1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer window thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Nov 22, 2016.

1. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Tried to post this earlier, but it disappeared into ether. If it reappears I apologise for the double post

I hope Crouch scores his 100 goal today, if he fulfills that milestone and what with Stoke signing another striker (Berinho)...I can see Crouchie going out on loan to someone.....like us

2. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

We think we are a bigger club than we are. We won't admit that if our players shine, and the EPL come opening their wallets, they will stay. We should recognise those likely to move on and have replacements coming through (basic succession planning). Instead we lose our players and flounder around looking for replacements. As Beth mentioned earlier, there does seem to be a focus on developing our youth structure again - there will be successes and failures there, but if we keep a focus, and priority, on players/positions that we need we can consolidate and rebuild. I hope we ensure our development coaching staff are up to the job and we give them the resources (like inviting coaches in to support the team and develop groups and freshen things up - as we did with McClaren a few years back with the first team).

NorwayRanger likes this.
  3. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

Much as I'd love that to happen hasn't Crouch just signed a new contract?

4. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

No chance he will come to us.

5. WalsallHoop

WalsallHoop Active Member

He has & "Sparkless" has been on sky this morning saying how important he still is to Stoke so unlikely.....

Roxwell likes this.
  6. 1982_Ranger

1982_Ranger Well-Known Member

I agree with your second point, we sort of sat on the fence and dithered, rather than either going for promotion and investing more or consolidating and off loading the players with value.

Were there any firm bids though? I know Leicester came in for Charlie, but he didn't want to move there I don't think? Don't remember anyone coming in for the other two.

Hoops Eternal likes this.
  7. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

I think hughes will play little (Berinho) and large (Crouch) up front - maybe keep both on bench and bring on when things are not going to well. And as Crouch has just signed for another year, I cannot (as much as I would love to see him back the hoops again) see him with us this season.

8. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

At the right price of course - £5 million? Must be kidding. Firing blanks after he came on as a 61st min sub at Newcastle today, with the game already lost.

Rotherham United: Danny Ward in £5 million bracket, says Paul Warne, as Millers reject three bids

please log in to view this image

Danny Ward

Paul Warne has placed a £5 million price on the head of Danny Ward as Rotherham United fend off growing interest in their star striker.

Reports of a £2 million offer for the 10-goal hitman were dismissed by caretaker manager Warne, who revealed that three clubs had tabled bids below that figure.

The interim boss believes Ward’s true value is much higher and won’t sell the 26-year-old in the January transfer window unless big money is put on the table.

“I spoke to Danny this morning,” said Warne, whose bottom-placed side travel to Championship leaders Newcastle United on Saturday. “I said to his face: ‘If you can leave my office and come back with anyone under £5m who you think is better than you, please do and I’ll sell you for the same figure.’

“As of yet, he hasn’t been back to me.”

Ward’s Championship admirers include former club Huddersfield Town, QPR, Ipswich Town, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Sheffield Wednesday, Cardiff City and Derby County.

“I am aware that three clubs have put proper bids in and I’m aware that all three have been turned down,” Warne said,

“If a £2m bid had come in, it’s nowhere near enough. It would be rejected.

“If anyone can tell me of a £2m striker I could get in who would come here and play the way Danny does, they’re better at football than I am.

“I said it to Wardy, if an offer doesn’t come in that myself, the chairman and everybody on the board think is a proper offer, then he will be here to the end of the season.”

Part of any fee would go to the Terriers, the club who allowed the centre-forward to join Rotherham in January 2015.

“Huddersfield do have a sell-on clause,” Warne confirmed. “I’m not allowed to say what it is. We got him on a free transfer, which was obviously good business for the club.”

Ward, who faces a battle to be fit for the Magpies clash because of a back injury, is out of contract in the summer.

But the Millers have an option to extend his deal by a further 12 months, which leaves them in a powerful negotiating position now and at the end of the season.

If Ward does stay beyond January, the Millers will trigger the extension so they can still demand a substantial fee when their second-tier campaign is over.

“He’s a great bloke. He just wants to play football,” Warne added. “I understand he is very close to a big opportunity in his life and that if doesn’t happen he might be a little bit disappointed.

“If you’re a Rotherham fan and you think that’s wrong, I disagree. He’s entitled to want to do the best thing for his family. However, if it doesn’t come through and we don’t think it is right, he is happy to play to the end of the season.

“I’m not stupid enough to let him walk out of here on out on a free transfer. We would invoke the extra year and then in the summer he’ll have a better opportunity to see if there are opportunities out there.

“Or his contract might change and we might give him a better deal and he might want to stay here. Unless a substantial pot of cash comes in for him, he isn’t going anywhere and he’ll be our player and hopefully a positive influence on us trying to stay up.”

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foot...-warne-as-millers-reject-three-bids-1-8343375

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  9. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

There was also a fair amount of dithering from Charlie himself, first he was leaving, then he wasn't, and then he did! Prior to Charlie pissing us about I assume the owners had decided that they were not going to throw any more money down the toilet and reign in the spending. But Charlie's apparent desire to stay gave them false hope of an instant return to the PL. I also assume that the FFP rules had a bearing on that decision.

NorwayRanger and finglasqpr like this.
  10. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Is it just me or is some very silly money being paid, and wanted / demanded for players who in my opinion...are just not worth it

11. Flanman

Flanman Well-Known Member

It's just you!

Ninj and kiwiqpr like this.
  12. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

So much for the £12 million man:-

Ross McCormack: Aston Villa forward disciplined after 'continually missing training'

Ross McCormack has made 20 league appearances for Aston Villa, including 13 starts
    Scotland forward Ross McCormack has been disciplined by Aston Villa and dropped after "continually missing training", says manager Steve Bruce.

The 30-year-old was left out of Villa's match-day squad for Saturday's 2-2 Championship draw at home to Preston.

"He is nowhere near fit enough to play and be involved," Bruce told BBC WM 95.6. "I don't think he's in a physical shape or state to contribute.

"Unless his attitude towards everything changes, he's not going to be picked."

Former Leeds and Fulham front man McCormack, who signed for Villa for £12m in August, last scored on Boxing Day.

"It is fair to say disciplinary measures have been made against him because of his attitude and continually missing training," Bruce added.

"Not in 20 years in management have I ever gone down this route but I feel I have to take a stance because I will not put up with it. There has been too much indiscipline at Villa.

"He has decided the team has picked itself. How can I pick him when he doesn't come to training?

"His failure to turn up for training has happened more than once. Everyone can have an excuse but when it is more than once I will not accept it."

McCormack, who began his career as a trainee at Rangers, has netted three goals so far this season.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38707529

13. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Well-Known Member

Is it me or for a club that's far from safe & just got rid of 3 players & need strengthening in a number of areas do things seem incredibly quiet<confused>

14. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Hope they are doing business quietly as they have in the last 2 Windows! We really need another striker, someone who can move the ball around quickly and accurately through midfield (what has happened with Ariel) and another CB imo.

NorwayRanger and BlindFaith like this.
  15. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

That is true but after the last two or three matched I feel pretty calm about it.
    We defintitely need a striker though.

NorwayRanger likes this.
  16. EscapeGoat

EscapeGoat Well-Known Member

17. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

Positions we actually have players and cover for...perhaps it meant to say he is a 20-goal a season striker
    Still I assume he is mean and hungry.

18. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

19. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

He is a good passer of the ball, neat and good technically and scores a few according to ManU website. All of which we are really short of in our midfield now. But he is young and I guess a relegation battle in the Championship is likely to be a big step up for him this season. Another one for the future though.

20. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

I'm actually quite pleased with how this window has gone so far & the signing of Goss will give competition to Luongo, Manning & Doughty. Four youngsters competing for those positions, I love it!

Of course we are far from safe, but that applies to over 50% of the teams in this division. Do we look as if we're going to be in a relegation scrap? I don't think so. We WILL finish above the following:-

Rotherham, Wigan, Blackburn, Burton. Forest, Bristol City, Wolves, Ipswich, Brentford, Birmingham.

I would like to see us sign another centre forward/goalscorer though!

NorwayRanger and Flanman like this.