1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Top 5 albums

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by oldman, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Quill

Quill Bastard

In terms of upcoming albums, there isn't really any I'm bothered about apart from The Killers' new one. This year has been a tad disappointing IMO, only a couple of albums have been any good for me (Royal Blood and Paul Weller), a few of the releases from bands like Arcade Fire and Gorillaz have been disappointing.

Noel Gallagher and Arctic Monkeys are both recording their new albums so I'm looking forward to them, but they won't be here for a bit.

EDIT: Oh, just remembered that Bjork is meant to be releasing an album this year too, looking out for that one too.

2. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Yes, I can play them, thanks.

Still got the original vinyl, so I can play them all, but thanks for the offer, along with my original Astral Weeks and Moondance, Cheap Thrills by Big Brother And The Holding Company, various other Janis Koplin and Lovin' Spoonful albumsand my most prized one, an original 1965 Mono version of Otis Blue, Otis Redding Sings Soul. By far the best as they re-recorded the tracks later and added a false stereo which ruined them. Quite a few others but those are my favourites. Don't care what anyone says, they sound better played through my old hi-fi system when I can be bthered setting it up than any of the CDs I have of them.

Nearly forgot, needless to say there are some original Fleetwood Mac albums,including their first one.

3. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Good.
    We have similar tastes in music obviously. Otis Blue in mono...some envy here I must say.
    Yeh, I still use my old turntable frequently - the pops & hisses are all part of the memories of when they were first listened to. I once, about 15 years ago, bought some software to clean all that stuff up to re-record but gave up using it after a couple of efforts because it got rid of so much of the atmospherics I remembered.
    PG's Fleetwood Mac are still my favourite ever group. Have, like you, all the original vinyl. Their pre-history was a fantastic era - Mayall, Graham Bond, Alexis Corner etc etc. Saw many of them in Leeds in the mid-late 60's. Brilliant era.

4. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Just because I can...

tigerscanada likes this.
  5. moonray

moonray Member

TryfanTyger said:
    The Flat Earth - Thomas Dolby

Yes, I thought I was the only one.

I saw him in Brighton a few years back in a small club doing a (nearly) one-man show, manually building up his sequences layer on layer. He did The Flat Earth, Airwaves and I Scare Myself within the first 20 minutes. I could have left then a very happy man.

Astronauts and Heretics is another criminally underrated album.

AlRawdah likes this.
  6. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Don't like Neil Young. Find him as depressing as Leonard Cohen and James Taylor. My better half likes him however. Though that is no recommendation given some if her likes in music.

7. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Your better half has excellent taste in this regard :emoticon-0100-smile Love Neil Young me. My missus knew his father (really, no kidding).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017