1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Tour de France

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, Jul 1, 2017.

1. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

It makes a change from the others and their raceist posts.

Edelman likes this.
  2. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

Eeek sorry, this morning for the club run I wore lycra ... we rode 2 abreast on main roads (2 small groups of 7-8 ) & went single on narrow roads where necessary if there were cars or a very big **** of tractor ... we slowed down to let horse riders past (flighty creatures - the horses)
    tomorrow I'll go to work with my 'work clothes' on - sat now in t-shirt & shorts (it is a bit warm) & if i ever go swimming it's budgie smugglers all the way... (well actually baggie swim shorts) most car drivers today thanked us for our courtesy & we thanked them ....

there are twat cyclists, twat drivers etc ad infinitum ...

3. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

That all sounds rather delightful and cordial.Just how it should be.

DMD and Ron Burguvdy like this.
  4. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

It sounds like some of the cyclists on here are a little sensitive. The two incidents I mentioned were separate. I've no problem with them being on the road provided they are using it properly, I do the same in my car and I expect the same of them. Sadly, that isn't the experience I've had since road cycling became more mainstream. That's not to say there aren't those out there who are respectful to drivers (and vice versa) as I've seen plenty.

If the answer on a road like the one from Raywell to South Cave is "drivers need to go into the other lane", then think about the time it takes to accelerate to get out into said lane and back in because if a car is coming the other way at 60mph and has no obstruction, they aren't going to slow down. There are so many tight bends and blind corners that it just isn't practical. Going into the other lane on a road like that is effectively taking your life into your own hands and isn't really good advice.

5. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Having someone using well over a tonne of metal as a weapon because they are ignorant, and not just of the rules of the road can make people raise an eyebrow.

It seems some are beyond being educated. If you can't overtake safely, you really do need driving lessons before going back out on the road, because based on your posts, you seem incapable of driving properly.

Newland Tiger and Edelman like this.
  6. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

And the same would apply when you come up behind an agricultural vehicle, except they are much harder to see past.

DMD likes this.
  7. Edelman

Yep good points.
    Every time I go to Brid there are always dickheads overtake you on Beeford straight.
    They are never more than 15 seconds in front of you when you get to Bridlington.
    And some risk lives doing it.
    My main problem with cyclists is the ones that ignore traffic lights.

DMD likes this.
  8. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Anyone who does 60 on this road wants ****ing certifying... FACT!!!!!... cyclists or no cyclists...

DMD likes this.
  9. Edelman

There was a automobile expert on Radio 2 a few weeks ago mentioning speeding.
    He said that in the not to distant future the cars will be fitted with speed reducing devices.
    They will be controlled like the sat navigation style system and be controlled to the various speeds according to the street/road you're onm

10. Steven Toast

If you can't overtake safely then you don't, it isn't rocket science. You seem to have this image of me hot rodding it around on the roads, which is far from the truth. However, the post above suggested going into the other lane to overtake, which is great advice if you're a moron and value your life at zero. Wouldn't it be great if we lived like Romans and all the roads were straight and everybody was driving in the same direction so there was no such thing as oncoming traffic. I'm sure you follow every road rule all the time because everybody always does right?

It isn't my driving I'm concerned about, I don't even break 70 on the motorway unless I'm overtaking a lorry (I had a bad accident when I was 17 due to a truck driver not paying attention, I'm actually a pretty nervous driver). It's the idiots that bomb around those corners coming the other way. Some of us don't need educating, some of us need to not put other drivers at risk by not following cycling etiquette.

I called out some cyclists for not doing the right thing and now I'm being berated for it. Bollocks, it isn't just about keeping the cyclists safe, it's about all road users.

11. Steven Toast

Most cars now come with a speed limiter that you can set yourself, once you reach that speed the car won't go any quicker. Think Minis have it as standard now.

Edelman likes this.
  12. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

If you can't get past a cyclist without leaving a safe distance, you need additional lessons. Your replies show that you don't know what that safe distance is.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203

please log in to view this image

Rule 163: Give vulnerable road users at least as much space as you would a car.

AlRawdah and Edelman like this.
  13. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

In my experience, the problem isn't the driver knowing what distance to leave, its the cyclist(s) being a ****, expecting to be treated with respect and the same as any other road user, whilst ignoring the rules and showing no one else any respect, be that car drivers or pedestrians.

14. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Some do, without a doubt, but so do some car drivers, and the attitude and ignorance displayed by some on here makes it worse. One is in a tonne plus of metal and there conditionally, the other is in thin cloth and there as of right.

15. Steven Toast

Look at that example <laugh> <laugh> Now try doing that in a real life situation on any country road in East Yorkshire. Because the cyclists will definitely be riding pushbikes and going 8mph on a housing estate with no incoming traffic.

So if one is wearing lycra with no protection around them, you'd think some would be less inclined to act like ****s when sharing a road with cars, lorries and the like.

16. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

You teach children. <yikes>

Edelman likes this.
  17. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Good job you don't live in Holland Sterling... you'd be housebound...

DMD likes this.
  18. Steven Toast

And? Work and social are completely separate. ****ing hell do you think teachers act like teachers all the time? If half this board were the same at work as they were on here we'd all be unemployed!

Sadly some of them have a better grasp on reality than you do. And they're 8. What's your excuse?

Happy Tiger likes this.
  19. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Your poor attitude and ignorance seem to be a feature of your character, I doubt you can turn that off in lessons.

Perhaps you should tell the people that compile the Highway Code and set the driving test that they don't know what they're talking about.

Newland Tiger and Edelman like this.
  20. Steven Toast

It is a good job I don't live in Holland, I can't stand mayo on chips.