1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tony Watt

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by DickPlumb, Jan 1, 2017.

1. ACWORTH2016

ACWORTH2016 Banned

perhaps hes trying get a move to the bbc to hoast film 2017 lazy ****er

Butterfield likes this.
  2. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Season 2016-17
    Tony Watt's League starts

Total 9
    Wins 1
    Draws 5
    Defeats 3

Points = 8 (from a possible 27)
    Points per game = 0.89
    Goals = 2
    Goals per game = 0.22 (one goal every four and a half games)

3. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Lardi, those statistics are most unfair. Watt caught our worst spell. He git dropped just when we hit all those easy teams at tge end of the season, and started winning. Can't be a coincidence can it?

lardiman likes this.
  4. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

With our decent loanies gone Konsa bound to go before the season starts ditto Holmes ..my mate Tony will be the main man

5. lardiman

Forum Moderator

A News Shopper report from yesterday evening...

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/...fends_Watt_after_backlash_from_Charlton_fans/

Karl Robinson has leapt to the defence of Charlton striker Tony Watt after their 1-0 win over Bristol Rovers.
    Watt was subbed on for the final 20 minutes, and faced criticism from Addicks fans for his work-rate.

But Robinson said the Scotland international executed his job well, playing the furthest forward following Lee Novak’s sixth-minute red card.
    He told News Shopper:
    “I told him not to [chase every ball down] because if he goes chasing, stupidly, he goes with the keeper and their centre-halves and now we've only got eight [out-field] players. But if he doesn't chase, we keep nine on the side of the ball. The centre-backs and the goalkeeper are never going to score. It was important for him to be on the toes of the two midfield players. He got a lot of knock-downs - and if he wasn't there - the ball would've gone to one of their players."

With Josh Magennis injured and Novak suspended, Watt is Charlton’s only fit striker.

OK, Karl Robinson feels obliged to try to cover for his player. He's probably worked hard to get Tony Watt's attitude right during the summer and was hoping that he was going to come good. But it's hard to believe this is going to convince anybody.

So Watt was instructed to stay behind the ball rather than go chasing punts upfield.
    If that was the intention, why put Tony Watt on the pitch at all? Defending and slowing down the opposition is not his game.

Sorry Karl. but Watt did not get a lot of knock downs. And the ball did go to one of their players far too often.
    Fans aren't blind - we could see what was happening.
    Yes, we saw Tony Watt begin to run several times and then stop, which was utterly infuriating and was taken to be a sign that the player was neither not fit or could not be arsed. Had we known then that Watt was obeying orders and stifling his instinct to go and chase the ball we would have still have been just as angry, but with you KR, rather than your substitute.
    When Billy Clarke was subbed after 70 minutes yesterday we had Andrew Crofts, Naby Sarr, Ezri Konsa and Ben Reeves on the bench. Surely any one of those would have been better suited to the job Robinson wanted done than Tony Watt. In the end Crofts came on in the 95th minute and none of the others named made an appearance at all.

When you're down to 10 men and defending a 1 goal lead well (as we were with Billy Clarke on the pitch) and you want to give up attacking play altogether and concentrate on defending from the midfield, surely it would be better to play the last 20 minutes with 9 recognised midfielders & defenders rather than asking an out-and-out striker to do a defensive job.

Granted I'm saying this with hindsight, but it seems so obvious.
    Yes, the crowd began chanting "Tony Watt Watt Watt" as soon as they saw he was about to come on. But they thought he was coming on to help take the game to Bristol Rovers - who were flagging at 70 minutes - and grab a chance to make it 2-0. Not to try defending from the centre circle.
    By the time Watt actually won a header all it earned him was ironic cheers, and even when he got the first touch he had little chance of controlling it and nobody to play it to.

And as for the last line of the News Shopper report: "With Magennis injured and Novak suspended, Watt is Charlton's only fit striker"...
    Whose fault is that?
    We've only had 13 weeks to address that situation.
    Nicky Ajose wanted out. Karlan Ahearne-Grant is still not good enough (yet, or maybe ever). And Lee Novak has now proven ineffective yet again in less than subtle style, within 6 whole minutes of the new season gone.

There are three and a half weeks of the transfer window left. We can't be relying on Ricky Holmes and Patrick Bauer to be our main goal scorers if we want to get anywhere near promotion this season.

Robinson - sort it out.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  6. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I disagree with his theory on the tactic for reasons you've mentioned above, but feel it was important to come out and defend Watt as he was already on the receiving end of a lot of abuse. I even doubted him :(

Reckon @Miketyson2007 was the only CAFC to not have a go yesterday!

Ken Shabby likes this.
  7. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I'll admit I was angry with Tony Watt when I thought his performance was a result of him being unfit or not caring.

If however Watt was trying diligently to do what Karl Robinson told him to do - clearly contrary to his instincts as a striker - then I'm more annoyed with Robinson than Watt. I can't understand why KR would put Watt in that situation, rather than just choose another player from those he had available on the bench.

In the end the great result was not lost because of that substitution, but I still think the choice of sub was a mistake by KR.
    However I'm sorry Tony Watt for misjudging you. I appreciate you were doing your best for the team.

8. Ken Shabby

Nope Super. I thought he was probably under orders. He did look knackered but we were wasting time chronically and the pantomime with the shinpads suggested he was doing whatever to run the clock down.

9. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

I was working so wasn't there BUT have to defend my boy ..playing to orders obviously !!!

10. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Most of the abuse seemed to be in regards to his shin pads!

Still I would have preferred a repeat of forest at home 3 seasons ago :)

11. Ken Shabby

Maybe at Exeter he'll show us the new Watt<cheers>

12. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Never mind any lack of effort, just looks a poor player. No real pace, certainly not enough to take on defenders, poor first touch, head down, not very good in the air.

13. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

Maybe a new pair of shin pads will bring out the best in TWWW

14. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

Watt has got to be moved on. He can't head the ball, is lazy. Lost what pace he had, no stamina.Once a new striker comes in I hope Watt is moved out. He has been given more than enough chances.

15. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Time for TWWW to concentrate on his career as a film reviewer.

DickPlumb and DonCorleone like this.
  16. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

With Barry Norman gone and the current girl being so useless!... an opportunity awaits TWWW... go grab it.

17. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I'm hesitant to be so harsh - I really do think he's not in the best mental shape. Weight fluctuates, constantly appears to be indoors, takes shed loads of criticsm online.

I also noted the way KR spoke of moving him on - that they will only do it if it's "right for tony". Here's hoping whatever move he makes that he can settle quickly and get back to doing what he does best.

Ken Shabby and The Kish like this.
  18. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Robinson confirmed after the Plymouth game today that Watt has left the club. He has continued his downward spiral by joining a Belgian 2nd division club.

Sadly the lad can't help himself - he will be emptying bins in Airdrie in 3 years time.

19. CAFC'sBestInterests

CAFC'sBestInterests Well-Known Member

He wont be able to hit the back of the bin lorry whilst throwing the clear bags in.
    #NoEndProduct

20. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

Finally remembered your sign in code then Mr van Gerwen?!