1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tigers' history

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Craigo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

I'm the same Balkan, ****ty memory but reading this thread brings a lot of it back. Similar to yourself my game was around 73, can't remember who against though, it was all just a bit of a laugh and a day out with my mates. I do remember watching a 5-0 demolition of Rotherham from Kempton and thinking how **** they were, I also have vivid recollections of the Liverpool cup game when Dalgliesh stated that he was never worried after the match. Even though we'd gone in 2-1 up at HT, I was in the West Stand for that game. I remember watching Marwood (even if he appears to choose to forget us) marauding down the right wing and cutting in to slice past defenders, and thinking how we'd been robbed by Wednesday when he left.

One of my darkest memories I suppose, in the latter years at BP, was genuinely thinking that the old place was cursed as we'd never managed to scale any great heights of worthy note to the rest of the nation. I also recall thinking that the move back to The Circle, our spiritual home, would elevate us to those great heights that had evaded us during our less than majestic years at BP.

I remember shedding tears at Wembley when our eventual elevation to the PL was achieved, and thinking deeply about those that had gone before that would only be able to watch us from that great terrace in the sky.

I loved Boothferry Park, not always but I'm glad that, unlike my old house down Kimberley Street, we have photos and videos to help us relive those days.

mcr_tiger and hcafc-anon like this.
  2. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Just had google looking for our league cup games against Liverpool, lots of stat sites didn't show it but we played at home Nov 27 1973 result 0-0 this would have been the game i was thinking of, played in the afternoon because of the miners strike and resulting power cuts / shortage. Twagged school to go.

3. look_back_in_amber

THAT John Hawley goal scored from seemingly all of 40 yards from out wide on the left into the North Stand goal is as firmly etched as the Deano Wembey winner, can never remberwhomit was against but can always remember the goal, similarly the Billy Bremner strike into the same goal on his debut

4. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

Remember the game well.

I was picked up at school at lunchtime by me Dad. Sure there was a couple of other weekday afternoon games at that time.

Was one the Northern Ireland v Spain World Cup qualify played at BP during the troubles?

5. Ernie Shackleton

I remember that game been massive at the time.

And we won 2-0!

Just googled the scorers.

Waggy and Alf Wood.

Came across the programme for the game

http://thinwhitelinemagazine.com/2014/10/hull-city-vs-manchester-united-division-2-1974/

I'll have it in the attic somewhere. But I ruined them all by putting team changes in my awful handwriting on the back.

I vaguely remember the Chris Galvin / Trevor Cherry waste paper empire.

6. Ernie Shackleton

look_back_in_amber likes this.
  7. tigerincanada

tigerincanada Well-Known Member

That was probably the last home game that I attended. I got a ride down from Darlington with my Sunderland supporting friend and his girlfriend. It was a fairly strained return trip but I remember a live broadcast by Supertramp on the radio which helped pass the time.

I don't recall my first home game but it would have been around 1959 or 1960 when I was nine or ten and my cousin and I stood on Bunkers Hill. We moved to Darlo when I was thirteen and I was also at boarding school so I didn't get to see as many games as I would have liked. I was blown away by my first sight of the new south stand and the six floodlight pylons. Another vivid memory is the Chesea replay and how disappointed I was when we lost.

I emigrated to Canada in 1975 and have only seen a live City game once since then. It was the 2-0 win at Darlington in April 2001. I went with my son and we had to stand in the tin shed end and keep our mouths shut. They wouldn't let me buy tickets to be with the City supporters. The football was poor and my son couldn't believe they were professionals and expressed disbelief that both sets of players were getting paid. I still have the programme if anybody wants it. Just ask and I'll post it.

My final memory of Boothferry Park is the Hull City railway engine sign located above the tunnel on the west side. Did they move it to the KC?

8. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

No Martin Fish sold it.

9. petersaxton

petersaxton Well-Known Member

That's exactly where I was!

10. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Is it in the streetlife museum now ?

11. tigerincanada

tigerincanada Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Prior to the Internet, it was virtually impossible to get any information about lower league teams in this part of the world so I had never heard of Martin Fish until today. I just read an extensive article on Amber Nectar and my understanding of the dark days is much improved.

It's too bad about the name plate but did he at least get a decent price for it?

12. look_back_in_amber

Thinking back to that regime hurts, it's unlikely that they got anything like a good price, and as for the God awful piece of plastic that they replaced it with...

13. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

Didn't the Duffman buy it back?

It's on the kc west stand.

14. look_back_in_amber

Yeah I think so, someone did anyway, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was Duffman, nobody is all bad.

By the way how's it hanging triple H? Only a few days left to survive now, and, if they're the same as me, they'll be as keen to get back to BC as you are for them to leave :D

15. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

They've actually moved on to stay in some chalet near Alton Towers. Our lass has gone with them.

This was all pre planned like. I didn't just sling them out.

I'm off to join them tomorrow for a few days...

16. look_back_in_amber

Nice one, good result for all

17. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

I intend to slink off with the missus to take in a bit of scenery and sample the local pubs.

Meant to say that your dog was recognised.

look_back_in_amber likes this.
  18. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

Too many to chronicle but here are a few arising from the 20 years I went between 1946 and 1966.

Was taken to the first post war league match aged 8 by my dad and grandad. So excited I didn't sleep the night before. Had a brand new rattle but was jammed on the fence behind the net at Bunkers so never got one rattle in! No goals scored.

More excitement for the day Carter played his first game and instantly became my hero. Joy the day we finished first in Division 3N. Was with my dad and grandad again who said although great, the team was not as good as the 1932/33 team as they went through that season undefeated at home and scored a 100 goals.

Tears when I queued for hours for tickets for the Man U. FA 6th round cup-tie but only got 1 which my dad used. More tears when Carter was sacked.

Joy again in 1966 when I went with my dad to the last match of the season and a win saw us again Champions of Div3 giving him his hat trick of title wins. I left the country soon after and he died suddenly less than couple of years later.

My biggest disappointment was not making the last match at BP. All booked and planned before illness intervened.

My final memory of BP is from 2010 when I visited what was left of the old ground. Standing alone outside the memories flooded back. 'Tiger Rag', singing 'The Boothferry Roar,' hanging on to my perch at the very back of the N Stand to watch the match, the magnificent green turf, my first floodlight match, my first match, my last match etc etc. More tears then a silent thank-you and walk away.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  19. Yardley Tiger

Yardley Tiger Active Member

Many memories but details haven't stuck unlike the photographic memory of Blue Mountains Bear. I first went to BP in the late 1940s, and the players, Tiger Rag, the Boothferry Roar, etc., have been well documented by those above. I left for Chicago, USA in 1977. In those days, no satellites, computers, texting, etc., so no information regarding the Tigers or anything football related for several years after. One incident does stick in my mind though and is the reason I am a dyed in the wool Tigers supporter and season ticket holder. In 1993 my wife, young son and I were visiting my parents in Hessle. I went down to BP to see if I could get tickets for the first home game of the season versus Plymouth Argyle. In the ticket office I explained I was an old supporter and now living in the USA. The lady said just a minute and disappeared into the back. She came back with three complimentary tickets for the Director's Box. I am sure that Hull city could little afford to pass up the cost of three tickets in those days. We were very grateful. Also we were only a few feet from Terry Dolan and the Argyle manager Peter Shilton. The game? It was a draw 1 - 1. Our goal was scored by a young player called Dean Windass.

20. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

I loved BP - but for so long playing at that ground we were **** or lurching from one disaster to another.

It was time to move on. Right now, we're creating new memories - probably some of the best memories in our history.