1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Dagenham and Redbridge

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 21, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Is this the banana skin we have been waiting for? When I think back over Argyle history, although this may not actually be true it feels like it, we have spectacularly managed to bungle loads of chances. The bottom club already relegated with 3 games to go with one of the lowest points I think I've seen for a while and we are playing them at home. What could possibly go wrong? Maybe this is just my Argyle defensive mode kicking in just in case.

Out of all of our final games this is one that we should win with ease in all honesty. We never do things the easy way though as the York game told us. There is no pressure on Dagenham whatsoever so they can now come out and play anyway they please. Because everyone expects them to lose now it's just like it that they will kick somebodies arse just for spite. York did it to Portsmouth on Tuesday. It seems there is a bumper crowd expected for Saturday of 10k+. The atmosphere should be good if they get that so the team have no excuses if they don't turn up.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We were lucky to get a point from them at Dagenham....an equalizer in the dying seconds....we where terrible......Joe and I had to watch it.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You could have closed your eyes......

You can understand the fear thing though can't you from us supporters that is. Bumper crowd = we flop. Must win game for real = we flop. Got a great chance having done hard work = we flop. No hope opponents = we flop. My head tells me I have seen us do this so many times over the years. I've sort of learned the hard way never to build my hopes up too far because the Argyle bubble isn't ever that secure.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Any analysis of the league table and recent results tells you we should win this easily.

However, this is Plymouth Argyle we're talking about so you are quite right to be worried Sensible!

I think we'll get the result we need but a foregone conclusion? Certainly not, especially given the injury list.

5. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Goal difference could be a factor so you Guys that are going to the game urge them on to score goals
    I will be listening to you..

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'll be there BC doing my usual vocal best. Like all other Argyle supporters probably tutting. Other clubs have songs associated with them and chants etc. We have tuts.

7. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Straight forward 3-0 victory me thinks.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'd settle for any score and just 3 points right now lyndhurst. The points are the important thing and the score very much a secondary. You know full well that what should be often isn't in this league.

9. lyndhurstgreen

For the first time in weeks I genuinely feel confident that we will have a comfortable(ish) afternoon. Suns out, not much wind and the pitch is recovering. Should be a decent crowd . Can't see any of the other playoff contenders dropping points today either so it will be 'as you are' before next Saturday's match. Think next saturday will be the more important match, though I expect nothing will be finally decided until the last day of the season.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Not so confident as you Lindy.....Joe and I saw the Dagenham game......and we where abysmal (that's Argyle not us).....only saved by Brunt's injury time blast.....a definate get out of Jail card.....Dag & Red play better away from home as well......:emoticon-0141-whew:.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Well the BBC stats suggests that the towel should have been thrown in and the referee should have stop the game to save Dag & Red from further punishment.....32 shots on goal and 8 on target......but as someone on here has been saying....goals win matches.....I cannot see Argyle remotely having a chance of winning the play-offs.....looks like Portsmouth will be their opponents in the semi-final....if not it will be AFC Wimbledon....and that doesn't inspire me either.....where did it all go wrong.

12. lyndhurstgreen

Am too drained to write much tonight. Not sure what I just witnessed really , clearly Argyle bossed the game from start to finish and D&G never posed a threat apart from the 3 goals they scored and the one they should have scored but missed. Absolutely abysmal defending against two identical training ground corners sandwiched a wonder strike from outside the box . 0-3 at half time and D&G had only been in our half 4 times.

Argyle created loads of chances , some with good play and others by poor defending. There were a few wayward long shots but lots of headers that missed the target. DA will say that we played well (which we were allowed to do) and were unlucky (which we weren't). Several formations were tried including 3 at the back in the second half; even Tyler Harvey got 30 mins but didn't do much. Wylde had lots of the ball and put numerous crosses in, unfortunately most weren't very good (though bizarrely he got the sponsors MOTM). Carey and Matt both worked their socks off, Houghton put in a good shift, Jervis was poor again (as the bloke next to me commented, apart from his 14 goals he has done nothing all season!. At 0-3 Purrington and Wylde had a prolonged spat on the Lyndhurst side- not much team unity on show. Hartley brought it back to 1-3 , Carey scored a quality goal for 2-3 but it was all too little too late. The larger than normal crowd must have attracted the boo boys back-no idea why they think booing a misplaced pass is going to help.

So, as predicted, none of the other contenders slipped up, playoffs it is then.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I shall read sensible's match comments from behind the settee later.

14. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

We have a chance to go up so all is not over yet:emoticon-0105-wink:

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Bollox, Bollox, Bollox, Bollox and another 50 bolloxes.......that's about all I can say really because lyndhurst has said it.

We have just lost against the very very worst side I have seen in a very long time. One corner which had goal written all over it. One free kick which should never have been conceeded on the same side near the corner which was identical to the first goal. Sandwiched in between was a goal where the player was given so much space it was embarrassing. He hit it well but should never have been allowed to. The players were boo'd off at half time and although I don't do that they deserved it. It was shocking. Throughout the game we had chance after chance and as said if a boxing match the Ref would have stopped it. Our finishing was poor. We could have won that 10 - 3 and it would not have been a travesty. In a word we missed McHugh big time. The team have just let the fans down big time and ruined a season of hope. That's it folks we have blown it. I am so pissed off tonight. There is nothiing positive to say about this game at all and nothing to add. They don't deserve us.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Can I come out now from behind the settee.....is it safe yet.....<steam><steam><steam>....(that's sensible)

We shouldn't be allowed to play at home.....fortress Home Park.....bunkum.....bunkum.....bunkum.

PS.....they didn't have to bring on their top scorer.....Jamie Cureton....:headbang:.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Funnily enough plym I made the same comment this afternoon about not playing at home. If we could do 46 away games then we might stand a chance. We have let in at least double figures in identical goals when it would have been much easier to defend them. I mean really soft goals from nothing special at all. They keep making the same errors and never ever learn from them. That is down to all of the players and the manager for not ensuring they stop it. McCormack is dreadful suddenly at crosses. We used to complain at Cole for not coming and blasting the manager for not playing Luke instead who always came. Now he stands there like a dummy and does nothing. There is something not right in Luke's head and it shows. Don't know what it is but he lacks any concentration. He has become a liability rather than an asset and those that still defend him as the best or even one of the best in this league are deluded. Sorry but time to look elsewhere unless he can sort it out. Carey has become a big time charlie who is all about Carey and not a team player. Jervis is a passenger most of the time. Wylde is often poor now and he never tackles back. Mellor is still being Mellor. Too many of them now who are weak. The one person who came out of it all today with any credit for me was Nelson. He tried and tried. Matt was decent. The rest pretty much should appologise. Adams should start.

18. notDistantGreen

I wasn't there today, so my comments are from the heart not the head.

On Friday I had to beat myself with a wet towel to stop me buying last minute tickets, I have tickets for Hartlepool and I have bought a White Membership for next year for myself and my 2 superiors. For sure we'll end up going more often than that covers. Why am I saying this? Well, I'll be there anyway but.....

I can't see any way this lot are going to battle through the play-offs and the fact we're going to have to go through it makes it worse. As Sensible said before the start, playing a recently relegated side was an accident waiting to happen and to go 0-3 down to poorest side in the league, albeit freed from relegation worries, is unforgivable. We lack a militant, a Wotton. McHugh is the nearest and he wasn't there today.

Nelson is a good player, better than we deserve probably, but he isn't a blood and guts captain. It strikes me that McCormick plays in a protective bubble, not drawing attention to himself for fear of personal abuse. It isn't working presently and we are dreadfully weak at deadball situations and you have to take a critical look at the centre of that defence.

Please God we go out at the first stage of the play-offs. I couldn't stand a defeat at Wembley.

I don't agree about Wylde: he skins just about any full back he comes up against and plays good balls into space in the box. I'd more point the finger at the other attackers for not being on the right wavelength to get on the end of them.

19. notDistantGreen

By the way, we all need a laugh or at least a grimace. I won't try to post from Twitter again but some bright spark used this to sum up Argyle's season....

20. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

What utter rubbish. ...embarrassing seeing me mates today. ...don't know what to say. ..:headbang: