1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Colchester

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Oct 27, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Colchester famous for a being an Army Town and having a Military Prison or at least it used to when I was in the Andrew and I typed out many a Punishment Warrant that sent people there. That's all I know about the place.

Anyway back to the football bit. We entertain this ex league one club this weekend with us still on a roll so I have to ask the same question as I have for the last month or so.......what could possibly go wrong? I say once more that we are bound to lose eventually so is this the one for it to happen. To save Colu-mike a post he reckons we will lose 0 - 1 but then again he hasn't got anyone on his board to discuss it with so he would say that wouldn't he. We are still top and Colchester are 15th. They have an interesting record over the last set of results. They have lost, drawn, lost, drawn, lost, drawn in that sequence. If they keep their run going then they are due to lose one again.

I doubt this one is going to be an easy game as I think there aren't really any of those anymore and still any team can beat another despite form or league position. We know this from our predictions league so far. I'm not in the habit though of expecting a loss or draw anymore with this side so bring it on is my view.

2. colu_mike

colu_mike Active Member

Sorry boys all good things must come to an end, but this one screams your classic coupon busting away win!<cheers>

Plymouth 0-1 Colchester <monster>

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You've probably got a better chance of getting something from us at our place than yours.....seeing that the only away points dropped this season where in our first away game.

Colchester was at it's peak as a Roman settlement....they've done nothing since then and that's a long time back.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  4. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Popped over to the Colchester board last evening-good preview of the match on there by Colu-more importantly they have a poll about the result-very close ATM-one person thinks we will win and another thinks Colchester will- wow how close is that? who will be proved correct? Never seen a poll on here - can we have one please? can we? not sure what to have one about but the possibilities are endless how about Brexit? or how honest we think JB is?- we could even have a pollster of the season competition;, go on I know you all want to....

5. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

There is news that Garita and Threlkeld will still not be available tomorrow.

I am guessing that we will start with the same 11 as last week.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A pity about Garita being still out.....half his present loan time has meant that he has been unavailable to us....and he was starting to make a mark.......will Bristol C want him back in January or will he stay longer ?

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Somebody told me last home match that Garita was going back to parent club due to the injury. Not heard much of a peep about him from the club have we. I thought that the rumour was a bit premature but it is going on a bit isn't it. Not the sort of person who told me to spread rumours for the sake of it. We have won without him so it would not have the same impact as previous loanees.

The reason the poll on the Colchester board only has two entries is because there isn't anyone else who goes on there. Colu-mike roams his board alone which is a bit sad really. He does do an impressive prematch though. No you can't have one on here you big kid you. We already know who is for or against brexit and we already know who thinks Brent is a little less than truthful some of the time at least.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Did I hear someone say Brexit.....lets just get on with it...stop just waffling it don't help either way.

9. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Anything could happen in any game, as you say and we're bound to lose eventually. What matters is how we come back from that. I don't see anything to make us expect this will be the one we'll lose though.

If Garita's injury is sufficiently bad, I suppose he will be sent back but it's good to see Argyle not doing that with the injured loanees too quickly. From Bristol City's point of view, the idea will have been to get him game-time in competitive matches. As long as they're happy he's being treated well, the fact he hasn't had those games so far may increase the chances of the loan being extended.

10. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Another 3 points safely gathered at Home Park in a match that will be remembered far longer for what looks like a bad injury to the referee than the standard of the football played.

The game started brightly enough with Argyle being given plenty of room to play some slick and accurate passing football. The team were bristling with confidence and Colchester appeared a little intimidated. No surprise then when Tanner slotted home after some good passing to make it 1-0. Colchester clearly not happy as one of their players had been down 'injured' for much of the build up- the ref was not too interested and the goal stood. Argyle's defensive frailties were exposed soon after when Colchester really should have equalised as a ball was played across the 6 yard line but no one in blue was able to connect. A soft foul on the edge of the box led to a free kick that was duly converted into the bottom left, with Luke rooted to the spot.

Second half was in all honesty pretty poor, Argyle couldn't get their game going and Colchester posed the greater threat without really going close. It was just over half way through the half when the ref hit the deck, not entirely sure how/or why but it was obviously fairly serious as players from both sides waved in the physios and club doctor and also called for the stretcher. A very long hold up ensued, not helped by the uniformed medical staff who seemed to be out for an afternoon stroll rather than attending a medical emergency-so much so that one of the of the Colchester players ended up relieving a stretcher bearer of his apparatus and ran the length of the pitch to speed things up. The referee hadn't had the best of games but certainly didn't deserve the vile abuse from the bloke sat a couple of rows behind me in block 11. Lets hope the ref makes a full recovery and that the idiot in block 11 is soon reunited with his village.
    Anyway, back to the football-almost immediately from the restart (with a replacement ref) Argyle attacked and Donaldson chased what looked like a lost cause when the keeper attempted to clear and whacked the ball into Donaldson-for once it rebounded and looped into the back of the net. That was it in terms of excitement apart from a very good save from Luke in the dying moments to keep the 3 points safe.

Overall a fair result, Songo had a bit of a mare, Carey was very quiet but inexplicably still got the sponsors MOTM. Probably give mine to Luke if only for his save-no one really stood out and after the first 30 mins we really didn't play particularly well.
    11 clear of 4th and 14 clear of 8th-please don't screw it up again this season.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Being suggested that the Referee bounced off of Jimmy Spencer.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

If I'm honest plym I think Spencer did him on the sly but don't tell anyone..........went down like a chav in a nightclub carpark. (thats the polite version of that )

Lyndhurst summed that up pretty much for me to. Their goal came following a foul but the initial attack was offside by a couple of yards which the lino missed. The freekick should never have been if the lino did his job so the slightly lucky goal at the end was justice. I like to think Donaldson trapped the ball and flicked it past the keeper in one movement that looked like a deflection into the net. Very slomo will prove that right or wrong but I'm sticking to that definition.

There were a few in block 10 who weren't very complimentary when the Ref went down as well Lyndhurst. Up to that point I thought he had done ok so why they would get abusive god only knows. He missed a few things and was a bit fussy at times but generally had got most of it right. He did colapse quite dramatically and he did look a bit poorly going past on the stretcher on wheels. I suppose it was just because he was the Ref he got the stick at first.

This was 2 points gained for me and just reinforces what I've been saying for a while now. I'm gong to say it again just for the hell of it. This team has something about it where they can grind out a result they perhaps shouldn't have got. It has all the hall marks of a promotion bid that's genuine. Last season these were games we would have lost. I've seen at least 3 games like that so far this season. Adams won't be lumbered with the Manager of the Month award this time as I think Carlisle have had all wins and we have had one draw.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

This is becoming ridiculous now....averaging 2.33 pts per match....which equals 107 pts in a season....and remember we lost our first two games and still we haven't given Osborne any first team football.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Bit early for totalling points up just yet Plym. I think when you get on a run it's sort of natural to start thinking that way but we have seen Argyle collapse before, last season ring a bell, so I think we should just go quietly on and upwards.

15. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

No matter how the goals come but must admit things looking good at the moment.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

If you do Sunderland....they would accumulate a total of 7.6 pts....oh hell lets be generous and round it up to 8 pts

17. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Sometimes we don't know how, but we keep rolling along.

After a break for the cups, we have Crewe (7th) and Grimsby (8th) so those will be interesting....

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Watched the video playback of the game......McCormick organized his near post wall....then didn't cover his far post at all....hugh space for the free kick to be aimed at....maybe he should have done better.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Interesting fact that......eleven players have scored in our twenty six goal league total.....that is quite a spread.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

He did a bit later when he pulled off a first class save to keep us in the game with the points.

If you've been reading some of the stuff on Argyle lately you will have read a bit about 20 goal strikers and the odds of having one and being promoted. It is more likely that you will get promoted if you have a spread of goals rather than one person getting most of them on their own. I think there is nothing wrong with spreading them out anyway. Who cares who scores as long as somebody does. If every player used scores 5 over the season then I'll be happy with that.