1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Time to rebuild for 2016/17

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Robin, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Of our current squad without including the loans,Build the new team around-

O'Donnall
    Golbourne
    Flint
    K Smith
    Kodjia

The rest of the places are up for grabs in my opinion,LJ and SL need to start early get the new players on board early and get them ready for the 2016/17 season.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  2. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Who is ST? Are season ticket holders in charge of buying players?

3. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

No doubt in my mind that Tomlin has been instrumental in keeping us up. I would hope we are talking to him right now.

Red Robin likes this.
  4. Red Robin

Hey Rod that would be excellent let us have our say as we are the next biggest input of funds after SL.

5. Red Robin

The one player that has had a massive input in us staying in this division.
    First name to buy if possible.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  6. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Is that the same Kodjia in your list who you were calling to be dropped only weeks ago?

7. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Kodjia has got 18 goals this season. I would love him to get 20. Hope he can get 2 in the last 2 games. Yet, I'm not convinced. Would keep but I think we need a reliable back up. I would let Agard go.
    Central midfield needs strengthening but a defence that has leaked 70 goals needs shoring up.
    Tomlin and Matthews would be good acquisitions together with a central defender.
    Not sure who is out of contract other than Wagstaff. Little and Ayling I don't feel will feature much.

8. RedorDead

I'm hoping some fans are not expecting us to be challenging for promotion next season. We've done well to stay in this division this season after a poor start. But let's be realistic and not start Johnson out threads if we are not top six by November. I did enjoy that one season last year when not one Cotterill out threads appeared.

9. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

I think I am more confident than I have ever been about rebuilding the club. Much better infrastructure this time.

10. cidered abroad

cidered abroad Well-Known Member

I'm not fully up to speed with lengths of contracts but these are who I expect to see as the core of next season's squad.
    O'Donnell / Fielding
    Flint / Golbourne
    Smith / Pack / Reid / Bryan
    Kodjia / Wilbraham / Burns

As for new recruits, I would like Adam Matthews and Tomlin because both have brought quality that is good enough to take us to an above half way finish.

Plus at least two back four defenders, two midfielder/wingers and two strikers.

Whether Ayling, Freeman, Williams, Wagstaff, Agard are here next season? I think mostly not but I'm not LJ.

I have not considered any like Garrita, McCoulskey, Kelly, Vyner, Baldwin and other under 21's as I know little about them. But regularly watching the Under 21 is my new season's resolution.

11. RedorDead

I think we might see one or two under 21's in the next two games.

I'm hoping Adam Mathews has a clause in his loan deal as I think he's been a massive changing point for us in defence

12. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

It would be good to give first team experience for untried players. Also those who Lee is unsure on should be given a chance to play and show what they can do. The next few games are about development for next season rather than league position

13. Red Robin

I don't think he is any where near the finished article,however a second season in the championship and a pre season of training hopefully will improve him.
    I do think we need two more top championship strikers to come on board though.

14. RedorDead

But these two top championship strikers will only join if they are guaranteed first team action. So by signing these two you are confining Kodjia to either the bench or worse.
    You can't build a team around him if he's not playing!
    So what is it build a team around him or just get two top strikers in?

15. banksyisourhero

Dont confuse him ROD.. he was also saying Flint wasn't good enough earlier this season?

What is it to be? A player pathway from the much maligned academy, self sufficiency and players targeted for being the right age and temperament or just buying in quality strikers like Andre Gray and Dwight Gayle who the club were roundly criticised for trying to attract here as they were 'out of our league'

Kodjia is very well thought of across the leagues and by other clubs fans, we will be very lucky to keep him here next year, let alone bench him for '2 quality' strikers. I find it difficult to believe that there are those who can't see his massive potential and I believe his style would be even better suited to the Prem.. I am sure we will just be a part of his journey.

16. RedorDead

I sat in front of someone on Tuesday night and all he done was run Kodjia down. I laughed when he went for a piss just as Kodjia scored.
    But anyway in his first year Gray scored 19 goals, and people were licking their lips at the prospect of him signing. Kodjia has scored 17-18 in a relegation squad in his first season bedding into a new country etc ( with the added problems of his locality in Paris being terrorist attacked) with two games spare. And some want to get two top championship stikers. I'm interested to know where these two better than him are and how much they will cost.
    Kodjia IMO will be so much better, he needs the ball to either be played over the top or through the defence as he attacks at pace. Playing alongside Wilbs feeding of knockdown's is not his style, he's not a poacher type forward.
    The pre season will do him good he will learn the language better and no doubt stop being too quick and getting into offside positions. Quite a few time's believe it or not is he's too quick for linesmen who think he's offside, like the Reading game.

17. banksyisourhero

"I sat in front of someone on Tuesday night and all he done was run Kodjia down"

Were you in the Dolman? It may have been Red Robin.

18. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

He's signing. Littles interview all but confirms it.

Agree with ROD though when he says about expectation for next season. This one hasn't finished yet and we're hearing rumours of a 10-20m transfer kitty for next season. Let's say we do spend 20m (I cant see it) the pressure would be right on LJ and I myself would expect a top 10 finish at the very least because that amount of money should be getting you there. I've no doubt that the club will be better organised this summer and we'll see a whole host of talent walking through the doors. So I myself am hoping for a comfortable top half finish but hopefully we don't have any LJ OUT threads come November

Red Robin likes this.
  19. Red Robin

Rod Agard will be gone,WIlbs as much as I love him will be a bit part player,that leaves one decent striker in Kojak.We need two more top strikers the season is long and hard.injurys,suspensions etc will happen,lack of form will all happen.
    Hence a need for two more up top to arrive.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  20. RedorDead

Yes but two top players will only sign if they are guaranteed starters. They understand if form dictates they will be dropped but not until they have 10 games under their belts.
    One top one to play alongside Kodjia, Wilbs as a bit part and one up and coming striker will be ok.