1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Treatment of a Hero?

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by The Gills PegLeg, Aug 18, 2017.

1. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

So Pennock signed a 4th Goalkeeper yesterday in Steve Arnold. A keeper who was second choice at Conference Dover last season all because Pennock worked with him at Forest Green. Now the murmurings coming out from the club last night is that Hadler is to he shipped out on loan but there aren't any clubs waiting to take on Lord Stuart Nelson.

Now I know the Holy vs Nelson argument has taken up most of the summer but to treat him like this I think is extremely disrespectful. His comments after the Northampton game last season proved Nels wants to stay here and fight for his place, something he's previously been successful at against two very good keepers in Glenn Morris and Jonathan Bond. Yet Pennock used Nelson sparingly in Pre season and he's not even given him a bench place in our first 3 games. Pennock hinted to the media that Nelson would start against Reading and again didn't include him in the squad.

I think we all know that Nels is very much of a confidence keeper and the way he's being treated, being moved down to 4th choice really must have knocked him big time. Our last surviving Champion, whose roars each game would resemble a lion, has now been left as a wounded animal in the corner.

I'm not the greatest fan of Pennock as it is but to treat a fans favourite and a club hero in this manner, in a summer when we've already lost Dacky and Cody, is just insulting to the fans but more importantly Nels.

2. brb

brb CR250

I've for once kept my gob shut around Nels, but as you've done a thread, here's my take...

I think the way Nelson has been treated by the manager and by the FANS is absolutely disgusting!

I'm sick of it, I'm not for favourites, anyone that knows me knows that my thoughts on supporters gods. Ok Nel fell into the god category but for some reason all I read from fickle supporters these days, yes fickle supporters is about the mistakes he makes. Oh he was to blame for that goal, oh he was to blame for us losing that game....

Look, listen up I've been following our team for 40 years, it happens, give the guy a break, we are nothing more than a league one side, if you don't like it, dispense with your sorry arse and come back to me in your 40 years time, when i'm probably dead <laugh>

Angry old man ^^^

3. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Personally I've never been Nelsons biggest fan so don't think I can be accused of being fickle when I say his time was up, I thought he was quite poor last season and that form continued in pre-season.
    He never did command his area very well, his distribution/kicking was poor, he was good at reaction saves but often seemed to lose the flight of a ball from distance, over the last year he has also started to fumble simple balls as well.
    It's always sad when a player reaches the end of his career but it happens, as for his treatment does anybody actually know how he is being treated ? it is possible Ade has spoken with him and they've come to a arrangement.

4. brb

brb CR250

Apologies certainly wouldn't suggest you are fickle. But I see the usual comments elsewhere, maybe I just like to give my obscure tuppence sometimes in support of the less favoured players. Either that or I like to cause an argument haha

Personally I think it's all peglegs fault because he knew I'd be all over this like a bad rash ;)

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  5. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Don't get me wrong, I don't consider Nels the best Keeper we've ever had. Even in the short 14 years I've been supporting the club there are other keepers I would have put ahead of Nelson. But for someone who's so public in his affections for this club, who celebrates every goal as if he's in the Rainham End with us, for the Head Coach to hint at him playing in the cup game to the media and then not even use him in the squad, for me that's extremely disrespectful and poor management.

Yeah he's probably the best keeper some of younger fans have seen which is probably why it hurts them more, but you can talk about as many fumbles he made as you like but he's certainly saved us a lot more points in his Gills career than he's lost us points.

brb likes this.
  6. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

........sure he's not perfect, but we all love him. If we hadn't gone digital I'd say it was all about 'parns,shillings and pence'

7. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

nelson has been top class for Gills. Not at his best last season but still was better than Holy. He now looks like played his last game for the Gills which is a shame as I still think he is the best keeper we have. Not been treated well though. Could cost Ady his job if the other keepers don't do well.

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  8. Lord Sondes Clock

Lord Sondes Clock Active Member

England's no 1 was at the game today, sitting with the fans 3 or 4 rows in front of me. In his civvies though, so didn't look like he had travelled as part of the squad.

brb likes this.
  9. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Spooky - you must have been sitting extremely close to me - I too saw Nelson a couple of rows in front - I hope you didn't take any pictures - I don't need them splashed on here.

brb likes this.
  10. Lord Sondes Clock

Lord Sondes Clock Active Member

Yes we must have been close - I was at the end of the back row, which of course wasn't actually the back row. Not sure what purpose that rear segregation served incidentally, but it gave the hi-viz something to do.

And don't worry, there are no photos.