1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Everton

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Mar 2, 2017.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Sunday 5th March 1.30pm
    Premier League
    White Hart Lane​

Back to winning ways in the Premier League and in emphatic style, too.
    Recording our third consecutive 4-0 win over Stoke should be good for the squad's confidence.
    We've got a break for the FA Cup after this game, so things could become very tight in the league.
    A win could give us a little breathing space and distance us from our visitors, who are still chasing European football.

The Blue side of Merseyside's been enjoying some very good form and football recently.
    Their last league loss was in December, as they narrowly lost to Liverpool, though they exited the FA Cup in that time.
    Here are highlights of their loss to Leicester, where both sides made a few changes:

They're on a run of 9 unbeaten games in the league, 6 of which were wins.
    Lukaku's looking very dangerous in front of goal and Tom Davies has broken through from the youth academy.
    Schneiderlin's added some steel to their midfield since joining in January and their fullbacks offer good width.
    Their depth issues seem to have been addressed somewhat too, with Lookman adding firepower since joining from Charlton.
    Things are definitely looking up for Koeman's side.

We met Everton at White Hart Lane early on last season, as we were still searching for our first win.
    Despite being by far the more creative side, we didn't take our chances and it ended goalless.
    Harry Kane had the best of the bunch, but couldn't beat MOTM Tim Howard, unfortunately.
    Cleverly and Dembele both picked up injuries, which disrupted things quite a bit for both teams.

Our trip to Goodison opened this campaign and it was another frustrating draw, though for very different reasons.
    Their early pressing caused us a lot of problems and we went behind quickly to a somewhat fortuitous free-kick.
    Hugo Lloris went off with an injury before half-time too, adding to our misery.
    We were probably lucky not to be further behind by the break, but Pochettino changed things shortly afterwards.
    The introduction of Janssen turned the game and we leveled through Lamela's header, then could've won it late on.
    Stekelenburg saved two good chances and ensured another day of split points.

No suspensions for this one, though Lamela and Rose are still out.
    Vertonghen and Alderweireld will all be tested closer to the game.
    Everton have no bans either, though Bolasie will definitely be missing through injury.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Dier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen; Walker, Wanyama, Dembele, Davies; Alli, Eriksen; Kane.
    Subs: Vorm, Trippier, Wimmer, Winks, Sissoko, Son, Janssen.
    League form: WDDWLW.

Everton: Robles; Coleman, Williams, Funes Mori, Baines; Davies, Schneiderlin, Gueye; Barkley, Lukaku, Lookman.
    Subs: Stekelenburg, Jagielka, Barry, McCarthy, Holgate, Mirallas, Valencia.
    League form: WWDWDW.

Referee: Michael Oliver.

TV: Sky Sports 1.

Are any changes to the system needed to deal with Everton's tactics?
    What should we do if either of our Belgian centre-halves misses the game through injury?
    Should we change any of the starting XI that beat Stoke, if everyone's available?

Spurf likes this.
  2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Naturally it didn't take long before a Narrative started, namely headlines speculating that Lookman will leave us wishing we signed him in January.

If you're going to make **** up to farm clicks, why not say Barkley will look to force a summer move to Spurs by spending his entire time on the pitch passing to Spurs players in good scoring positions?

3. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Will be a serious test this one,
    They have third best PL form over the past 10 games, and Spurs have not beat
    them in the PL that regularly of late either.

4. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Everton's back line is solid but very susceptible to being caught on the turn by pacy front lines. Unfortunately for us, ours is far from pacy. I would play the same XI that started against Stoke, and use the wing-backs to keep Baines and Coleman on the back foot.

Wanyama/Dembele v Gueye/Schneiderlin will be a fascinating midfield battle and will probably be where the game is won or lost. If we dominate it, Lukaku will be starved of service and we stand an excellent chance of winning.

We seemed to have developed a habit of drawing with them, and whilst I wouldn't be massively disappointed with a draw given the run they're on, realistically with Liverpool dropping points against Leicester and then facing Arsenal on Saturday, we must start taking full advantage of the rare occasions that our rivals drop points. On paper, I'd say this is our 3rd hardest fixture of the remaining 13 so a win would send out a massive statement of intent.

audrey.s.thackeray likes this.
  5. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

If we play with a back 4, then there'll be 3 of them in there - Davies being the 3rd.

The 3 of them were great last week, Schneiderlin has settled well and is now fully match fit.

I think Koeman will have us playing quite deep, and try and catch you on the counter.

Lookman had a poor game last week, so I can see Mirallas starting.

6. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Our record in big games where we have a chance to make a meaningful step forward against good teams is fairly poor overall, but much better at WHL. I give Koeman a lot of credit for getting a team filled with talented players with questionable attitudes straightened up and flying right. I'd be a lot more hopeful if Vertonghen and Alderweireld are fit.

7. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

If Spurs can beat Man City and Chelsea at WHL, then I would like to see them beat Everton. Yes, it will be a tough game based on their current form, but Spurs should be looking to win this.

8. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Everton are going pretty well at the moment but I don't see a great deal of goal threat outside Lukaku and Coleman. Unfortunately, the loss of Rose will be felt as their best player is probably their right back. However, if we play as we have at home this season we should win. Draws are of limited use to us right now. I'd rather we lost going for it than accept 1 point.

3 at the back and swap Davies for Son at half time [as if], should we not be ahead.

9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

10. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

Looks promising. We really need Toby and Jan for this game.

11. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

What is this 'field work' Lamela has been busy with for the past 2 months?
    Has he been given his own little allotment in a corner of the training ground to grow his own vegetables? Can someone please photoshop Lamela on a tractor ploughing a field?

It's either that or he has started a job with MI5 and has been given a covert operation to investigate.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  12. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Let me guess, if the result is anything other than a repeat of Stoke the hacks will be quick to say it's because Poch is distracted by the Barca talk

...or course, if the result is exactly the same as Stoke, I doubt a single hack will mention it's because Koeman is distracted by the Barca talk

13. The RDBD

Little allotment ??
    With the neighbouring farmland he could go full Mikey Carroll with a tractor.

14. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

My last visit to the Lane as we know it, just hoping to see our best XI play well and win - thats not too much too ask is it!

15. The RDBD

As long as you are not asking our great leader to be in full suit.

16. The RDBD

Apologies again for the oxygen thief at the beginning (again : WTF is he !!?? ) .

17. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Kane might be useful as well.:emoticon-0107-sweat

18. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Can see them sticking a fly in the ointment...again.
    We battered them at their place last January only for Lennon to score with their only attack on the half. Think we hit the post 2 or 3 times too.
    3 draws on the bounce...think that after the game on sunday I will be wishing we got a point. They are in good form and their attackers will cause us a big headache imo

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  19. Someone told him he had a small holding and he took offence (a fence, geddit?) <laugh>

20. Hope I'm wrong, but have a feeling we will come away with zip tomorrow. But a draw is worth little at this stage so at the very least we should go down on the front foot.