1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Turkey vs Russia

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Jimbo ranger, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

All we need now is for Trump to become President and we'll be an ego away from WW3...

UTRs, rangercol and Didley Squat like this.
  2. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

And had the jet stayed out of Turkish airspace there would not be a problem

Jimbo ranger and Didley Squat like this.
  3. Sutfol

Sutfol Well-Known Member

Sure it will sort itself out I don't think anyone really wants an escalation

4. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

This doesn't look good!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  5. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Wouldn't mind an escalation on a manager!

6. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Should be fun if Russia and Turkey are in the same group in the Euros next summer...

7. Sutfol

Sutfol Well-Known Member

I know Russia seem to be a nightmare at the moment but world leaders really need to sit round a table and start pushing things towards a better place. At the moment everything seems to be heading to a point of no return and the leaders seem to be making no effort to improve things

8. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Turkey should have given the Russian bombers at least 10 warnings before shooting - be interesting to know whether these were given, and if so, why they were ignored

9. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

10 warnings? Is that accepted military protocol?

10. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

From what they showed on BBC news last night the area of Turkish airspace was very small almost like a peninsular jutting out into Syria, surely the Russian jets would have cleared the disputed area quickly given the speed they travel at........is it just that the Turkish pilots were trigger happy and wanted to be a bit macho, if so that's a bit scary......

I was under the impression that both Turkey and Russia were bombing isis strong holds in Syria...........

11. GoldhawkRoad

Yes, I believe that broadly it is protocol. This is from the Independent today:

"The Turkish army has reportedly released an audio recording of the moment its fighter pilots warned a Russian military jet before shooting it down over the Syrian border.

In the audio, played in Turkish media reports, a voice speaking in English can be heard issuing a warning to “change your heading south immediately”.

“This is Turkish air force speaking – en garde. You are approaching Turkish airspace,” it warns.

Turkey says this warning was repeated every 30 seconds for five minutes, but was ignored throughout by the Russian Su-24 bomber.

US military officials have supported Turkish claims that warnings were sent, and appeared to verify the recording issued on open channels in English.

But Russia has said that no warnings were received – and disputes Turkey’s claim that its airspace was violated."

12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Well, either the Turks or the Russians are lying aren't they? I don't have any evidence to decide which is, do you? Though the leadership of both countries is easily capable of lying without a second thought for propaganda purposes.

13. GoldhawkRoad

The Turks have put the audio out into the public domain, so the Russians will have to answer that. The Russians have been taking liberties with a number of countries air spaces, including our own, and relied on the fact that those countries would not be pedantic. But perhaps the Turks were looking for an excuse to hit back at the bombers that were killing their own kith and kin within Syria.

It's bloody frightening to think we could be drawn into a war with Russia through Nato, as a result of the Turks dispute with Russia over the Syrian rebels

14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that we should withdraw from NATO as well as the EU? Or try to renegotiate our membership so we only fight when we want to? ( sorry Goldie, I'm being contrarian today, feel free to ignore me).

15. GoldhawkRoad

:emoticon-0100-smile I'm sympathetic to your mood, Stan. I get those days too

As to Nato, I don't like the approach that we must support Nato members right or wrong. The Nato spokesman came out in support of Turkey yesterday, within hours of the downing of the plane. How about finding out the facts? Turkey may act rashly against Russia, knowing it has its big brothers behind it.

As to the EU, I'm content for Turkey to join, and the euro too, just so long as it's on the basis that it's taking our place...

rangercol likes this.
  16. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

The Russians are claiming that no radio messages were received, so I suppose a third explanation, however unlikely, is radio failure on the Russian jet (it does happen).

17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

They need to start talking to each other, pronto, or this could get out of hand. To be fair to the Turks they have been abundantly clear that anybody in their airspace without permission would get shot at from well before the Russians joined the fray. I think this was aimed at the Russian armed Assad Air Force. **** me it's complicated, and we've all taken our eye off Daesh.

18. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Indeed!!
    The Russians have been playing "chicken" in a lot of Countries' air spaces, including ours. **** knows what would happen if we shot one down!!

You're right though, all this is a distraction from our common enemy. Everything is so bloody complicated!

19. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Some idiot Tory on QT was suggesting that we must bomb Daesh in Syria because they are a threat to the safety of our streets. The opposite is true.

20. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Can you expand a bit further please Stroller. I'm a bit confused. Although I don't regard bombing anyone is the solution, especially when others are doing it for us???!!!
    Muchos gracias.

I fail to understand that an empowering and all encompassing God would ask that his followers do his dirty work him for when he should be fully capable of doing it himself. I find the whole situation a bit strange, but in fairness I'm probably being a bit too simplistic.

I don't get the Tory bit, as I probably dislike them more than you. But there's an increasing number of the Labour lot that share the same view. I try not to get involved too much in party politics as supporting one side over the other renders you rather entrenched in ones view over another. In my experience it's best to treat all politicians as cnuts until they prove you different.