1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfers and fears

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by DAPARKERSAFC, Jul 21, 2017.

1. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

I think that its looking fairly obvious now that Grayson's hands are tied until more players leave.

We have a free agent keeper on trial but apart from that it's scarily quiet. Even rumours have dried up.

We still need atleast a keeper a centre back and a striker on top of what we have and my big fear is that we'll practically end up giving away Kone Lens and Khazri late in the window leaving us short and out of time.

Another thing clear is any money raised is going straight to Short/debt so I'm almost hoping there are no more sales as no real money is going to be given to Grayson. We'd never better those 3 with our budget so I'm hoping they stay and play.

I'm almost resigned now ro a Sam Gallagher type forward on loan and a free agent keeper and centre back being our lot.

£14m PVA
    £4m Coates
    Pickford £30m
    Mannone £2m
    Borini £1m loan fee

£51m in player sales since January. £100m share of Premier league money + parachute payments. Surely that has gone someway to clearly a fair chunk of the debt.

Surely by a 'competitive budget' Bain meant more than £750k which is what I'd expect league 2 clubs to be playing with.

Anyone have any drastically different views?

What the F is going on?

2. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

It is slightly worrying that it's gone all quiet and we've spent peanuts on bringing in 4 players.

Finishing midtable would be fine with me.

3. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

It's typical Sunderland mate. Never any f*cking logic to anything we do and us fans always kept in the dark.....

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  4. Mackem-Tiz

Mackem-Tiz Well-Known Member

Agree with every word of that mate. We can't even compete financialy with clubs in the Championship now it seems.
    Villa seem to be going for it and if they don't go up this season they are bang in trouble cos they will get very little in their last parachute payment next season.
    But once we get Whatmore back fit, a new centre forward and couple more i'm hoping we will be in the mix. Dont think we'll be getting 105 points this season tho!

5. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Not really surprised by the lack of transfer activity to be honest. The debt is no big secret, Short's desire to reduce it is no big secret. Grayson was clearly appointed due to his track record for achieving on a frugal budget. If anything, I'm surprised at the amount that has been done so far.

Added to that, so far what business we have done so far appears to have gone under the radar until it was substantially complete so I wouldn't be surprised if Bain/Grayson were working on stuff still.

I reckon we might hang on to Khazri and possibly Lens/Kone. If they can be encouraged to buy in to Grayson's way of doing things they might be an asset this season, even if they are expensive.

I see no reason to panic yet. Doubt we'll go straight back up but I think Grayson will keep us safe.

6. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Exactly as expect tbh, we were never getting a lot to spend. Saying that I still think we'll spend 15-20m, I still don't see the need to panic, think we'll get most of our players after the season starts and the transfer window goes into full flow.

Pressure is on a bit to get a competitive first 11 in place. A striker, keeper and a CB in for the first game should do it. We signed 4 in a space of week, Doable.

Still not stressed. Still expect mid table, still think that this is a limbo season while we get our house in order.

Nads, Deleted and Dorset like this.
  7. BIG BAZ

BIG BAZ Well-Known Member

I hope we keep Lens, khazri and kone now because we not getting the money from selling them.

****ing club is a joke and it deserve all the **** it's getting.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  8. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

With you all the way Bri.

I'm not expecting too much success on the pitch during August, because the squad will keep evolving right up to the transfer window closing.

Deleted and Brian Storm like this.
  9. Brian Storm

Damn right. The best loans certainly become available at the back end, once Prem teams have the bulk of their spending done and then know who they can let go out.

Dorset likes this.
  10. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

If there wages have dropped as is supposed to have happened they'll be off. Its a game of Poker with Bain, hope he sorts the mercenary bas@ards and their agents, if not, do what Reidy did with Johnson and let them rot.

11. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Don't think we can afford to fella. If they want out then go at a good price but do it now.

The Little General likes this.
  12. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Hope Bain does the business, I still think the Preston CF will end up here. Boro have played there hand now.

13. DAPARKERSAFC

I'd be blown away if we spend anywhere near 15-20m. Where would you see that getting spent? Is that also based on selling Kone Khazri and Lens?

14. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Could be worse

13439164_1962199310665107_1875231449706464969_n.jpg

BIG BAZ, Brian Storm and J๏E.. like this.
  15. Brian Storm

Nominal fees mount up when we need so many players. We're paper thin with more to leave. I'd be surprised if we spend more than 3m on a single player but many more players will be needed.

Everyone is welcome to leave so i think there's a fair few to go yet. I fully expect Short to grip tightly onto any money incoming with grayson having to prize it out of his clutches. But spending to an extent has to be unavoidable surely.

16. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

I think Ellis sees Safc like a Ford Cortina mk3 that was sold to him by a dodgy Irish salesman, had it restored as cheaply as possible, drove it around the block a few times and then stuck it in a garage hoping some other mk3 fanatic would appear and give him top money for it. He keeps popping his head through them garage doors just to have a quick look but he has totally moved onto newer stuff that floats his boat, doesn't want to lose his investment as cheap as it was and gets the mechanics to keep it running till he can get rid. He won't spend anymore money on it, so he hires it out for wedding car hire, whatever comes in he keeps 90% and the rest is put in to keeping the car running as cheaply as possible..

I bet he hates looking in them garage doors but then again the car can't wait until it gets someone who can drive it properly and with respect..<ok>

Just my opinion this btw.. :)

Have a great weekend all.. <ale>

17. DAPARKERSAFC

How many ins and outs do you think?

18. DAPARKERSAFC

Great analogy

19. BIG BAZ

BIG BAZ Well-Known Member

Even with a 40% dropped they still be on decent wages. Can't see any of the 3 players getting better wages else where.

20. Brian Storm

Very hard to say. Must be a Nightmare for Grayson to plan around, especially with transfer chains and hold ups while agents fanny on.