1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tigers' history

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Craigo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

BlackAndAmberGambler I don't know if you would mind either copying some of the shorter stories on here or maybe scan some of the pics etc, because there isn't that much on the internet and the more I read about the bloke the more I want to.
    He was a real hero in the days when Hull really needed one and he didn't get the recognition he deserved.

2. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Craig are you at the KC on Saturday? If so we'll meet and I'll lend you the book. If not we'll sort something out.

3. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

Cheers mate, but unfortunately I'm stuck in the East Midlands (or Middle East if you prefer). I'll send you a PM before I come back next time and we can meet up if that's ok.

4. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

Even more weird is my husband meeting up with yardley tiger on here after losing contact with him over 55 yrs ago when they left Riley High after being in the same class for 6 years.Were in the same House, played football together and both worked in the same restaurant in Bridlington when in the 6th form. Chance remark on a thread saying that he had been at Riley from '49 to 56 resulted in them being reunited a few weeks ago.They have been exchanging memories and photos of those years ever since.

5. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

Small world isn't it Mrs BMB. I could have been a neighbour of yours around 1975. Our family had the option to live in The Blue Mountains but we opted for Umina on the Central Coast instead.

6. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

We lived in Sydney for over 30 yrs before coming here in 2000 when I retired.(he retired in 1986!).We first bought land here in 1974 and then a house in 1988 and loved the area. The Central Coast is a popular retirement spot for long term Blue Mountain residents who seek a warmer climate.He has relations at Forster.

7. dem_on

dem_on Member

Quote Originally Posted by Craig in Nottingham View Post
    Small world isn't it Mrs BMB. I could have been a neighbour of yours around 1975. Our family had the option to live in The Blue Mountains but we opted for Umina on the Central Coast instead.

My oh my the Blue Mountains must have been like Ferensway..................I was regularly playing golf in the Leura area around that time. They did a blinding hot chocolate in the cafe down the main street after a cold game..

8. dem_on

dem_on Member

Raich was certainly a hero to the Hull footballing public at that time ,unfortunately he was also a bit in the mould of Sven Goran Ericksen Silver Haired and silver tongued with the ladies which ended in the parting of the ways with the Tigers.

9. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

You may say that dem_ on but I (nor my husband) cannot possibly comment (particularly on the identity of the ladies).

We live in the next village to Leura where Charles Darwin and Prince Albert visited to view a Waterfall and a huge Valley.

10. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

“Carter handed in his resignation on September 5th, and it was unanimously accepted by the board on September 12th. Mystery shrouded Raich’s resignation. The board said nothing, and Raich’s vague explanation was that he’d quit because of “a disagreement on matters of a general nature in the conduct of the club’s affairs”.
    The rumours that surrounded (and still surround) Raich’s exit just added to the highly unsatisfactory way in which such a great servant to the game and Hull City had left the club.” http://www.ambernectar.org/blog/2011...city-part-six/

Raich was certainly a hero to the Hull footballing public at that time ,unfortunately he was also a bit in the mould of Sven Goran Ericksen Silver Haired and silver tongued with the ladies which ended in the parting of the ways with the Tigers. By dem_on Today 04:32 AM Tigers History Thread <whistle><whistle>

11. charles stokell

charles stokell Active Member

Raich Carter wasn't a bit like Sven, Raich knew how football should be played, and I never heard him speak more than a very few words, He was certainly silver haired, Is Sven? Can't comment on his lady issues. But He was loved by around 55000 football fans, some of them ladies.

12. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Raich's in-laws had a beer off licence down Hawthorn Avenue, corner of White Street and use to help out. I often use to go in and have a few words, I was only a child then so was restricted when I could enter the shop. But in the time I saw him there it never occurred to me to ask him for his autograph, a big hobby of mine then, to my everlasting disgust.

Someone mention Mick Milner the big centre half, well he was, but so was Paul Feasey who in later years after finishing football, reverted to his former trade of a bricklayer. But another couple of players I use to know at the time were Charlie Crickmore, transferred to Norwich, and Les Collinson, whose mother lived down the same street as me, Clyde St, Hawthorn Ave.

Charlie was a tricky winger in the Ian Butler mould and as luck would have it we were on holiday at Yarmouth when City played Norwich at Carrow Road. Charlie played a blinder and scored I think, one of the few times I actually sat in seats in those days. Had my wife to be and her parents with me, we had spent a day in Norwich, this would be late 60's.

13. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

No problem mate.

14. Yardley Tiger

Yardley Tiger Active Member

Thanks CiN for guidance. Regarding post 99 Here is the photo (Well that didn't work!)

Also just remembered that in the pre-game show on Setanta, Deano was interviewed a day or two earlier at the training ground by an ex-footballer (can't remember his name). The interviewer was sending over centers and Deano was volleying them acurately through a couple of cones about three feet apart. I also think they mentioned this in the live comentary after he scored.

15. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

Yardley if you have the tinypic URL code for messageboards click the 'insert image' box above the text window (where you write your post), it will already say 'http://' which you should erase before pasting your tinypic URL then press ok and your image will be inserted.

16. Yardley Tiger

Yardley Tiger Active Member

Cin Here we go again
    please log in to view this image

17. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

No. Are you sure you have the tinypic URL for messageboards and not one of the other ones it generates?

18. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

We will email you with an illustrated example of how to do this yardley tiger.

19. TONY_WARNERS_FACE.

TONY_WARNERS_FACE. Well-Known Member

Not a lot to this, because I was only 12 at the time, but my greatest memory of City (other than Wembley) is beating Swansea 1-0 at the KC back in 2003. We'd just beaten Kidderminster 6-1 the Saturday before, and I believe if we won this game we'd go top of Div. 3... I'll never forget how packed the stadium was and just how many fans were queuing outside, luckily I had a season ticket, but my cousin and uncle queued for hours to no avail. Inside, the crowd was absolutely electric, and when Stu Elliott got the winner it was amazing. I think that was the night I fell in love with City, and I haven't been able to quite let go since!

As I said, I was 12 at the time, so if anyone could shed any more light on it I'd appreciate it.

20. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

You're right it was our promotion season in 2003. Great turnout, except the coppers didn't allow us to open the north stand to the home fans. Instead we had a taxi full of Swansea fans occupying an empty stand, when there were loads waiting outside. Think they even delayed kick off in order to get everyone in.

There's a video clip of Elliott's goal on Tiger Tube on Amber Nectar but i think it's been taken down now.