1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Two Loans

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Mar 7, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

notdistant that is exactly the point. We AREN'T tying them up are we. The Herald headline on the sportspage was Argyle Stars will have to wait. I hope for our sake they actually will wait because they just might decide to go somewhere else where a bit of ambition is shown. We did this previusly and we are doing it again. We collapsed promotion wise last season and we are doing it again. Recognise any of this? You should do because it's becoming normal practice with Argyle and it's not smart is it. Same again next year anyone?

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

You are obviously party to facts we aren't Sensible. I certainly don't know which players have what terms in their contracts and unless you do, you'll have to trust the management.

It seems unlikely that Carey is so expensive that he can be afforded this year but not next doesn't it? There must be more to it than that.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm just quoting the Herald headline notdistant which didn't seem to be as convinced as you are. What facts are you party to that differs from the Herald then? Nobody is saying we don't want Carey but wanting and retaining are two different things. To retain people like him you need to show some committment and I'm sorry but from where I'm standing I can't see that much. If you can then by all means point it out. I will repeat what I've said before if I may. We were all guilty of being trusting of previous owners of Argyle and of taking an awful lot as gospel. Look what happened to us then. If I cannot show unflinching trust of the new one then I make no appology for it. The only promise I've seen so far that has been kept is the not to spend money on it. Funnily enough that was the easy one. All the others that were a tad more difficult have remained on the shelf.

4. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Brent does not want the club to go up is what your saying ? <doh>

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

No Joe I'm not saying he doesn't want it what I'm saying is he couldn't care less one way or the other if we do or don't. It's not much skin off his nose because the costs in league one are not fundamentally that different to league 2. Possibly slightly more at worst but with the debt gone which it should be then we would easily cover it from gate receipts. He is just is just as happy either way as long as he doesn't have to put his hand in his pocket for anything. He continues to crank up the clubs worth and his land acquired, the ground will be next you watch. When he has it all without having spent a bleddy thing then we will see his worth. He has twice failed to back any promotion push when it was very much on the cards which should tell supporters a lot.

6. notDistantGreen

That's a nonsense Sensible, serves your argument but a nonsense. A team in League 1 has the possibility of the Championship above it and the cushion of League 2 below if things go wrong. You're mixing with established names like Millwall , Coventry, Sheffield United Charlton and Bolton.

If that doesn't increase the multiplier in the value of Brent's investment, then I'm a Dutchman.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The club is worth diddly squat notdistant. We are worth no more in league one than in league two. The land around it and they play on however..........

You can call it a nonsense all you want but I have still to see anything from Brent that supports the football bit. Seen loads of other things from him that supports his bank balance. If you think Brent has given backing to the team then I'd love to know where it is. We have twice now blown promotion and twice now Brent has failed to spend anything to support the push. I do not accept that the Manager might not have asked for any because Managers always want a few more quid. Watch this space, Brent will buy the ground next taking up his option. He will then own personally ALL of Argyle's assets.

8. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I don't think JB is allowed to buy the ground. Fairly sure that the option is for the club to buy it back. It may have escaped your notice but JB has significantly reduced his holding in the club with Tony Wrathall and the new director holding the rest. He therefore cannot personally own ALL of Argyle's assets. There is absolutely no evidence to support your assertion that he hasn't backed the manager-we simply do not know, and I doubt we will until one or both of them leave the club at some point in the future. It didn't take long for the Brent bashing to start did it-if we want to blame someone for what in reality has been a decent season, perhaps we should look at the players, coaches and or tactics first.

9. notDistantGreen

Be careful Lyndhurst or you'll send Sensible off on another false trail. I know what you mean but Brent has reduced his PERCENTAGE holding in the club by bringing in new shareholders: he hasn't withdrawn any money as far as we know. As far as we know, the new money has gone into the club, not Brent's pocket.

I'm glad that Sensible has finally seen that PAFC along with the majority of football clubs are worthless: indeed they are worse than worthless as they need regular injections of cash just to keep going. That means that no sane individual would invest in one unless either he had a valid ulterior motive (e.g. property development, which I refuse to accept is not usually a Good Thing) or an invalid ulterior motive (e.g. a desire for self aggrandisement). The latter are to be avoided like the plague - Newcastle United take note.

As far as I'm concerned, running a club with a balanced budget over a short number of years if not every individual year is an essential objective in itself. It practically eliminates the chance of fans like us losing their beloved club through bankruptcy and football would be a lot better off if everyone did it - Oxford United take note.

10. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Brent bashing is why some people live and breath......pasoti has it's fair share of those that feel James Brent is the saviour of the world....well our corner of it maybe.....they come down hard on those that try to rock the boat.....that is the reason why the ATD website came into existence.....those who had been thrown out of pasoti formed their own web supporters group and spend many an hour chasing the likes of those that run pasoti.....plus Chris Webb and of course James Brent who refuses to spend more money than he thinks is wise.

I don't know where that leaves Derek Adams.....did he want to revitalize his squad in January and found it financially difficult to do.....I doubt that he was completely happy during that window.....having had too many important injuries to contend with plus the lack of form that it helped to bring about....plus the Boateng saga which showed how depending on loanees can be a problem that you have no control over.......ending up with too many to have in his match day squad to stay within the FL's rules.

Whatever happens between now and next season I'm sure that Adams (if here still) will want to keep his best players and add to his squad further quality full time members before going into the loan market....also he came unstuck with his small 'quality' squad because of unfortunate injuries to his key players....and still has Reid in doubt plus Brunt out for the rest of this year possibly.

11. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

You are of course correct in that he hasn't reduced the amount of cash he has invested/risked in the club. I was just trying to point out the fatal flaw in Sensible's argument. If JB's sole intent is to own all the assets of the club and then sell them at a profit then I would think the last thing he would do is create more shares that would dilute his position of strength (albeit he still is very much the majority shareholder). Unless of course they are all in it together in some sort of transatlantic conspiracy......

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I haven't suddenly become a Brent basher as you all very well know. I have been consistant throughout with this and still maintain that my interpretation is as valid as your's. You know no more than I do for sure so you are simply basing your assertions on a belief rather than any facts. Unlike some I gave up touching my forelock to the fine people long ago. I discount the opinions on ATD because there is no way you could say anything positive on there and live to tell the tale. They simply rubbish everything for the sake of it. Pasoti is somewhat the opposite and it isn't right if you say anything about the Master. That's because the owner of pasoti thinks he is a board member and important in Brent's world. He isn't of course but he is living his dream. But, the rumblings of discontent are there and no everyone supports the Brent method. There is a growing belief he isn't in this for Argyle's benefit and never was. Trust is slipping away. Thing is I don't want to be right about him because if I am somewhere down the line Argyle will suffer badly. That doesn't mean I'm going to close my eyes and just hope.

13. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

I thought he was a postman <badger>, by the seems of it Webb could not direct traffic.. Well lets just get promoted via the playoffs.. that is the main objective for us all to want.. Place your bets now! Argyle to win the prem in the next 10 years .. what odds? <doh>

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The owner of pasoti is Ian Newell and not Chris Webb Joe. Apparently they manned the barracades during the war period and have made themselves useful to the new Lord High Green. Whilst denied by them it does seem a reward for keeping the surfs in check where they are given the keys to the Directors Box. I'd give you about 6000000000000000000000000 to 1 if I was a bookie and then be embarrassed to take your cash.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

You just wait till we get our 60 thousand seater stadium...with four new grandstands......we will be zooming up those leagues to be the Champions League winners before I pop my clogs....:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0170-ninja:emoticon-0168-drink:emoticon-0167-beer:.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I was going to say don't hold your breath but then I noticed the "pop my clogs" bit and thought if you do that then you aint gonna see nothin. Somehow zooming and Argyle aren't seen in the same sentence ever.

17. notDistantGreen

I knew you knew Lyndhurst..... but Brent Bashers will latch on to anything.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

And Brent lovers will spread em whenever he glances in their direction. Can I go on record as saying I'm not just bashing Brent. I am saying as I personally see it. Others are entitled to an opinion as long as the same courtesy is extended back. You think you're right and I hope you are in reality. The alternative isn't a pleasant thought. But at the moment I don't agree.

19. notDistantGreen

On the one extreme, you get owners who on the face of it, value football but are willing to risk everything by overspending to achieve success. Oxford United look like a current case in point but there have been a lot of them.

On the other, you get asset strippers who have no interest in football or the community at all and are cynically interested in whatever value lies beneath. I can't give an example that extreme although I suppose in a way, the people that uprooted the old Wimbledon to Milton Keynes could be cited. Not only did they uproot the club but got a new stadium that's part of a huge retail park close to the A5 with a vast food supermarket and an Ikea, they also presumably unlocked significant property value in leafy SW19.

In between there's a spectrum and somewhere there must be a sweet spot.

Plymouth doesn't have the property opportunities available in Brighton, North London or Wimbledon/Milton Keynes. It doesn't have a ready made Olympic or Commonwealth Games stadium and any new site that could be found would take 5 to 10 years to get planned and built in the face or a local authority that seems violently opposed to out-of-town development. It doesn't have Amex's European Service Centre within its boundaries or anything like it.

On that basis, Brent seems a reasonable fit to me. He's certainly likely to be all we've got or at least he was when we were on the brink of extinction. If the club's more saleable now, that is because Brent has stabilised it.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The Brent way could take us 5/10 years to get out of this league.....we may have to somehow think out side the box to kick start this club into being successful again.

Don't I just hate Hull for passing on the title of biggest Club/City who have never been in the top flight....think of all the smaller places that have made it......Carlisle, Tranmere, Bournemouth etc, etc, etc, there are many more but I can't think of them without looking them up at present.