1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Jan 3, 2017.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Wednesday 4th January 8pm
    Premier League
    White Hart Lane​

Four wins in a row and four goals scored in each of the last two, both of which were away games.
    Things are looking up a bit, but this is one of the toughest games of the season.
    The rivalry's worse than ever and the result could be very important to the balance of the table.
    Bad blood and the only game of the night? Needs a strong ref, in my opinion.

Chelsea's form has been spoke about endlessly and with good reason.
    They've won 13 consecutive league games and are one away from breaking a Premier League record.
    The last team that they lost to is also the side whose record they've matched: Arsenal.
    They also lost to West Ham in that time, but it was the League Cup and they rested lots of players.

This fixture was rather forgettable in the last campaign, as Mourinho parked the bus.
    A couple of first half chances for us and a second half one for the visitors were all of note, unfortunately.
    Chelsea were hovering over the relegation zone at the time, so they were far happier with a point.
    I can't see them having that attitude for this game.

Crap quality highlights to go with the crap quality in the highlights, I'm afraid:

This is the first time that we face a side that we've already played in the league this season.
    Our visit to Stamford Bridge came when we were still unbeaten, but not playing very well.
    The first half was extremely one-sided, but we went in level at the break, despite taking the lead.
    Eriksen struck early and we looked to be coasting, but Pedro pulled it back just before half-time.
    Moses put them ahead, as Conte switched things up tactically and we never really looked like equalising.

More crap quality, to go with the crap result:

Walker and Vertonghen return from their suspensions and we've got no new ones to deal with.
    Lamela still isn't fit enough to be considered, but he's our only absence.
    Pedro returns from his suspension and Chelsea have no injuries, according to Conte.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Dier, Alderweireld, Wimmer; Trippier, Wanyama, Eriksen, Rose; Son, Alli; Kane.
    Subs: Vorm, Carter-Vickers, Davies, Dembele, Winks, Sissoko, Janssen.
    League form: WLWWWW.

Chelsea: Courtois; Cahill, Luiz, Azpilicueta; Alonso, Kante, Fabregas, Moses; Hazard, Costa, Willian.
    Subs: Begovic, Zouma, Ivanovic, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek, Matic, Batshuayi.
    League form: WWWWWW.

Referee: Martin Atkinson.

TV: Sky Sports 1.

Trippier played very well, but was it enough to prevent Walker's return to the side?
    Sissoko was benched for Watford, but should he return and if so, then who for?
    Should we pick three or four at the back?

Spurf and RobSpur like this.
  2. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Paul Stewart will be hoping you end Chelsea's run - like the rest of us

3. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

The problem with using our Plan B is that it is Chelsea's Plan A. Can we beat them at their own game? We approached the away fixture with our normal 4-2-3-1 and it served us well for the first 44 minutes. I think that with a full strength side, we can get a result using that approach.

4. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

If we play like we did at the Bridge in the first half we will win. Earlier in the season we were spurning chances and goal scoring was our major weakness. As last season we kicked on after a start that saw us all surprised at how well we were doing in the league while playing some very uninspiring football. This season has been similar. We can expect an intense game.
    Walker should be back he is a major player for us. Trippier can be a useful sub for the last 20 minutes of a stalemated game.

5. crackerman jack

crackerman jack Well-Known Member

Without trying to state the obvious this is the most important game of the season for us. We need to win. I don't care if we play terrible but somehow have some incredible luck and win. I couldn't honestly care less as long as we get the three points.
    It's about time we had some luck against Chelsea anyway.
    I think the back 5 picks itself. Trippier has done well but Walker is the better player (and rested) and should start. Likewise Vertonghen should come straight back in. Part of me would like to see Dier and wanyama and then a front 4 of Dembele, Eriksen, Alli and Kane but maybe there is not enough pace there?
    Would be a strong bench to be able to bring sissoko and Son on if we were struggling though.
    I get more worked up over this game then the NLD. I used to hate Arsenal more but Chelsea have overtaken them by far now. I can't honestly say I will enjoy watching tomorrow. I just hope we can play like we know we can and make the league a bit more interesting!

6. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I am 50 tomorrow...my kids and Mrs rcl are taking me out after work so will not see the match...so will give my input now.

Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeee
    Don't let them beat us....
    Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssse

Enjoy the match guys
    COYS

Shark, The Changing Man and RobSpur like this.
  7. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Happy Birthday RCL enjoy your day.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  8. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Many happy returns rcl.

Any chance I could join you? I'm bricking it already.

9. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Have a great day mate. Can you leave us with a "no way will Kane be scoring a hattrick tomorrow" or similar.

10. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Kane could play until I am 51 with out scoring 1 goal against them, let alone 3!

Personally I blame Sissoko!

11. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

They ended our unbeaten run earlier this season if I recall.

Let's do the same to them.

12. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

You stay the **** away from this game.

Happy birthday mate.

13. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I’d go for a back three with Wanyama, Dembélé, Eriksen, Alli and Kane. I’m very tempted to start Sissoko over Dembélé, though. I’m not convinced Dembélé is 100%, and Sissoko played very well his last two games. Having to worry about him and Eriksen at once might make things very difficult for Chelsea. In any case, we ought to take every risk to try to win.

Come to think of it, if it were up to me, I’d play Dembélé and Sissoko and drop Wanyama.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  14. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

After what happened with Dembele last season if he's not up for this one he'll never be up for a match. He must start, just keep his cool and let them lose theirs.

Just saw a good omen, when driving into work a guy with a Star of David painted on to his hard hat gave me the thumbs up, I've never seen a Star of David in the Congo before. COYS!

15. deedub93

Happy Birthday RCL, the big 50! You never know, your wife and kids might have bought you some hospitality tickets for this one.

16. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday RCL Welcome to the over 50s club!

17. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Agree with this. <ok>

Let's remember that Liverpool and Arsenal dropped points this weekend, and we could be the ones to take them from Chelsea too. - So no doubt, in usual spursy style, with the chance to go 3rd, we'll lose! <laugh>

crackerman jack likes this.
  18. deedub93

Just found out it's Martyrs Day in the DR Congo, Public Holiday so we only work from 05:00 til mid-day rater than 18:00. I'll be able to sleep all afternoon and watch the match tonight. 20:00 Kick off in the UK is 22:00 here. When a match finishes near mid-night and one is full of adrenellin, it's impossible to sleep until about 01:30. Makes getting up at 03:30 bloody near impossible without a few hours during the previous afternoon. COYS!!!

19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

A very Happy Birthday to you mate, hope Spurs make it one to remember <ok>

20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

A couple tough selection choices, Dembele's had a rest but I'm not sure he's 100%. Plus, his past two games against Chelsea has seen him pick up a 6 game suspension (although he should've been knighted for that) and gift the ball away in the middle of the park which led to a Chelsea goal (lost possession in similar areas against Utd and Soton, too).

As good as Kev and especially Tripps were against Watford, Walker and Jan have to return, it's extremely harsh on players who play well but the latter two make the back line much more formidable and we'll need that tonight.

A toss up between Son and Sissoko to start. Sissoko got a complete rest against Watford, has 3 assists in his last 5 games and is just about beginning to show why we spent a lot of money on him, while Sonny has contributed towards a very impressive 11 goals (6 scored, 5 assisted) in his 16 league games but played the full 90 against Watford having squandered a few chances but never stopped running, so won't be as fresh as Moussa.

Think I'd go with:

Hugo
    Walker, Toby, Jan, Rose
    Dier, Wanyama
    Sissoko, Eriksen, Alli
    Kane

Vorm, Tripps, Kev, Dembele, Winks, Son, Janssen

Dembele to come on in the second half and help keep possession once we gain a 2-0 lead :D.

Sissoko and Son to have a similar switch up like they did against Southampton, Sissoko does a lot of work and wears out the full back for 70-75 minutes, Son then comes on to score a neat finish!

One thing that'll be interesting for this match is that we're near enough full strength this time around when facing Chelsea. At the Bridge we didn't have a natural LB, no Toby so Dier was played at what now seems a secondary role at CB, Kane had returned only a couple of games prior so probably wasn't 100% and Sissoko wasn't even in the squad as he was dog **** and excluded at the time, yet despite all this we dominated the first half and eventually lost a close fought battle. Now we're close to full strength (minus Lamela), can we inflict a much deserved defeat on Chelsea? I ****ing hope so!

COYS!!!!!!!!!!!!