1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

UWE planning on building stadium!

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Seen this from Vital Gas, who are very reliable with breaking news... http://www.bristolrovers.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=407420

The article from Vital reads....

Vital Gas understand that UWE have spoken to South Gloucestershire Council about building their own Stadium on their land.

Its understood that UWE have spoken about downsizing the plans to make it a 15,000 stadium instead of the 21,700 that Rovers hoped to build, but they will have scope to expand the stadium at a later date.

Its not clear if UWE have spoken to Rovers yet, but its a possibility that Rovers will be asked to become tenants if the Council approve.

Very interesting! Is this plan B? All guess work here but if UWE build the stadium on a smaller scale for which they can afford - 15k capacity and we become tenants, that could be just a temporary measure while trying to sell the Mem for around 15-20million and then buy UWE stadium back off UWE. That way we get our stadium as planned, UWE still get a stadium as planned and everyone is happy. 15k capacity is more than enough to start with plus there will be the option to increase! Sounds good but im just guessing details based on Vitals article.

2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Why would we want to pay rent to share a stadium when we own our own, I know it's not Wembley but it's ours

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

There is that but as Higgs said, we cant keep going at the Mem. We are losing too much money and really its unfit for purpose. Yes it will do for us but if we want to attempt to progress then UWE is our best bet. I dont feel happy about being a tenant but if its only until we buy it from UWE once we sell the Mem then so be it. But it must be a real watertight contract though!!!!!

4. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good long term plan. UWE have the resources and cash flow. And the partnership with Rovers has all sorts of useful spinoffs. It's no brainer really. Good for UWE. And we'll get our share of a stadium.

5. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

The only thing that worries me about these latest stories/rumours is that if it is going to be a UWE instigated development then I believe the final build is going to appear a little different than what we have all been looking at up until now.

I should imagine it would be a stadium for all number of sporting activities with athletics being a given ! This would obviously mean watching our football across a strip of rubberised tarmacadam, and from some distance, greater if your desired standing / seating position is behind one of the goals. { And older Tote / Muller Road Enders will tell you what that is all about} And talking of our spiritual home, this is what could happen all over again with this plan, we sell up the Mem, pay off all concerned and end up paying rent for playing at a glorified White City which we wouldn't own........Maybe a good 'Out' for Higgs though.

A bit of a pessimistic view I admit, but I just can't help feeling that there is a hint of desperation creeping in now following recent events.

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

UWE stadium was going to be for multi use anyway. I thought there was going to be a running track etc as the idea was for UWE to use the stadium for what they wanted while we were not using it.

7. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Multi Use would be good as it would imply additional revenues but I cannot remember looking at the schematics and seeing an athletics track around the outside of the playing surface unless it was green with ninety degree bends.

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

When the stadium plans 1st came out, I was either told or read somewhere (was along time ago mind) that the pitch would be a specific type of pitch that can have all types of sports on it without it getting ruined like normal grass. It can also be easily removed and put back down again as if it was a jigsaw puzzle and the running track would be under it. Now I could have dreamed it (weird dream mind) but I swear I was either told this or read this somewhere. I could be wrong though. The original plan was for Bristol rugby to move with us so the pitch was not going to be normal grass.