1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Cambridge

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 30, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I pondered on whether it was worthwhile bothering to start a match day thread this time. We were up there, we blew it, we got back up there again and blew it once more. I suppose there is still a very big long shot that we could be up there again but have to say no matter what the outcome of this game is I doubt it will be for a third time.

I don't go along with a lot of the posts that talk about teams having nothing to play for. This says that they aren't bothered one way or another if they turn up or not. I don't believe any club would be in couldn't care less mode and there is a lot of playing for a contract if nothing else. Tell Dagenham they had nothing to play for last weekend. Cambridge on the other hand are a bit like us now. They have an outside chance of a playoff place.

There are fans posting on boards who think their own clubs particular chances of promotion are cast iron and nothing could possibly go wrong for them. Tomorrow might be interesting for a few of them, I see much weeping and wailing still to come.

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Only two more times plus playoffs to get up early to listen to Argyle.
    Still lots of football left with early coffee's for me.
    Do you have any hair left Sensible..

3. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Prior to the D&G match I had every intention of getting tickets for today but didn't bother. I think that our chances of auto promotion are now so slim, I might not even listen to the match-it's a nice sunny morning so might have a walk down to the Barbican to look at the yachts and a spot of lunch. However, all the teams chasing the autos have difficult away games so am sure there will be at least one 'surprise' result. At least come 5 pm the picture will be much clearer but sadly I think even two wins wont be enough for Argyle.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

They aren't yachts Lyndhurst, I saw one of the Sodebo boat moored down there last Sunday and it's the size of a small airliner.

A month or 6 weeks ago, I wrote this match off as an easy win, compared to the fixtures against Portsmouth and Orient anyway. Since then, Cambridge have rocketed up the league and we play them at a bad time after they've had a 6 match unbeaten run. If anything, they have a more achievable prize to play for than we do and I don't fancy our chances of a win or indeed anything at all.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

According to two of my grandaughters I have never even had hair BC. Bleddy kids.....

So, there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm around for this one then and everyone has all but written us off except Joe who still thinks we will make it. To be fair, having read notdistant's summary of this match and chances to come, this is the sort of game Argyle wins. It's the one that comes next they don't as with the last one. It's never going to be easy being an Argyle supporter is it. In my next life I'm going to go with the rest of the plastics and just support the team at the top of the pile.

6. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Have faith it's not beyond as, when it's not possible I will give up.. Miracles happen:emoticon-0102-bigsm

7. notDistantGreen

McHugh in the side but no sign of Reid. Matt up front on his own or alongside Jervis?

Plymouth

• 23McCormick
    • 2Mellor
    • 5Nelson
    • 6Hartley
    • 3Sawyer
    • 4McHugh
    • 14Jervis
    • 20Boateng
    • 32Houghton
    • 10Carey
    • 19Matt
    Substitutes
    • 11Wylde
    • 15Harvey
    • 16Purrington
    • 24Rooney
    • 27Tanner
    • 28Forster
    • 31Dorel

8. notDistantGreen

Poor first 30 mins from Argyle with McHugh playing as a 3rd centre back.

Worse start from the referee, aided by wingeing Cambridge players, both being shredded by Sparksie. McHugh on a knife edge having already been booked.

Oxford and Bristol Rovers both already leading...

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The irony is that there are 4 teams so far who have scored in league 2. 3 of the 4 are above Argyle. Hows that bet looking Joe?? Not the best time to get a dickhead Ref is it.

10. notDistantGreen

You'd be hard pressed NOT to get a dickhead ref these days....

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Very true notdistant.

It's all very exciting this afternoon isn't it. At half time there are Seven 0 - 0 draws out of the 12 games and only one of them has 2 goals in it.

12. notDistantGreen

Is exciting the right word....?

13. notDistantGreen

And now Forster replaces McHugh presumably due to an injury... bad news - my candidate for Player of the Season.

14. notDistantGreen

Wylde and Tanner on for Jervis and Hartley so 4 at the back not 5. No subs left with 20 or ,25 to play.

15. notDistantGreen

Oh and Matt scores....

16. notDistantGreen

And our season in a nutshell or at least the 2ND half of it...

17. notDistantGreen

Hiram Boateng, who we prayed be returned to us, misses 2 sitters in the last 60 seconds.

18. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Slipped to 6th....which means at the moment that we would have to play the second leg away at Portsmouth.....which might be for the best.

19. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Correct decision made. 4 hours of Beer, Pimms and seafood with Mrs Lyndhurst sitting in the sun(mostly) listening to live Blues and Jazz- barely checked my phone for the score! Total respect to the skippers who are going to pilot those 'yachts' for the 3000 miles from Guzz to New York. Looking forward to the playoffs against Pompey and another day out in London!

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I absolutely don't think it will be at Wembley. I did agonise over starting this thread as stated. I was right to and perhaps I shouldn't have bothered. Last 10 minutes yet again. How many more times.