1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Uber

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Sep 30, 2015.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

No, not the rarely seen lesser spotted Uber Hoop, but the car service. I know we have at least one chauffeur/cabbie on here, was wondering what the feeling was about it and if anyone had used it. Was reading today that there are proposals for yet more regulations which would make their business model virtually untenable over here. But then I hear black cab drivers moaning about their licences/regulations all the time, can't believe they would want more, even to get rid of some competition.

I've never used it in the UK, and it doesn't exist where I live. Banned in France I think. But in the US I use it all the time - about 50-60% of the price of regular cabs, vehicles are much cleaner and tidier usually, the people who drive them do it part time - I've had lifts from real estate agents, car mechanics, even an artist - and the app is a work of genius - you know the make, and licence number of the car coming to pick you up, the driver's name, exactly where it is and how long it will take to get to you, and they are often much easier to get than regular cabs. And its cashless and you don't need to get your credit card out of your wallet.

I can understand black cab and well regulated mini cab drivers/firms being pissed off about it, but then again, this seems like progress to me. I would have loved to have read Brix's thoughts on this.

GoldhawkRoad and Uber_Hoop like this.
  2. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

I was wondering how the payment end of things worked.

Don’t pay in cash. All fare payments are handled automatically by the Uber service and your credit card on file. If using the TAXI service, you can select the amount to be tipped through your Uber Payment Settings - the default is 20%. You do not need to tip the other Uber services, including UberX, but tips are appreciated. Note there is no tip included in your payment for any service other than Uber TAXI.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Uber

3. Jimbo ranger

Jimbo ranger Active Member

They are disgusting and will never use !!!

Long live the black cabby

4. aqualung

aqualung Well-Known Member

Was talking to my lad about this last night. He and his gf live in central Birmingham and they use Uber all the time and swear by it. It sounds a great service, convenient and cheap too. No money physically changes hands as it's all done by paypal. All this technology blows the mind a bit.
    Just remembered you've chosen not to see this graham. oh well.

5. aqualung

You must be a cabbie then!
    Uber sounds a great service imo.

6. Jimbo ranger

Do you know what price surging is ? Do you know anything about the sweaty little man thats driving ? Do you know a large percentage of them come down from up north sleep in the cars take all the work for cheap then piss off up north and pay **** all rent in there crappy houses in Bradford ect....

I could go on ,

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Why? Ordinary blokes and ladies trying to make a living. If they even out the competition what's the problem?

8. Jimbo ranger

Black cabs take card

Black cabs can be ordered and paid for using an app also

Black cabs are licenced

Black cabs know London

Black cabs are crb checked

Black cabs do the knowledge for years to understand London and all its books and crannys ,,,

Shall I go on ?

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  9. Jimbo ranger

95% are from overseas undercutting back cabs if your happy with that crack on , let me guess you vote labour and would live Jeremy Corbin to sit on your face singing the Russian national anthem ?!

10. aqualung

...and Uber is cheaper. So what about the above, it's only a means of getting from A to B, that's all.

11. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I can make exceptions, sir.
    Thanks for that, your position is clear. I would think it's more Corbynesque to argue for a closed shop like you seem to be. Perhaps we should nationalise cabs, to really protect them. Compared to you I probably seem left wing (it's much more complicated than that Jimbo) but I'm actually arguing that competition improves the service. I've just looked at the Hailo app, seems very similar to Uber, I'll test them out. They've responded to competition. That's evolution. Good.

aqualung likes this.
  12. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wow.......jimbo you seem to have some issues based on these posts.......

I take it the "95%" you quote is based on your in depth study of the subject or is it just a random percentage based on guess work?

sb_73 likes this.
  13. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

14. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Uber is a good idea but ought to be subject to the same regulation, licensing and fees as regulated cabs and minicabs. Level playing field otherwise Uber has an unfair advantage.
    You might argue that all profit is based on some advantage or other but the basic rules and fees ought to be level imo.

qpr1976, QPR999 and GoldhawkRoad like this.
  15. factamondo

factamondo Well-Known Member

Never met a poor black cabbi yet....can anyone tell me why they all wear kharki shorts ,checked gingham style shirts n deck shoes/loafers?

16. aqualung

...some are Caucasian as well!

17. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I think I might change my name in protest and would welcome suggestions. So far I've shortlisted:

**** Features
    Twatface
    Knobhead
    Swords
    Anus Breath
    Bell End

18. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Welcome back **** Features Hoop, do you require regulation?

19. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

You can't stoop as low as calling yourself Swords, it can't be that bad<laugh>

Only messing Swords<cool>

kiwiqpr likes this.
  20. TWGWTDT

TWGWTDT Well-Known Member

Jimbo's right all these fuzzy muzzies who can't drive proper in their foreign cars

The other day I got a cab from Montpellier ... Bloody couldn't believe it made me pay in Euros And couldn't understand a word the bloke said on the journey back to Sutton

What's more when I worked out the fare it was £3,400 just to check if I had left my rowenta iron on

Bastard wouldn't let me my Sleaford Mods CD ... Bloody Johnny Haliday for 16 hours and I had to pay his fare through the tunnel which I split with an immigrant from Serbia or Sudan or what S something ... Ford Seirra ?

Black cabs rule and are very green
    Better than the ones that ripped off the adidas sign but added a Lea

I agree with Jimbo we should all be able to **** pig heads when we see fit