1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Everton

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

"The last Mongol Khan was Ligden Khan in the early 17th century. He came into conflicts with the Manchus over the looting of Chinese cities, and also alienated most Mongol tribes. He died in 1634. By 1636 most Inner Mongolian tribes had submitted to the Manchus, who founded the Qing dynasty. The Khalkha eventually submitted to Qing rule in 1691, thus bringing all of today's Mongolia under Manchu rule. After several wars, the Dzungars (the western Mongols or Oirats) were virtually annihilated during the Qing conquest of Dzungaria in 1757–58"

Sounds like it could've been Roberto Mancini's ancestors.

redwhiteandermblue likes this.
  2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Middlesbrough, Hull and Sunderland are mathematically unable to finish ahead of us, meaning that we're guaranteed to stay up.

Funny how Leicester fans have been so keen to call their team "the champions" so much lately, ironically at the exact same time that they became mathematically unable to catch up to the Chavs. Let me guess, next year is their year?

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

I was in the Gilpins Bell today and enjoying a nice pre match schooner of sherry, when the Police arrived. Turns out they had been alerted there were Millwall fans in some of the local pubs, checking out the territory before returning next week to smash the places in.

Oh and Judge Rinder was at the Lane today.

And I am pleased to announce I am very much enjoying our current home performances thank you.

4. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

If that's the last time I get to the Lane then that was a great game to finish with. Again I cannot add much to whats already been written here but I thought that 3-2 flattered Everton hugely and I was actually disappointed with them, and there hit it long and hope Lukaku wins it tactics. I also thought that they were extremely physical and that Mr Oliver could have issued considerably more cards than he did.

I thought Ben Davies was excellent, and aside from the slip which was unfortunate Vertonghen was imperious today, and Wanyama just immense. Eriksen was frustrating, but everyone contributed to a superb team performance, even Vincent Janssen made an impact in his 5 mins.

5. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Easy to spot them in your "pub" (haircuts, no shirt + tie etc) .

6. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

....and a map of London.

The RDBD likes this.
  7. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Won a couple of important free-kicks.
    The one that Alli scored from and the one that Williams got booked for.

8. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

I like Michael Oliver, I think he's a decent ref, but I think his performance today was below his normal standard.

9. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Everton's main strategy was to use as much force as they could get away with in stopping us as opposed to our use of as much physical force as should be within a reasonable interpretation of the rules in making fair challenges. Too few bookings encourages persistent fouling, which is what we got today. Fortunately, MP has built a team that's not intimidated by such tactics.

We're very physical but not dirty. Everton can't claim the same.

The Changing Man likes this.
  10. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

11. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

12. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

One memory from that game.Our center half John Ryden got injured and was sent up front to center forward.......and scored goal number 10.

13. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Just had a little look at the league table and my overwhelming feeling is..regardless of the ranting and raving, I'm proud of my team...lookin pretty.

SpursDisciple and bigsmithy9 like this.
  14. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

There seems to be an assumption that if the ref "lets the game flow" then he's doing a good job. Well that's wrong and yesterday's match proved it because he played the advantage quite a few times for us and there turned out to be no advantage at all. And as a consequence we didn't get a free kick with the chance of getting a dangerous ball in the box, and they seemed to also avoid a few yellows too. If you're attacking with a two or three players against six or seven, and there's a foul, there's got to be very good reason for playing advantage because chances are they've disrupted the attack by the foul anyway and if the ref plays on then chances are the defence will clear it. Surely to play advantage properly is to see if an advantage happens and if not the play is brought back for a free kick anyway - I'm sure that's supposed to happen but it rarely does. So Everton just carried on with their heavy handed defending and pretty much got away with it. I can't imagine a team going to Old Trafford and getting away with it!

15. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

And I stand by you standing by that fact. And what a lovely place to stand it is.

crackerman jack likes this.
  16. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

The foul by Funes Moo-ri on Kane was a very clear yellow card. It' s from behind and nowhere near the ball and obviously aimed at slowing Kane up. The result? He gets a talking to. that's just plain wrong and it encourages further dangerous and overly physical challenges from team mates and possible retribution as happened at Old Trafford on Saturday when a referee shows he's not getting to grips with foul play

. Its good to see some physicality in the game but failure to deal with dirty play leads to players 'sorting it out' for themselves or players like James McLean making a career out of going out to injure other players.

17. The RDBD

18. The RDBD

Rugby again is another example where the team-wide behaviour is noted.
    If there is repeated infringement across a team in a time period, the ref tells the
    captain the next one is going to suffer regardless of how trivial the infringement is.

19. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Not just team mates.

It means the player himself-in this instance Funes Mori- knows he can commit another foul without being worried that it could lead to a second yellow/red.
    As a defender that is a huge plus because he is free to stop a player with a cynical foul.

20. The RDBD

Additionally ...

Lovearsenalcock likes this.