1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tigers' history

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Craigo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. CANADATIGER

CANADATIGER Well-Known Member

I checked my book "Newspaper Headlines - Hull City, A History from 1907", which has reprints of national newspaper reports of our key games beginning with the draw against Tottenham on January 18th 1907. Unfortunately there's no report of our 2-0 win over Man U. in January 1952. Surely the Hull Mail will have a report in its archives though.

2. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

My reason for being at the game was due to my dad promising to take me to the next City v Man U match after I queued for over 5 hours to get tickets for the City v Man U 6th round FA Cup match in 1949. I wanted 2 tickets but at the turnstile was rationed to one adult which my dad used. If we had beaten Man U that day it would certainly have reached your top 100 giant-killers list!

I was behind the goal, jammed on the picket fence just beyond where your photo finishes, so had a great view of both the City goals and Man U trying in vain to score in the second half. Was not impressed with the
    stadium nor pitch ( not a patch on Boothferry Park) and before the match quite disappointed that 2 of my favourites Billy Bly and Neil Franklin were not fit enough to play.

It would be almost 64 years before I next attended a City v Man U game.

The journey by car to Manchester was interesting as my parents had arranged to stay overnight Saturday in Colne ( near Burnley) at the home of my mum's sister. Mum came along with my sister and we went to Colne via Morley(near Leeds) where we called in on the couple who housed me for a few months when I was evacuated from Hull as a 4 year old in 1942. Then to Colne,dropping off my mum and sister, and on to Old Trafford.

I have visited your site and am most impressed with it. Keep up the excellent work!

Steve Porter and tigerscanada like this.
  3. Steve Porter

Steve Porter New Member

I'd really like to use this when I do the write up on the game as it is FA cup nostalgic gold dust. It's always a joy to read when someone is able to paint an individual and unique picture of their memories of a game. many thanks. And thanks for your comments on the site too.

4. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Thanks for checking CT. This Wednesday I have a Hull relative prepared do an archive search of the Hull Daily Mail/Sports Mail to see if anything can be found about the match.

5. Bengals Tiger

Bengals Tiger Well-Known Member

Some of the elder brethren on here may remember that when Chris Simpkin first appeared as a full Tiger, he played as an inside-left (kids can Google the term) alongside Chillo. He looked a proper nancy-boy, running along with his hands flapping around in front of his face, much like Raheem Sterling. We lads in the railway stand quickly started to call him "Sugar Plum" or "Simper", but I do recall he would sometimes surprise us with a Peter Lorimer-like pile driver -- mostly well off-target.
    When Cliff Britton suddenly switched him to left-half, we were pretty stunned; how could a nancy-boy ever play the role usually filled by an iron-man? The answer came almost immediately: he was an iron-man, just as hard as Jock, and then some.
    I got to know him quite well when he moved to Blackpool; he certainly liked his Boddington's!
    As I mentioned on another thread, Simmo was always very insistent on claiming that Pool's Alan Suddick was more skillful than Waggy. I was equally persistent in telling him he was wrong.

6. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

You are right, we used to call Simpkin the sugar plum fairy, but when Britton changed him to left half he was a different player.

7. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

The ones he did score (1 in 15 games maybe) were mostly stunners however. He was definitely our enforcer for a few years after Jock retired - reminded me of Norman "I'll bite yer legs off" Hunter.
    Quite right of you to correct his opinion about Waggy vs Suddick too. Although Suddick was primarily a mid-field general/playmaker, having a decent goals scored record, but I doubt he had anywhere near the assist rate of Waggy, or Ken Houghton for that matter. Of course, I didn't get to see him (Suddick) play very often, but he was a big hero @ Blackpool no doubt.

8. Bengals Tiger

Yes, Simmo also reminded me of (a cleaner version of) Chopper Harris.
    I saw "Suds" play about a dozen times. He was good -- very good -- but nowhere near as classy as Waggy. I've seen most of the oldie "greats" live -- Best, Law, Charlton, Greaves, Finney, Matthews, Osgood, Charlie Cooke, Heighway, even Cruyff, Muller and Fat Ronaldo (I've been around a bit!), but Waggy's unique (and relatively low-speed) hip shimmy that took him past multiple "markers", often leaving them on their backside, was the best (consistent) skill I've seen in any player.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    tigerscanada likes this.
  9. tigerscanada

Who can forget these two goals by Waggy ? ( @ 0.14 and 0.59 min)

Or this Simpkin goal (@ 1.06 min) ?

Can't find a clip of Waggy's goals @ Stamford Bridge that led to the replay above, although I have 'em somewhere in my collection, or maybe just in my memories of being at the game.

10. tigerscanada

While we're at it..I'm sure these have been posted on this thread before, but what the heck !

and a rare Waggy header at approx 3:00 in...

11. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Although it is my favourite City away game, I have never seen any footage from the match so please post it if you find it. My enduring memory of the match is Waggy swinging on the post after scoring the equaliser.

Also didn't get a good view of the later Harris handball incident to stop Ken Houghton's header finding the net, as I was behind the goal at the other end among Chelsea fans.

12. tigerscanada

As I mentioned, Mr B_M_B, I may have never seen clips/highlights of that game myself, only recalling memories from being at the match, so I've just posted a request on the Chelsea not606 board to see if anyone can supply info. Their thread doesn't have an obvious "Chelsea History" thread, but someone may respond with where I may find tv/film footage, I'll keep you posted if I have any luck.
    You must have been in "The Shed" end at Stamford Bridge that night - brave lad. Brilliant match.

13. tigerscanada

Mr B_M_B

Looks like the game (26th March 1966) between Chelsea & City at Stamford Bridge was televised on Anglia TV....see attached. Just a matter of finding it now !!
    A bunch of other City games were also covered by Anglia according to the list below.
    I've highlighted the relevant references below...from 65-66 season on.

A few more City games on Anglia between 68-83 as seen on the following link: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ITV/Anglia.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The following is an extract from the following link of ITV pre-1968 televised matches:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ITV/ITVfootball55-68.html#Anglia

please log in to view this image

Match of the Week
    1962-1968

Season 1965/66
    "Match of the Week" returned on Sunday afternoon 5:00-5:30pm.
    02/Oct
    09/Oct Ipswich Town 3 (McNeil, Brogan, Baker) Bury 4 (Parry, Maltby, Griffin, Pointer(pen)) *Not 100% but Anglia goal tape logs "Ipswich v Leeds" for 24/10/64 with the same Town scorers plus Parry
    16/Oct Peterborough United 4 (Barnes, Byrne, Deakin, Gould) Southend United 0
    23/Oct Northampton Town 2 (Foley(pen), Leek) West Ham United 1 (Brown)
    30/Oct
    06/Nov
    13/Nov Peterborough United 2 (Deakin 2) Kidderminster Harriers 1 (Gilbert) [FA Cup 1st Round]
    20/Nov Northampton Town 0 Tottenham Hotpsur 2 (Mackay, Saul)
    27/Nov Colchester United 3 (Hall 3) Newport County 2 (Smith, Hale)
    04/Dec Ipswich Town 0 Rotherham United 0 *Listed in TVTimes with John Camkin as commentator
    11/Dec Norwich City 3 (Davies, Heath, Bryceland) Bolton Wanderers 0
    18/Dec
    01/Jan Possibly Norwich City 2 Birmingham City 2 *Tape log says Norwich v Forest (but no such fixture was played in 65/66)
    08/Jan Ipswich Town 1 (Hegan) Coventry City 0 *listed in the Times, no surviving footage,TVTimes has Maurice Edelston as commentator
    15/Jan Peterborough United 2 (Deakin, Byrne) Swindon Town 3 (East 2, Brown) *Sunday Times, Coventry boss Jimmy Hill also reported to have took players to Norwich to view their cup opponents on TV
    22/Jan Northampton Town 1 (Brown) Nottingham Forest 2 (Crowe, Wignall) [FA Cup 3rd Round]
    29/Jan Colchester United 3 (Alcock(og), Phillips, Hornsby) Port Vale 0
    05/Feb Ipswich Town 1 (Hegan) Charlton Athletic 4 (Peacock 2, Saunders, Holton) *listed in Sunday Times
    12/Feb Norwich City 3 (Heath, Mullett, Allcock) Walsall 2 (Kirby, Taylor) [FA Cup 4th Round]
    19/Feb Northampton Town 3 (Martin 2, Moore) Newcastle United 1 (Iley)
    26/Feb Peterborough United 3 (Fairbrother, Watson, Conmy) Scunthorpe United 1 (Sloan)
    05/Mar
    12/Mar
    19/Mar Ipswich Town 2 (Crawford, Baxter(pen)) Norwich City 0
    26/Mar Chelsea 2 (Tambling, Graham) Hull City 2 (Wagstaff 2) [FA Cup QF] *Sounds like Camkin commentating ************
    02/Apr Home International *Networked Sunday highlights. Ref to Peterborough 1 Grimsby 1 probably newsreel
    09/Apr
    16/Apr
    23/Apr Grimsby Town 1 (Fielding) Hull City 0
    30/Apr Norwich City 1 (Curran) Portsmouth 3 (McCann, Edwards, Gordon)
    07/May Ipswich Town 5 (Hegan, Baker, Crawford 2, Hawkins(og)) Wolverhampton W. 2 (Buckley, Knowles)

The addition of two new transmitters at Sandy Heath (covering Bedfordshire) and Belmont (Lincolnshire) saw Anglia cover several new clubs. One of these was Northampton Town who enjoyed this one season in the top flight before being relegated. Ipswich and Norwich both finished mid-table in the 2nd tier, the Canaries reached the 5th round of the FA Cup but this was not enough to save manager Ron Ashman who was sacked at the end of the season. Another new Anglia team Hull City had a very successful season - they were champions of the 3rd tier as well as reaching the quarter-finals of the FA Cup before going out 3-1 to Chelsea in a home replay. Scunthorpe United finished 4th but were twelve points adrift of promotion, another new Anglia club Grimsby Town finished in mid-table but their first TV action saw them beat Hull 1-0 in April. Peterborough United finished just a point below Grimsby but reached the semi-final of the League cup losing out 6-3 to West Bromwich Albion on aggregate. Colchester regained their 3rd tier status at the first attempt but only thanks to a better goal average than Tranmere Rovers and (another new Anglia club) Luton Town. The final new club Lincoln City finished third from bottom and had to go through re-election.

Anglia TV Times entry for 5th December 1965

Season 1966/67
    There were no football highlights scheduled for the Anglia region in the Times until the weekend of 24th September, therefore archive references to 20/Aug Colchester United 2 Middlesbrough 3, 27/Aug Ipswich Town 3 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1, 03/Sep Norwich City 1 Ipswich Town 2 and 17/Sep Scunthorpe United 3 Middlesbrough 2 are all probably newsreels.
    24/Sep
    01/Oct Ipswich Town 2 (Crawford, Brogan) Bolton Wanderers 2 (Davies, Lee)
    08/Oct Grimsby Town 1 (Green) Oldham Athletic 0
    15/Oct Hull City 3 (Butler, Chilton, Henderson) Wolverhampton W. 1 (Bailey) *Listed in The News of the World
    22/Oct Ipswich Town 5 (Crawford 3, Brogan 2(1pen)) Hull City 4 (Henderson, Houghton, Wagstaff 2) *Anglia opting out of N.I v Eng highlights

29/Oct Evening Star lists Colchester 4 Grimsby 0 but NOTW lists Norwich 1 (Bryceland) Bolton 0
    05/Nov Ipswich Town 6 (Crawford, Baker, Brogan 3(2pens), Woods) Northampton Town 1 (Best)
    12/Nov Colchester United 1 (Hodgson) Peterborough United 4 (Mason 2, Fairbrother 2) *TVTimes has Maurice Edelston as commentator
    19/Nov Peterborough United 0 Shrewsbury Town 2 (Clarke, Manning) *NOTW
    26/Nov Grimsby Telegraph lists Lincoln 3 Scunthorpe 4 [FA Cup R1] but NOTW lists Northampton 2 (Moore, Martin) Blackburn 1 (Ferguson)
    03/Dec Grimsby Town 1 (Rudd) Orient 2 (Holton, Werge) *Gerald Sinstadt commentating for the first time on TV
    10/Dec Norwich City 1 (Boland) Wolverhampton Wanderers 2 (Knowles, Wagstaffe) *TV Times continues to list John Camkin as commentator
    17/Dec Hull City 2 (Butler 2) Coventry City 2 (Key, Tudor) *NOTW, also on ABC (may have been their coverage)
    24/Dec No programme this weekend
    31/Dec Norwich City 3 (Curran 2, Sheffield) Birmingham City 3 (Brisges, Vowden, Bullock)
    07/Jan Colchester United 0 Peterborough United 3 (Loughton(og), Watson, Fairbrother) [FA Cup R2] *Intended match Ipswich v Norwich pp'd
    14/Jan Peterborough United 2 (Fairbrother, Ross) Walsall 1 (Kirby)
    21/Jan Hull City 2 (Jarvis, Simpkin) Millwall 0 *Tape log dates this as 22/Jan/1966, cameras in SW corner of ground
    28/Jan Hull City 1 (Houghton) Portsmouth 1 (McCann) [FA Cup 3rd Round] *One source says Norwich 3 Derby 0 but note Southern also took "MOTW"
    04/Feb Northampton Town 2 (Moore, Best) Hull City 2 (Houghton, Young)

11/Feb Colchester United 0 Scunthorpe United 1 (Sloan)
    18/Feb Manchester United 1 (Law) Norwich City 2 (Heath, Bolland) [FA Cup 4th Round] *Anglia cameras outside the region, Camkin commentating
    25/Feb Northampton Town 1 (Brown) Crystal Palace 0
    04/Mar Peterborough United 1 (Beesley) Scunthorpe United 0 *Sunday Times
    11/Mar Manchester City 1 (Young) Ipswich Town 1 (Crawford) [FA Cup 5th Round] *Anglia cameras outside the region
    18/Mar Hull City 1 (Jarvis) Ipswich Town 1 (Brogan) *TV Times now listing Gerald Sinstadt as commentator
    25/Mar Ipswich Town 4 (Crawford, Viljoen 3) Portsmouth 2 (Harris, Pointer)
    01/Apr Northampton Town 1 (Hall) Ipswich Town 1 (McNeil)
    08/Apr Showed ABC's "World of Soccer" - [FA Cup QF]
    15/Apr Norwich City 4 (Bryceland 2, Brown, Kenning) Crystal Palace 3 (Bannister, Payne, Woodruff) *Gerald Sinstadt commentated, Anglia opting out of networked England v Scotland coverage
    22/Apr Ipswich Town 0 Preston North End 0
    29/Apr Showed ABC's "World of Soccer" - [FA Cup SF]
    06/May Ipswich Town 1 (Viljoen) Coventry City 1 (Tudor)
    13/May Norwich City 1 (Heath) Northampton Town 0 *Tape log appears to confuse the details with an earlier Norwich/Northampton match

Ipswich were this season's highest placed Anglia team reaching 5th place in the 2nd tier, but it was Norwich (now under the management of Lol Morgan) who took most of the headlines - An improving 11th placed finish in the league was eclipsed by a 2-1 win in the FA Cup 4th round at Manchester United (who would go and win the league title), this game was covered by Anglia with cameras outside of the region of the first time. Hull City, following promotion, finished one place below Norwich whilst Northampton, who reached the quarter-finals of the League Cup, suffered a second successive relegation. All four 3rd tier Anglia clubs finished within four points of each other in the bottom half of the table - Colchester United, Peterborough united, Grimsby Town and Scunthorpe United. In Division Four, Luton Town finished just four points clear of re-election whilst Lincoln City were rock bottom.

Season 1967/68
    "Match of the Week" returned on 23rd September, no Anglia footage whatsoever from this season appears to have survived. From 20/Aug - 10/Sep Anglia showed ABC's "World of Soccer", no football was scheduled for 17/Sep (Anglia showed Cricket that Sunday).
    23/Sep Ipswich Town 0 Norwich City 0
    30/Sep Peterborough United 2 (Metchick, Mason) Bournemouth & BA. 0 *Listed in The News of the World
    07/Oct Norwich City 1 (Bryceland) Blackburn Rovers 0
    14/Oct Hull City 2 (Houghton, Wagstaff) Queens Park Rangers 0
    21/Oct Home International
    28/Oct Northampton Town 4 (Large 3, Mackin(pen)) Bristol Rovers 5 (Mabbutt 3, R.Jones, J.Williams) *TVTimes lists John Camkin for this edition
    04/Nov Colchester United 3 (Hodgson, Shires, Stratton) Torquay United 5 (Barnes, Clark 2, Stubbs 2)
    11/Nov Hull City 0 Norwich City 2 (Manning, Foggo)
    18/Nov Peterborough United 3 (Fairbrother 3) Grimsby Town 2 (Linnell(og), Moore)
    25/Nov` Ipswich Town 1 (Spearritt) Plymouth Argyle 1 (Mitten)
    02/Dec Colchester United 2 (Price, Trevis) Northampton Town 1 (Martin)
    09/Dec NOTW lists Hull 1 (Wagstaff) Charlton 1 (Tees) but Norwich pink lists Ipswich 1 (Hegan) Portsmouth 2 (Pointer, McCann)
    16/Dec Ipswich Town 1 (Crawford) Middlesbrough 2 (Hickton 2) *NOTW
    23/Dec Norwich City 0 Queens Park Rangers 0 *NOTW
    30/Dec Hull City 1 (I.Butler) Huddersfield Town 1 (Nicholson) *NOTW
    06/Jan Chelmsford City 0 Colchester United 2 (McKechnie, Stratton) [FA Cup 2nd Round]
    13/Jan Hull City 1 (Wagstaff) Millwall 1 (Possey)
    20/Jan Northampton Town 2 (Martin, Kiernan) Swindon Town 0 *NOTW
    27/Jan Norwich City 1 (Curran) Sunderland 1 (Suggett) [FA Cup R3] *TVTimes lists John Camkin for this edition
    03/Feb Norwich City 3 (Crickmore, Curran 2) Ipswich Town 4 (Houghton, Viljoen 3)
    10/Feb Hull City 4 (Wagstaff 3, I.Butler) Bristol City 2 (Galley 2)
    17/Feb Showed ATV London's "Star Soccer" [FA Cup R4]
    24/Feb Ipswich Town 4 (Brogan, Crawford, O'Rourke 2) Cardiff City 2 (Clark, Lea) *NOTW, Anglia opting out of Home International highlights
    02/Mar Networked coverage of the League Cup Final
    09/Mar Showed ATV London's "Star Soccer" [FA Cup R5] *TVTimes lists MOTW with John Camkin commentating
    16/Mar Ipswich Town 4 (Hegan, Brogan, O'Rourke, Crawford) Preston North End 0
    23/Mar Colchester United 2 (Bullock 2) Reading 5 (Harris 2(1pen), Smee 2, Collins)
    30/Mar Ipswich Town 2 (Baxter, Crawford) Crystal Palace 2 (Kember, C.Jackson)
    06/Apr Norwich City 2 (Bryceland, Curran) Hull City 2 (Wagstaff, Chilton)
    13/Apr Ipswich Town 2 (Crawford 2) Rotherham United 0
    20/Apr Norwich City 1 (Curran) Blackpool 2 (Rowe, Suddick)
    27/Apr Ipswich Town 2 (O'Rourke, Crawford) Queens Park Rangers 2 (Marsh, Leach)
    04/May Peterborough United 4 (Garwood 3, Hall) Northampton Town 0
    11/May Ipswich Town 1 (Crawford) Blackburn Rovers 1 (Martin)

It was a great season for Ipswich Town as they were finally promoted back into the top tier of English football after a five year gap as champions. Norwich City improved again with a 9th placed finish, whilst Hull City struggled all season but managed to stay up in 17th (six points clear of the drop). In the Third tier, it was Peterborough United who made the headlines for the wrong reasons, they finished 9th but where deducted 19 points and relegated after being found guilty of paying players illegal bonus fees. Northampton Town put the breaks on their decline with a 18th place finish, but it was three other local sides that joined Peterborough in the bottom tier, Grimsby Town, Colchester United and Scunthorpe United (the Irons having appointed former Norwich Boss Ron Ashman). Luton Town, under Allan Brown, finished as runaway Champions of the Fourth division whilst Lincoln City had an improved to mid-table.

Gerald Sinstadt, Anglia commentator 1966-1968

Match of the Week articles
    TV Times feature on John Camkin from 13th December 1963
    TV Times article by MOTW director Bob Gardam from 30th January 1965

Match of the Week
    1968/69 - 1982/83

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  14. Bengals Tiger

Brilliant! Thanks!

tigerscanada likes this.
  15. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

A collection of previously unpublished photo's of Jackie Smith (and the full Hull City team) from 1906 to 1909 have surfaced courtesy of the Smith family. These must be some of the earliest ever Hull City photos...

All the images can be found here - http://ahalftimereport.com/2015/12/02/hull-city-jackie-smith-gallery/

I'll merge this with the history thread later.

16. robingram02

robingram02 Well-Known Member

Really interesting. I'd have been a liability back then, I don't have a head for hats.

17. Qatartiger Cambridgetiger

Qatartiger Cambridgetiger Well-Known Member

Great stuff that thanks.

18. Dills double deckers

Dills double deckers Well-Known Member

Great historical photos.

19. londontiger

londontiger Well-Known Member

There's 12 of them, I'm sure even back then it'd be cheating.

Good pic OLM

20. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

It's just one of the images, there's another six if you follow the link, the cartoon from the HDM is very much of its time.