1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Millwall

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Xavi Winks has definitely come on leaps and bounds this season, plays like someone far beyond his years. Has a real maturity about his play, really good passer and similar to what PNP said, he's not afraid to do a bit of grafting either.

Will be a huge player for us over the coming years.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  2. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

What I love about Winks is that he has that most simple and elemental quality every footballer should have yet too few seem to master:

He plays with his head up.

Players like Son, Alli and Dembele could do well to watch him and learn. It doesn't take an abundance of skill, speed or strength to avoid getting stuck in a dead end and losing the ball. All it takes is a calm awareness of your surroundings. Watching Winks play; even if he knows that he is in acres of space, he will glance around twice every time he enters active play. Once just before he shows for the ball, and once as soon as he receives it. He is already building a picture perfect image of the field of play and mapping out the best choice before the opposition have even thought to apply pressure on his possession.

I agree with an earlier assessment: the last player we had who played with his head up all game was Modric.

Young Winks has a huge future ahead of him...

3. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I look at Winks and someone like Josh Onomah seems light years away from the first team. When Winks comes on i don't feel as though the team has diminished in its capabilities.

Saw some paper gossip saying Spain were looking at nationalising him. Don't know how that links but I can see why they would want him.

4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Can play for Spain through one of his Grandparents apparently.

Xavi Winks to be Xavi's heir makes sense for them, it'd be bitter sweet IF he ever opted for Spain though. I love seeing our academy lads put on the England shirt but if Winks opted for Spain he'd be surrounded by much better players. Tough decision I suppose, learn and play alongside Koke/ Isco/ Mata/ Silva or Delph/ Henderson/ Wilshite/ Barkley... Hmmm.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  5. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Very tidy play, and near always trying to move the ball FORWARD.
    Such players are important for when "flair" players have not turned up.

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Harry Kane is estimated to return from his ankle ligament injury within four to six weeks, according to Sky sources.

Sky Sports News HQ understands Kane and Spurs are waiting for the swelling to fully subside before assessing the amount of movement in his ankle.

Tottenham are not putting a time-frame on the striker's return but believe the injury is not as serious as a similar knock that kept him out for eight weeks earlier this season and expect him to return in a shorter period.

The club will prepare for a home fixture against Bournemouth on April 15.

The England striker hurt the same ankle against Sunderland in the Premier League in September, which kept him out for 10 games, and he is set to miss crucial clashes with Southampton, Burnley, Swansea and Watford at least.

Oh Great Spirit, please make it so...

7. Citizen Kane

The key is not to revert back to the 4-2-3-1 nonsense as we did last time this happened. It clearly doesn't work even when we're at full strength, so why it would magically work with a key player out is beyond me.

Stick to 3 at the back and play a false 9 with Alli, Eriksen and Son interchanging at the top. That should be enough to overcome all of our upcoming opponents between now and the semi-final.

Rocky blue army likes this.
  8. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

M.P. Has just cut his estimate to 3-4 weeks.

So better news!....

Edit: Apparently, that's Kane's estimate!...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  9. Citizen Kane

Source?

10. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

For what it's worth. The headline was a bit misleading, but Harry does sound optimistic.

11. Citizen Kane

The plus side is that he suffered an identical injury only a couple of months ago, so he'll know if the pain and discomfort is noticeably less.

Rose's return after the break will be key. We've coped perfectly well this season with one key player out at a time, but as soon as that becomes 2-3 things have gone to pot.

12. Nothing to be proud of!!

13. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wonder if there are better plans for this sort of **** for the new stadium? I hope so, but doubt it.
    What the **** was that idiot doing there with his clearly frightened son?

14. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Remember when the policeman had a truncheon?