1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tigers' history

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Craigo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Wonderful cutting to see, thanks for posting them. I see in the Portsmouth game Ray Hiron was mentioned, wasn't he 6'.8" Crouch look a like centre forward?

2. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

I think he finished up being an Estate agent in Grimsby after his playing days.

3. Malcolm McKechnie

Thanks, I'm glad you've enjoyed reading them. I've a few more, I'll stick them up as I scan them <cool>.
    Aye, he looked like Crouch alright but I'm not sure of his height.

4. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Malcolm - some great clippings about your dad - bringing back great memories.
    Can I ask a small favour ? I assume many of the press action photos are from the Hull Daily Mail (or the HDM Saturday Green Sports Mail). Do they anywhere mention the photographer's name ? Specifically Jack Davis (Davies) ?
    The reason I ask is that one of our neighbours (Jack) when I lived in Hessle in the 50's & early 60's was the official HDM City match photographer. His daughter was a close friend of my sister in those days, and I often chatted to him about the City home games. I'd like to think Jack somehow got some credit/recognition for some of the great action shots he took over his long career with the HDM.
    When I first emigrated to Canada in '72, very little news came over here about English football - no TV or radio coverage, no articles in the Canadian press, and bloody week's old British newspapers (cost a fortune) that had all the results & League tables, but rarely a mention of any team playing in other than the old First Division. My dad used to save up a month's worth ( sometimes 2 months worth ) of HDM Sports Mails & post them to me...so I was always months behind getting a real sense of how they were playing etc etc. It was always good to catch up on the local football scene too - there must have been a couple of hundred or so amateur teams in Hull & District, maybe more. Hessle Old Boys & Kingburn Athletic used to play in the "recca" opposite our house in Hessle. Great crowds even at that time.
    At least I used to get to see a couple of City home games when I took a trip back, usually around Easter time. Spent a fair bit of time in Darley's too I must say.

Malcolm McKechnie and Kempton like this.
  5. Malcolm McKechnie

Do you know, I've never really looked. I will though and I'll get back to you on that..
    I lived on Westfield Rd, sandwiched between Boothferry Rd and Anlaby Rd. In fact I was born in the living room of number 64 on the early hours of the 2nd of November 1969. I believe Hull where away to Cardiff the night before and were well beaten 6-0. Maybe my Dads mind was on other things.
    Costello Park was where we used to play as kids, broadsiding our bike on the gravel like Bobby Beaten and trying not to drown in the pond on those wobbly canoes.
    I remember taking a shot from my Dad full in the face, it nearly broke my nose. He ran up to me and said, "I thought you'd jump out of the way!"
    "You told me to save it", was my reply.
    Sadly my parents separated in 1979 and I was taken to live in Lisburn, Northern Ireland and that put an end to all that. I still don't know what she was thinking :emoticon-0121-angry....
    Without going on about it to much, things pretty much sucked for quite a while after that <wah>, but hay-ho, on we go.
    These clippings are what my Dad gave me when they separated and it's honestly my pleasure to share them with people who appreciate the memories they provoke.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  6. Malcolm McKechnie

Letter to the Editor...
    IMG_20150810_0015.jpg

7. Malcolm McKechnie

Will they, wont they.
    IMG_20150810_0014.jpg

8. Malcolm McKechnie

Coventry City Saturday 20th August 1966
    IMG_20150810_0012.jpg

9. Malcolm McKechnie

10. Malcolm McKechnie

Coventry City Saturday 20th August 1966
    IMG_20150810_0010_.jpg

11. Malcolm McKechnie

12. tigerscanada

Thanks Malcolm.
    Your dad could probably kick the ball from Westfield Rd to Boothferry Park !! Also to the Fiveways pub I used to drink in (underage naturally), to where I went to school on Pickering Rd and to my grans house on Spring Gardens in Anlaby Common.
    Thanks for the memories.

Malcolm McKechnie likes this.
  13. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Westfield Rd was home to a few City players at one time if I remember correctly, Paul Feasey, Brian Bulless were residents, not sure if City owned those houses then as rented houses were more the norm in those days.

Malcolm McKechnie likes this.
  14. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

I lived down Spring Gardens during my childhood, and used to take the bus to city's games on the same bus as Johnny Stevens who player right wing in the late fifties.

15. Malcolm McKechnie

We lived opposite the Bulless's, Uncle Brian and Auntie Jean :emoticon-0102-bigsm.. I was never out of their house, I'm sure they were sick of the sight of me :emoticon-0102-bigsm.
    I think it must have just been it's proximity to club that drew them there, as the players owned the houses, not City.

C'mon ref likes this.
  16. Malcolm McKechnie

I've trawled through my photos but any HDM ones are copyrighted by them and don't refer to the photographer by name.
    I do have one taken by Donald Innes, Press & Commercial Photographer. 13 The Square, Hessle.
    It's of my Mum and Dad at home, they're sitting on the sofa reading the sports section of the paper (as you do).
    You can just make out the story header, "Henderson May Miss Plymouth Match".

tigerscanada likes this.
  17. Tigger

Tigger Well-Known Member

It's definitely Don Beardsley. I saw him play lots of times.

18. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

Good to know for sure it was him, I thought it was, but wasn't 100% sure.

19. tigerscanada

Cheers for trying Malcolm anyway.:emoticon-0150-hands Innes's is still operating in Hessle Square, run by Donald's son I'm told.

20. Malcolm McKechnie

Saturday 3rd September 1966
    IMG_20150811_0001a.jpg