1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread U23 games 2016-17

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by John Ex Aberdeen now E.R., Nov 8, 2016.

1. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

3 in a bed!

Lovely, Super, Smashing, Great!

2. HFFP

HFFP Well-Known Member

4-1FT Olley with the last.

3. Top_Tiger

Top_Tiger Well-Known Member

I have U23s twitter feed just the amount of times that it says 'Mannion makes a great save' must been he's gonna be class.

4. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Just back from the game, frozen by bollocks off. Difficult night to play, very strong, cold wind down the ground and bumpy pitch, which Derby had in their favour in the first half. Because of this they had the better possession as well as attempts on goal. Mannion had an excellent game saving several good shots on target. However City did grow into the game more as the half progress and it was from some city pressure that Derby countered and a good ball through for Jakobsen to run onto and put it past the advancing Mannion. 1-0 Derby. City did start to press as the half was coming to a close, but a good run down the right by Annan, a high cross to the back post where Bowen did brilliantly to take it on his chest with 2 defenders around him and as the ball dropped slotted it passed the keeper. 1-1 which stayed that was until half time.

2nd half started and soon City with the wind behind them now went 2-1 up. Another cross from the right which Bowen controlled just outside the box and rifled a shot into the bottom corner. City soon went 3-1 up with Bowen getting his Hatrick, he picked the ball up midway in the Derby half and from the left side of the box buried the ball from 20 yds into the bottom corner 3-1 City. With about 5 minutes to go Olley got the 4th with a similar goal to Bowens 3rd drilling the ball home for 20 yds. 4-1.

My MOTM was Mannion even though Bowen was outstanding, kept City in the game in both halves with excellent saves. Olley/Annan played well as did Batty. Luer was on for the first 60 minutes, but looked rusty after being out for a long time and was replaced at 60 minutes by Ter Horst.

I think that puts City back on top of the Group..

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  5. HFFP

HFFP Well-Known Member

This puts us in 1st place in our group of the cup John.

6. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report John, it's always good to hear how the young 'uns are doing <ok>

Surely Bowen must be in Marco's thoughts for a place on the bench, he has to be a more effective option than Diomande who seems to have forgotten how to score, and maybe Marshall should be looking over his shoulder at Will Mannion

CANADATIGER and Howden Tigress like this.
  7. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

Bowen first touch is better than Dio's I would say, and Marco does mention him when talking about the wingers he has he obviously rates him. Tonight performance will do nothing to change that.

Mannion is a great prospect, a cool customer, commands his area well and is very good on crosses and well as shot stopping.

8. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

Exactly, when I said the league I meant the group. Your explanation better than mine.

9. PattyNchips2

PattyNchips2 Well-Known Member

so is Mannion better than Marshall?
    does he deserve to be our number 2?
    and Bowen? does he deserve to be on the bench, at least?

10. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

The HDM ran a poll this morning, on whether Bowen should be in the first team, 70% said yes.

11. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

I was at the game last night (I play on the 3G pitch on a Monday there) and watched, Bowen was magnificent. I thought ter Horst had gone on loan to York? Did they cancel that? He came on last night for Greg Luer.

12. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

Ter Horst played in the last game also, then I thought maybe York were allowing him to play to get game time, but seeing him again maybe it was cancelled.

Were you in the bar afterwards, as I spend the 2nd half in there looking at the game though the window as it was bloody cold?

13. Steven Toast

Yeah, I was for a bit, I saw you. You did look pretty nithered! The sausage sarnies are decent there, though.

14. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

Well, I stood behind the goal City were attacking in the first half just to keep out of the wind, and was still nithered, so I thought bugger it I will stay in the warm for the 2nd half.

15. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

Tigers Recall ter Horst
    Posted: Fri 03 Feb 2017
    Author: Niall Cope
    image: http://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/cms_images/player/johan-ter-horst-3-4x3528-3554607_613x460.jpg

please log in to view this image

Johan ter Horst

Image by: Ian Parker
    Striker returns to Hull City...
    JOHAN ter Horst has today been recalled by parent club Hull City due to personal reasons.

The 21-year-old had joined the Minstermen in January on a loan deal until the end of the season

Read more at http://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co....an-ter-horst-3554642.aspx#kg6Tr5EGtyW8bTp6.99

16. Steven Toast

Fair shout. The dingles with the Derby flag are friends of ours. They're the kind of "our club is bigger than yours because we have a bigger attendance" fans.

17. Top_Tiger

Top_Tiger Well-Known Member

Bowen really does have something. I hope he doesn't have to go down the leagues to find it and come back again. Lovely first touch and balance.

18. Steven Toast

For anybody who is interested, City U23s play tomorrow at the City ground against Forest U23s. It's free to get in, kicks off at 1pm.

19. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Presumably, Bowen and Olley are away with the first team...

20. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

McKenzie usually plays unless he is injured or also in Portugal, also Luer must be in Portugal as well unless he is injured again.