1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread V Newport in the Sell out Cup

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Aug 29, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It will be a match day tomorrow even if it isn't a game I'd want to support. I would not go to this game if you gave me a ticket and a halftime pint and pasty. It may not be very partisan but I am hoping the attendance is the lowest ever on record in all of the games tomorrow.

As you may guess I won't be there so is anyone on here actually going?

2. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Oh yes, I am going as is number 2 son. It is a meaningless match in a competition that is almost dead, but then again I have been to many meaningless matches over the years (pre season friendlies etc) so this one doesn't make any difference. Dont really agree with the U23 teams entering the competition, but can't get too worked up about it either-don't buy the 'thin end of the wedge' argument leading to U23 teams entering the EFL.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The FL are having a go at re-jigging this competition....so good on them for trying.....not sure if this is the right way......I feel that it should be tried with Div 1...Div 2 & maybe the top National League as well.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Be fair, it's cheap...... only £1 for kids.

5. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Sensible go along and take the grand children its cheaper than the cinema? :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl:

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

No. Never. You can't make me.......<steam>

For a cynical matelot you are a very trusting soul lyndhurst. Or maybe you were never cynical in the RN either.

7. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

No I've never really been that cynical; straight talking and bolshy maybe but always glass half full.

So glad I went as it was a cracking game of football which we dominated from start to finish, Slew and Bully were outstanding especially in the second half. The only surprise was that Newport scored a goal -can't remember another shot on target. Not sure what the official stats are but we must have had 70% possession and 20 odd shots on target. The players seemed to enjoy it as well and were appreciative of the decent crowd that turned up.

Been reading PASOTI a bit recently (I know I shouldn't), and was getting really hacked off by people telling what I should (or shouldnt) do on a Tuesday evening-bottom line is that those that 'boycotted' it (for reasons still unclear) missed a very pleasant evening watching the greens win comfortably.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I only read your first sentence and the last paragraph lyndhurst as I'm boycotting the rest (honest I did)

I would not dream of telling anyone to go or not go it's entirely up to them. I made my mind up on the grounds that I do not agree with the inclusion of B teams from above into this league one and two competition. I feel that the football league is selling itself like a whore to the premiership once again and they can't leave anything alone. All they have to do is dangle a few quid under the noses of the lesser chairmen and they spread em in a flash. Pity they couldn't let a bit of their great wads of cash filter down without wanting something. I hope that this competition is a flop financially for all of them. I hope two B teams are the finalists at Wembley in the end. I think my reasoning is what most appear to agree with who object.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Shame the BBC didn't take it seriously.....they didn't do a full stats job last night....only told you the scorer and how many shots on or off target.

Who was in the line up was a mystery.....had to depend on pasoti for any other info for the team and what was happening.....I don't know if Sky covered the game or not because I try not to get involved with the devil and it's destruction of grass routes football.

It sounds like a decent game was watched by a third of the usual crowd size....pity really....because they seem to get value for money and entertainment....with both sides trying to play football.....being an exile can be frustrating at times.

10. notDistantGreen

There was a lot of bullying on Twitter towards those that had chosen to attend. The emphasis should be on "chosen": everyone has a right to an opinion and it's not for some self-appointed group to decide what others should do.

If a family of 4 who can't afford to attend league games for approaching £60 took the kids last night for less than £20, better that than they end up going out and buying a Man Utd or Chelsea shirt.

It's sad but very, very true that a boycott against the Premier League is like a midge attacking a rhino and only harms our own lower league clubs.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I see it as boycotting the Board of PAFC who voted for this. If they want to prostitute themselves to the big boys then that's their funeral. I realise that trying to combat the premiership as a supporter of a league 2 club is as you describe. I don't blame anyone who went and the finances do make sense if you can't go normally. I chose to make my own stand.

12. notDistantGreen

Every one is entitled to choose whether to go or not to go.

Just as the boycott is futile, so would voting against have been.

If we do process in the competition, attendances will rise and principles will be forgotten.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Not by me they won't.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

If they reach Wembley .....I'll force myself to go.....can't be as bad as last time.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Newport County I feel are not the worst team in this division.....but where out played by a much changed Argyle.....so I hope that suggests that we have a far stronger squad than last year......it was the lack of depth that stopped us from automatic promotion last season without a doubt.

Also Derek Adams has stayed clear from to many loanees.......Tanner is a proven asset and he has only one other a striker whose name escapes me at the moment from Bristol C.....who City feel is one for the future......so we aren't so dependent on the loan market which really let us down at a crucial time last season.

16. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Well it makes sense for people to go if its cheap and im sure if we got to the latter stages the crowds would improve a lot.

I dont go to any of the cup games League or Paint pot.

The FA cup yes, the rest of it is not worth it for me.. but i like to see us progress no matter what comp.. also extra cash coming into the club the longer we stay in these comps..