1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Cambridge

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Sep 9, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hello I'm back in time for kick off. Two University towns. How even can things get..........

I haven't seen or read anything Argyle for a week now having been basking in the sunshine in the garden of England. (looking at the population up there it could do with a bit of gardening I reckon). The first thing I note is that it's likely to rain tomorrow. Again. and Again. What is it with bleddy Saturdays lately? Anyway enough rambling I think we can win this one again. 5 league in a row would cause a nose bleed I think.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Dry now and dry this afternoon so can't be worse than last week.

It's a fundamental of probability that the next outcome is in no way affected by previous outcomes: 5 heads from 5 tosses is just as likely as any other outcome and 1,2,3,4,5,6 winning the lottery is the same as any other combination. Five on the trot would be a great run but Cambridge at home, who're plumb bottom and have only taken a single point from 3 away games so far, would be an odd game to break the sequence!

Exeter away next week should (should) be tougher whatever the relative league positions....

3. notDistantGreen

Sunburn a significant risk here today.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Phew....only 2-1 in the end.....promised to be an easy one checking it on the BBC website.....but it looks as if Cambridge made it tense near the end.

Waiting to hear from those who had the chance to go....sensible will be in the Pub with his mates by now.......and I think Lindy said he had family commitments today......so we'll have to wait....unless notDistant went of course.

BUT....at the end of the day we're TOP OF THE LEAGUE.....who would have bet on that after losing our first two games.

5. notDistantGreen

I did go.

Argyle far superior to a surprisingly respectable Cambridge side but occasional wayward passing gave the opposition hope.

McCormick continues to look unsteady at corners but made a couple of good stops.

Garita is a real centre forward but missed an easy header early in the first half. Slew roasted his full back in the September sun.

Should never have been in doubt at the end but we were the better side. Further improvement is needed if we're to stay at the top.

My MoM was Cox. Calm, collected and a classy passer.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Should we read Fox for Cox......adjacent buttons...easily done.

7. notDistantGreen

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I thought Cambridge were a half decent side for one at the bottom. They pass and move quite well at times albeit with not much end product. However, Luke did have to make a few decent saves and would almost be MOM for me.

Thought we were very comfortable for the first half apart from a short spell part way through. Maybe should have been better than 1 - 0 given the possession and chances. Everyone played reasonably at worst. Second half seemed to start with the usual Argyle being two different halfs of a team. I think Cambridge started to get a foothold in the game and put us under some pressure. That's without me thinking they would score. We did and it was a bit against the run of play at that time. I think we were playing counter attacking stuff. Yet we were the home side???? At 2 - 0 we started to be put under even more pressure and it was almost inevitable that they scored one. We then looked shaky at as if we could throw a couple of points away. Cambridge are a bit of a boggey after all. We did hold out with a few good stops by Luke and in the end thought we just about deserved the points.

Top now even if I'd rather it was not now but end of April.

9. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

If only we can give Exeter a good thumping which will prove a point to justify our place. ...not really been outstanding yet but we can't knock them I suppose as did beat a bottom club for once! Lol.

10. notDistantGreen

I don't have Lyndhurst's journalistic skills but I thought it would be worthwhile to think about player rankings. I guess a "7" is an acknowledged "keep your place" rating but the rest depends on a subjective view of how each of us likes to see the game played.

Adam's sent them out in his preferred 4:2:3:1 formation but with I think 5 changes from the preceding game. I'm not a fan of a single striker arrangements. To me, you need an exceptional front man to make this work well and we haven't seen one to date. None of our strikers had scored up to the start of this game apart from Jake Jervis, who was one of the 5 left out.

Defence 7 out of 10 (just)

McCormick 6 - dropped a corner in the first half and fumbled a low shot on his right hand post in the second. Made a couple of very good saves but has to get the bread & butter stuff right somehow.

Miller 7 - down injured twice in the 1st half, once with a blow to the head or face. Substituted at half time. On the opposite side of the pitch to me and I can't say he did much wrong. Got down the flank regularly to support the attack.

Bulvitis 7
    Bradley 7

Arguable who's to blame for suspect defending of corners. Considerably better than the Bradley and Songo'o pairing I saw against Luton but still not as robust in open play as Hartley and Nelson. These partnerships take time to develop but will be interesting to see what happens when Osborne is fit. Not yet a Top 3 defence in my view.

Threlkeld 6 - on for Miller at half time. Started poorly perhaps having played a multitude of positions lately. Spoilt a good chance early on by taking an extra touch when a first time low cross behind a retreating Cambridge defence could have yielded a goal. Then managed to trip over his own feet when in another good attacking position. Settled down after that and looked steady. Rating may be unfair given mistakes were all within a few minutes of coming on and were at the attacking end. However, substitution was at half time when everyone has to restart and similar errors at the back could have been very costly.

Purrington 7 - not at all out of place but needs to make sure he's positioned properly. Possibly the latter was affected by a change of partner on the left as Slew came into the team.

Defensive Midfield 8

Songo'o 8 - strong, terrier like and uncompromising, Several Cambridge now know what it's like to Songo'od, Will inevitably run into disciplinary problems but a good replacement for McHugh.

Fox 8 - cool, calm, picks the right pass. Higher league experience yielded several defence-splitting though balls.

Attacking Midfield 8

Slew 8 - regularly had the beating of his full back despite the usual holding and obstruction. Good feet, good choices as to when to run the ball and when to make the simple pass, does the defensive bit, scored, what's not to like?

Tanner 7 - worked hard around his bit of the pitch, good feet, assist for the 2nd goal, good attitude (always the first to applaud the fans). I think he likes it at Home Park and would I'd be happy to see him stay on.

Carey 9 - but you don't expect any different do you, which is why Fox was my MoM. Ridiculously talented for this league, deadly free kicks and corners, worked his socks off, scored. Needs perhaps not always to go for the sublime 40 yard pass, especially when we aren't chasing the game. If I was Adams I might have a word about Carey charging back 50 yards to dive into a tackle out on the touchline. Not often you criticise someone like Carey for tackling back but that left foot is pure gold and we need it on the pitch in every game. Unnecessary Injuries would be a self inflicted wound.

Attack 7

Garita 8 - seems odd right? Where to start? Fast, strong, good touch, stays on his feet under even the heaviest of pressure and therefore often comes away with the ball when others wouldn't, kept two central defenders fully occupied, good partnership with Slew. A real threat. However, missed an open goal header in the second half and we need the strikers to start scoring generally. Definite first pick for Exeter for me.

Over to you Sensible.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

11. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Thanks for the reports all, sounds like a deserved 3 points albeit not wholly convincing. I did have a slightly more pressing engagement yesterday art my eldest son's wedding. It was a real swanky do (glad I was not the bride's father!) and a wonderful day at a lovely country house on the Wirral. My new daughter-in law's family are pretty much all from Manchester and 70/30 in favour of the red side-made for some interesting conversations given the derby that kicked off at 1230. Fortunately a lot of them now have Argyle as their 'other' team so in some ways our success compensated for Man Utd losing!

Sadly cant make Exeter either next week as I am transporting my other son to Uni for the first time. Normal reporting duties will be resumed in due course.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just not good enough Lindy.....very bad planning.....two weeks in succession.....part timer.....:rolleyes:.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Great memories Lindy....when your kids get married.....I found it very emotional when my eldest a daughter got married....she has a great husband and a great 13 going on 14 year old son.

With your second starting Uni....you'll have to get a proper job soon.

14. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Come on Lyndy get back to your job Reporting.. But i must say i liked NDG report.. Thanks NDG..

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Nothing to add from me Notdistant. You might find it difficult to get rid of the reporting job now. One thing I did notice about Garita when he tamely headed the ball to the keeper was his reaction. He was horrified and knew straight away he should have done better. Like that when he shows he truely cares.

Congratulations to your Son lyndy. As plym says it always leaves good memories and I remember giving my daughter away like it was yesterday.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Did you change the locks afterwards...or even secretly move.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Still had one at home so it was pointless plym.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Hmm....difficult.

19. notDistantGreen

2 m 8 secs of video are better than a thousand words...

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Thanks notDistant......how easy was their goal...looked so simple....surely someone wasn't doing there job.