1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Doncaster

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Dec 8, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Soft penalty for Doncaster - MISSED

2. notDistantGreen

And Doncaster have a player sent off after McCormick mocked penalty taker, presumably thinking penalty won with a dive.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Carlisle only draw.

4. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Excellent result....Newport abandoned after waterlogged pitch, when we playing them again?

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Tuesday 20th.

6. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

So, Argyle return to the top of the league following a justified and relatively comfortable win, with a clean sheet to boot.

Derek Adams has to take a fair slice of the credit as he put the tippy tappy football to one side and tried a much more direct style with the speedy Slew being the obvious target man. Not pretty, but effective against a Donny side that I was expecting to be better than they were. A slip by their defender allowed Carey in for the first. A ten yard dribble followed by a cracking shot curled into the left corner relieved a lot of the tension around Home Park. Not a great deal more to report about the first half from a sodden ground apart from it being fairly entertaining.

Second half it was obvious we would need another and a slightly dubious penalty provided it. For me, Donaldson knocked the ball past the defender and then ran into him-he certainly didn't dive but neither I am convinced it was a pen. Jervis converted via the underside of the bar and the points were more or less sorted.
    Doncaster tried to pull one back, but other than a few tame shots they really didn't threaten. The match ended with the flashpoint which I will have to see again to be sure. Donny were correctly awarded a penalty and there were 'words' between Luke and the taker. Whatever was said, the ball hit the post and the clean sheet was maintained. Luke had quite a few more words with the taker and a 'mellee ensued' and the ref saw fit to send one of theirs off. I thought Luke may well have got a yellow as well but the ref saw it differently. More 'scenes' at the final whistle from some of the Donny staff to the ref and we all went home happy.

Carey was the official MOTM but for me Bradley was outstanding and it should have been him. No one had a bad game and I also thought the ref had a pretty decent outing. Top at Christmas (almost), can't be bad.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  7. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agree most of that lyndhurst although I'm not so sure about the Ref having a good one. Average at best for me. Made some fairly poor calls from where I was sat including the Argyle Pen. No.1 son says it was but I thought it was a bit soft and wasn't even totally sure it was in the box. I could be wrong for that bit though. I thought Doncaster were a very good passing side and it isn't hard to see why they are up there. I expected them to score at some point and the fact they didn't is still a bit of a mystery to me. A lot of passing though with very little end product hence the clean sheet for Argyle. I thought we took the lead after a bit of luck. Their defender slipped and then once recovered allowed Carey to come inside on his left instead of keeping him on his right. Had he done as he should have then I don't think Carey scores. But once inside on his left then it looked odds on for a goal and was really well taken. We rode our luck at times but once it went 2 - 0 even if again slightly against the run of play we looked safe (ish). I still thought Doncaster would score though and lo and behold they got a penalty.

New para for this. I wasn't sure it was a penalty from my end of the ground which is a long way from the incident. I accept it was if told it was. The player taking it buggered it up himself. Nobody else to blame just him but I then saw Mac come out and obviously have something to say. Suddenly all hell breaks lose and players rush in from all over the place. I have no idea what was said or who did what to whom. The Ref then produces a Red for the Doncaster player. Lots of speculation going around but not seen anything yet to confirm what went on. I don't think Luke is the sort of player to lose it without a reason. He has always appeared very placid before so I'm guessing something was said to him. You might guess the subject it being Luke but it may have nothing to do with that. Clearly something happened from the straight Red the Ref gave.

I will bet the Doncaster team will be totally pee'd off on their long trip home. If I were them I would be. 3 points is the imprtant thing and we got them. Good day at the office and we start another run.............I hope. My MOM could be one of several but I thought Slew ran his guts out for some poor service. He never complained and just kept up going for the ball.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've just been reading some comments on the Doncaster Rovers fan's forum regarding the sending off and what their opinion was of Luke's involvement. I find their comments quite disgusting in truth and it just shows them in a very poor light. Apparently it was nothing to do with their Captain grabbing MacCormick it was all to do with Luke having a pop at the penalty taker and their Captain rushing in to defend a young player. He didn't grab Mac by the neck albeit they then post a picture of the man doing exactly that. But it was MacCormick's fault anyway because he is a child killer who should never be allowed out of jail let alone back into football. Their Captain should have just strangled the "barsteward" who is a piece of scum along with all of the Argyle fans who applaud him. One is even surprised nobody has run on the pitch before now and chinned him for killing kids. Here is another excuse. He has two small children and probably couldn't contain himself because of what MacCormick did. Never mind he had managed to for 89 minutes.

The reaction by MacCormick was for me totally out of character. No doubt in my mind that he did go to the penalty taker and have some words but you would have to ask why he did that because you would not credit MacCormick with that sort of behaviour normally without a whole load of provocation. They must have been saying stuff to him before the penalty was taken. We will probably never know because I doubt anyone will ever tell us. Apparently MacCormick will get loads of stick in the return match from their faithful who will once more remind him of his past. I actually think they believe he doesn't get that normally from anywhere else. Somebody from the FA being present and hearing it might not be a bad thing. Fine the club for it if it happens after the threat of it has been made. If they do that for racism and the like then why not for this sort of thing. It is equally abhorent.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Doncaster's not606 forum seems has dead as the Dodo.....so you must of been looking at their official site I assume sensible...might look it up when I've caught up....out till midnight last night looking after grandchilren...so a little behind on current happenings.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Having watched the few highlights that we where allowed to see on C5 last night....I think that Carey's goal wasn't because of a defenders slip.....the player did fall over in the end.... but the pass to him was short and I feel that Carey was on to it before the Doncaster player ended up on the ground which was then used as an excuse to cover up their poor pass.

Their penalty incident needs to be seriously looked at by the FL.....it must surely of been because of McCormick's past....snide comments to him before the penalty was taken....and after it was missed McCormick gave his view of what was going on.

In the melee that followed McCormick's retaliation comments....James Coppinger got involved and got the red card....remember he played for Exeter 2002/4 scoring 13 goals in 82 appearances....so inevitable that he had too much to say.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016

11. notDistantGreen

I think we're blessed with a manager with real tactical nous. Played Carey on the right so he was up against an inexperienced youngster (or so I gathered from the radio commentary), was content to sit back, let Doncaster have the ball up to the final third but then hit them on the break, stifled a Doncaster attack who've scored in every other game this season.

Again, I wasn't there, but Ryan Brunt, who did the expert bit on the radio, noted that Slew was being asked to drop back to mark Doncaster's midfield playmaker as well as occupy a 3 man defence.

This sort of result is happening too many times under Adams to be coincidence. A lot of opposition fans (and the Doncaster equivalent of Chris Errrington yesterday) have been saying we're lucky. It's not luck, it's a cunning plan or two.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Been looking at the Carey goal....tried to freeze the moment.....it just looks strange the way the Doncaster play reacted.....couldn't really say that his feet slipped away from him.....he just seemed to fall to the floor....he knew he couldn't get to the ball first.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've just watched the goals and stuff on playback. You are right abut Carey's goal it was a short pass. I think their player fell over to cover his embarrassment. The person who passed it though was the one who allowed him to go onto his left istead of keeping him right. Carey is so left footed that the defender should have known that.

Our penalty looks more nailed on with the benefit of replay but I think he went for it as much as the defender stopped him. It was just in the box. Their penalty was much in the same vein as our's. Both could have been given and were or both could have been waved away on another day for me. It wasn't clear from what was shown who did or said what to whom prior to the kick. I still say something must have been. The Doncaster Captain ought to have known better and I don't think his Exeter past has anything to do with it. He definately grabbed MacCormick by the throat and it was that that got him his Red. Stupid because he came from a long way away to get involved.

You are right Plym it was on the Doncaster fans forum that I read the comments. Absolutely out of order and it lets themselves down totally. One of the contributors says he is an ex copper. He was the one who posted he should have strangled him. Great contribution there wasn't it. I wonder if he was at Hillsborough and on Miners Strike duty as well. We can all thrown stupid comments can't we.

14. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

I read that rubbish on their board also and they say they will give the Murderer hell when we play up there.. Now i wonder why he is an ex copper?
    They got beat on the day by the better team and we are top of the league.. Why should Luke stand there and take that abuse? he has done the time, as we know it will still hurt him of the thought of what he did that day..

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I can understand a set of fans being a bit bitter on losing. I think they played well enough to have won but they didn't score and we know how that feels in several of the previous games ourselves. Barnet is one and Newport in the cup is another. The reason we lost those or didn't win was because of what we didn't do and nothing to do with the teams we played. We didn't like it either but we didn't blame the opposition. We blamed our own players for it. And the Ref but that's a given in any game... MacCormick didn't get Copinger sent off. Copinger did that all by himself. It also seems it's ok to slag off other players but not if one of them gives you some back. Thing is we know Luke better than they do. We know how he feels about what he did and how much the regret is genuine. We to have agonised over him playing for us. We have been grown up enough to not approve but to agree he has to carry on with his life irrespective of the crime he committed. The same applies to anybody who has done the same and they exist in many professions. I have never shouted abuse at any player for us or against. I wouldn't join in that sort of behaviour. For them to actually plan abuse long before a game is apaulling. To wish somebody dead is worse. In one case to admit to being an ex policeman and still come out with dogs abuse is way way over the top. The point is that MacCormick gets dogs abuse week in week out from these moronic plebs. He has probably learned to shut most of it out by now so they can chant away all they like. I hope they get a penalty again up there and Mac saves it again. No better way to return the abuse with interest. I hope that ex copper gets his conduct looked into one day and has to justify whatever he has done. With the attitude he has no doubt he was never upright all of the time but probably mostly slightly bent at best. These comments though let their club down.

16. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Sensible he was probably thrown out of the force with comments such as he has put. I have screen shot them and send them to the Force to see if they accept that from an ex.. He probably had a few bungs and fiddles. wonder what he fiddled with :emoticon-0146-punch

17. notDistantGreen

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I just about managed to contain my frustration in clicking on your link notdistant and actually wait long enough to read it. The Herald site is a complete pain and I hate going into it these days. I have to say that I'm surprised the Herald printed such a one sided piece. I know they are quoting others and it was an interview with one of their players but it isn't being challenged by the reporter and Luke definately isn't being defended. Where is their comment that this is totally out of character for him and the condemnation of the abuse the Doncaster fans have given him and are giving him now. Where is the condemnation for Copinger for his violent reaction? Their picture shows quite clearly he has a hand around Luke's throat. Their player being interviewed can quite clearly see that also so where is the questioning of the man's judgement on what is acceptable when it's right in front of him. It's a defence of the indefenceable which the Herald are giving space to airing. Where is the defence of our man from our Manager? Has anyone asked him for his take on it and if not why not. Even if he declined to comment it should at least be said that he has been asked.

As for Argyle being "lucky" well as has been said by others greater than me "the more we practice the luckier we get". I have no idea what some people watch but to say we were lucky and that's why we won is simply to ignore any facts there are. We took our chances and Doncaster didn't. That's not luck thats just better finishing than them. I'm still not convinced about the penalties to be honest. I think both could just as easily not been given. But the Referee for once was consistent and gave both of them. They were pretty identical so neither can claim to be more stone wall than the other. We scored they missed. Not luck again but better finishing. I think the Doncaster fans let themselves down big time. They are looking for a scapegoat and Luke is public enemy No.1. He didn't make them lose it was their players that did that. They passed very well all day long but didn't create much if they were honest with themselves. We would have been frustrated if the boot was on the other foot but we also know that looking pretty doesn't win games. We have lost a shed load over recent seasons we dominated but couldn't finish. Many many teams have done that. It isn't the oppositions fault though. To slag off MacCormick as they have and the ground and the club and everything else Argyle is just plain shallow and clutching at straws. If they can't see any of that then they shouldn't be watching games is all I can say. Man up, grow up and be a bit more humble. They will learn as a few others have that this league is no pushover and they don't have a right to bounce back.

19. notDistantGreen

I think it's best for PAFC to let Doncaster stew in their own juice.

They got outplayed tactically and then lost it when Fate conspired against them.

There's nothing to be gained by drawing attention to Luke in defending him: he wasn't even booked. Looking at his reaction compared to his normal demeanour, my bet is that he was sledged by Doncaster BEFORE the kick was taken and we know what was likely to have been said to him. Although that's a sound defence, it's best not drawn attention to in case others try the same thing,

And you are right, it could have been 2 penalties or none but nothing in between: they were almost identical.