken Wagstaff was on fire we just wanted to go home!
    "It turned out to be a great game, though, when we came back to win it.
    From Stoke player John Mahoney:
    "Hull always played good football which played into our hands and they would have been harder to beat had they changed their style a bit but they didn't!

14. smidgen

smidgen Active Member

Excellent stuff!

(Incidentally, I'm an O.G. too - having been there from 1954 - 1959. Small world!)

15. Nick HCAFC

Nick HCAFC Active Member

Great thread, fantastic idea, we have a history to be proud of. My knowledge of us only goes back to the eighties but I've read a lot of books about the club, good and bad (Peter Swans book being the worst, anybody see the full page photo of him in that holding a plate of salad, talk about padding!) Hope this runs and runs.

16. Nick HCAFC

Nick HCAFC Active Member

If you made more posts like this I'd start to like you a bit more

17. Bielbs

Bielbs Active Member

1966... FA Cup replay v Chelsea. Mid week game and I was 9 and a half. What responsible parents these days would put their selves out to get their nipper a ticket? My Old man did even though I was only going with other kids of a similar age!

I remember asking the headmaster at Priory Road Juniors to let us leave early to get to the game!! North Rd car park packed at teatime so they opened the gates early. I sat on the benches with all the other kids.

City lost... I was hooked.. Especially after we won the Third Division Championship a few weeks later. Another night game when my parents let me attend on my own.. They'd probably have Social Services knocking the door down these days!

Also I'm another Old Grammarian..Is this a re-union? Same year as Mr Firth!

18. smidgen

smidgen Active Member

You know, I went back to the old school, one Saturday morning (probably '84/'85) to a book sale in the dining hall. Entered through the main doors.

I walked over the mosaic school badge on the floor (the one you always had to walk around). Just for the fact that I could. It felt so very strange, doing so. I was guilty of a major crime!

19. Bielbs

Bielbs Active Member

I know exactly what you mean... some crazy old rules we had to follow.
    All gone now, not sure what happened to the mosaic etc

20. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

I shall follow this thread with much interest, first game was in 1958 when I was finally allowed to go by myself, and I spent as much of my spare time away from school at Boothferry Park. City had a penchants for signing ageing players the two I remember were Jackie Sewell and Roy Shiner, although there were many before than, some outstanding players in their day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. DaveSpencer