1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Up For The Cup

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Away to Mansfield in the FA Cup......not to exciting is it.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Honestly Plym I'm really not bothered about cups as we have no real record in any of them. Promotion is key. If we go out in the usual first round again I won't be that upset. You are right though........exciting or what.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

A nice home draw against a Poundstretcher Cheltenham & Gloucester League Div 3 West team would have been ideal.

I'm like Sensible, only the league matters so can we please leave Graham Carey at home for this one?

4. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Leave them all at home and take the kids on a day trip.. League is priority.. :emoticon-0139-bow:

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Sat here supping a glass of plonk and looking at the FA cup replay results tonight. Taunton get through into thee first round proper and Torquay go out to Woking. Thinking we should ignore Argyle in this one unless they get to the final of course, and adopt another side so what about Taunton. Close enough without being a rival in anything. Think I might nail my colours and name to their mast.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Years back in the Isthmian League....when it was seen as one of the top amateur leagues....Bromley used to be reasonably successful and Woking not so .......Woking beating Torquay is a sign of the times for Torquay...struggling and floundering around......last year, the weekend I came down to Plymouth for the Bristol Rovers game.....I remember picking up one of the West Country Sunday papers to see that Bromley had been at Torquay the day before and put SEVEN past them....it hit home how Torquay seemed to be going only one way and that was down hill fast....nothing seems to have changed this season.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

They are skint Plym is the problem without any backing at that. I hate the fact one of the Devon sides has gone out of the league but the struggle for financial backing seems ever there for pretty much all of us all of the time. That and a lack of big gates due to lack of success historically. We are only a big fish in this current small pond but that would change dramatically again if we went upwards. It is quite hard to see any of them ever getting into the top league no matter how much we pray for it and want it. If you combined the revenue for all three and put your eggs in one basket it still wouldn't amount to a pot to piss in.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I would think that all three Devon clubs between them couldn't pay the weekly or even the daily wage of a Ronaldo...Bale or Messi....come to think of it not even the wage of a failed England Prima Donna...........but that's down to a certain Paper magnet owner and damn Sky isn't it......:headbang:.

9. notDistantGreen

I don't agree that it's impossible to get to the PL and stay there for a period, just very, very difficult. I'd cite Stoke (at present) and Southampton as examples. Neither are mega-clubs but are having good runs in the PL.

The funds available as you go up the leagues rise more steeply now than previously. Did I not see a Championship club buying a £7m player recently? The key is to spend those funds within a tight budget that doesn't risk the club's future. To do that, you need a manager who can pick up good players you've never heard of. Can we think of a combination of club owner and manager like that?

Somehow, and without going bonkers, you need to be able to upgrade your stadium to PL standards and to accommodate bigger crowds.

I'm not suggesting we'll be there any time soon or ever - but it's not impossible.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Who would have thought 10 years ago that Bournemouth would be in their second Premiership season this year.....the longer you stay there the more finance accumulates and if you buy wisely without breaking the bank all the better.....Mr Howe is pure gold dust and I hope he never gets drawn into taking the England job.....a job from hell.

I was down Charlton the last day of the season when they won 3-0 and where Championship League winners.....2-0 up in 12 minutes and they then turned off the afterburners and coasted along....such an organized passing team....made Charlton faces as red as their shirts...such a gulf between the sides....Howe is now learning how to succeed with the big boys and hanging in their quite well....I hope he doesn't get coaxed away to another club...it doesn't generally work out.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Of course it's not impossible notdistant. When you play in leagues then anything is even if it is a fluke and one off. It's more a case of unlikely. The clubs in the Championship now are mostly ex premiership either historically or recently. Their fanbase and therefore income potential is greater by far than we could manage. The clubs who pay mega bucks for players have far richer benefactors or parachute money still coming in. None of the Devon clubs have anyone behind them with money to spend and the area does not attract them either. Given our supposed connection to America you might think one of them might give it a whirl but it doesn't look like happening anytime soon does it. Maintaining a position in the Championship seems a much more realistic goal if we are honest. Mind you even league one and two are harder to win for the average side now. Teams above bring in foreign players at will which releases better British players who have to go somewhere. Downwards appears to be the answer so the class of player in the lower echalons gets better. They are generally cheaper by that time and more than enough to go around. It's better entertainment for the people watching but harder for your club to rise. Too much money has loads of knock on effects.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Maybe the Mayflower 400 celebrations might attract some dollars over here if it is advertised over there properly....there might be some yanks coming over to avoid the horror of Clinton or a Trump victory.

13. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

If the yanks come here they will have the horror called BREXIT!!

14. notDistantGreen

15. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

Getting back on topic.

Whilst I do agree that the league is a priority, the FA Cup has a good prize structure and if we could get through a couple of rounds we could pocket a nice £45,000 in prize money. Not to be sniffed at.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't really care one way or the other with the competition. If Argyle can win a few and pocket some cash to be used on promotion type stuff then that's ok but as long as nothing is jeopardised along the way. I would love a cup run and promotion as the money for both would be great for league one purposes. I just can't get excited yet and Argyle have hardly got the best cup pedigre in the league have they.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

FA CUP ROUND TWO.....Home to .....Alfreton or Newport C

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Newport should be the favorites with home advantage in next Tuesday's replay.

But Alfreton Town from tier six play in the National League North....not having a very good season league wise at present....one interesting fact is that since 2007 their manager has been Nicky Law who played for Argyle during 1987/88 period.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Bad omen for Saturdays Newport Cup game....U18's lost 2-1 to Newport U18's at Tavistock yesterday.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Christ stop being so bleddy gloomy Plym. We aren't that badly off injury wise where we are going to have to play any of them on Saturday. Whilst I don't think Newport will be a push over I also don't think they are nailed on to turn us over either. We may lose it's true but not because of something our U18's did.