1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Leyton Orient

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Feb 12, 2017.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Following the what seemed easy victory on Saturday we next play Leyton Orient who have been having a torrid time for a while now. This one everyone will expect to be even easier than the last. We on form have won 5 out of the last 7 and they have lost 6 out of the last 7. I mean what could be easier when it's second from the top playing second to the bottom at home.

If only football was that simple. All you have to do is look at Doncaster v Newport on Friday night and it should answer any questions about how simple it is. I don't think any sane person would have put any money on Newport getting even a point out of that one. We have been buzzing in anticipation about our last match and a lot would have taken a point out of that if offered before kick off. After the event all seemed so simple and it is likely to lure us into a false sense of security playing these. I mean, what could possibly go wrong.........................(Dagenham)

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Are you saying I'm not sane....I had them down for a draw.....<applause>.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You only backed it in hope but not in hard cash. On the other hand if the cap fits.............:emoticon-0110-tongu:emoticon-0178-rock::headbang:

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Pentagon inside knowledge of course.....:emoticon-0172-mooni.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Clear dry evening here at Home Park but smallish crowd, including 2 minibus fulls from Cockney Land.

6. notDistantGreen

OK average not small

7. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

2 injuries, looking not good for the pair.. We have to win this one :emoticon-0143-smirk

8. notDistantGreen

Some sumptuous stuff from Argyle - did we kidnap Liverpool when they were here?

But injuries to Bradley and Sarevic, the latter due to one of many cynical challenges from an overwhelmed Orient side.

Ignore the score , we'll win this, if we get some protection from the referee.

9. Greenarmyjoe

10. Greenarmyjoe

11. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

12. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

'It's a funny old game' but there was nothing remotely funny about tonight. The game was totally ruined by an(other) abject referee. Orient were intent on kicking lumps out of Argyle and the ref totally failed to stop them-they could easily have ended the match with 8 players. Argyle started well and for periods in the first half played some outstanding stuff. Orient didn't. 1-0 up fairly early on and it could easily have been 3 before Orient drew level just before the break, with what was a pretty good goal. Probably more significant was the loss of Bradley and Sercevic before half time, both with what looked like pretty nasty injuries. Second half more of the same to start, Kennedy scored a screamer on 54 mins and then it all went down hill. Orient had certainly got under Argyle's skin and we completely lost the ability to play. That said, Bulvitis hit the inside of the post with many saying the ball crossed the line. Despite Orients tactics and the ref's inability to manage anything it looked like we would see the game out. Not to be, Luke was at fault for the second and a scramble on 94 mins meant Orient ended up with the points. Kennedy my MOTM.
    I genuinely hope Orient go bust and get relegated, and hopefully the ref will also be in the conference next season.

That's it, too wound up to say anything else.

13. notDistantGreen

A shocker all round. I think Orient were embarrassed by how much better we were and started kicking out in desperation.

The "ref" let it get out of control and then, as they do, started to react to the home crowd by giving decisions that were not just wrong but perverse.

I thought our third was in as did all around us but the angle wasn't ideal. Sensible should have had a better view.

Orient had one good player their no 11 and how the Argyle players didn't kick him up in the air in retribution I don't know but we just don't mix it like that.

A travesty of a result and a travesty of a game.

One thing I've said before and I'll say it again reluctantly. Songo'o is a liability.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Firstly I do not think the phantom goal was a goal. I'm as sure as I can be without a replay that the ball didn't cross the line. The players didn't make a meal out of it and the Devonport end stayed seated which is also a decent indicator.

I am totally pee'd off tonight. The Referee has given them the points. The second goal was preceeded by an absolute blatant foul on one of ours in our box and the Ref has given a corner. It was from that corner that the goal happened but if he had given the free kick to us as he should have we would not have been defending it. He was by far the worst I've seen and we have seen some absolute shockers down here. I think I didn't get at least half of the decisions he made and where he got them from is just beyond me completely. Orient are a bunch of dirty gits who having got away with some terrible tackles just went one step on and committed worse ones. Why not if the Ref is going to let you. As said above we don't seem to do that and maybe we should learn to.

Having said the above we were our own worst enemies also. We lost two players fairly early and I think it threw us out of sync. I just hope they aren't injured too badly. Bradley especially although we would miss Secervic as well. He is a real handful and his midfield play is better than this league. For long periods we played Orient off the park. But we didn't score enough and it's no good being pretty without an end product. We got mugged by a team of thugs and a Referee who was so incompetent it was embarrassing. No point dwelling though and we must move on quickly and put things right. We could have done ourselves a big favour tonight but instead we gave some hope and joy to the pack.

What could possibly go wrong........that could.

15. Greenarmyjoe

It was another Dagenham :eek:

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just been looking at the photos on GoS.........with the temporary seating now removed the view towards the Mayflower Grandstand has gone back to being totally dismal.....how many years have we had that situation ?......spoils the atmosphere of an enclosed ground.....I feel that will always benefit the away side.....no pressure build-up for the away dug-out.......it looked so much better with the seating in place......PAFC have missed a trick there.....seating on the concrete steps although not covered would have been better than that depressing view.

17. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I agree that it now looks dismal again Plym but it was largely outside the club's control. As I said elsewhere the design of the temp seating led to many complaints/objections and it is highly unlikely that a safety certificate would be issued in the future for the same/similar structure.(not to mention all those other members that had their view obstructed/had to be moved because of the temp seating). That said, and as always it would depend on cost, a different design (like the old temp seating) would I am sure improve the look/atmosphere.....I am not holding my breath though!

18. notDistantGreen

What went wrong is I think that I went to the game. I'm a Jonah: here we are 2nd in the league in February so lets'd review the league games I've been to:

Luton Town Lost 0-3
    Portsmouth Drew 2-2
    Grimsby Town Lost 0-3
    Wycombe Wanderers Drew 3-3
    Leyton Orient Lost 2-3

That's out of a home record of W9 D3 L4.

QED

19. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

What was the brouhaha involving the ball boy? Was he playing for time or did the Orient player take a dislike to him?

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think Kelly thought he was the Referee. He was in the Ref's ear all game long and some of the decisions the Ref gave was bizaar to say the least. I don't think the lad was doing much wrong but obviously Kelly thought he should do it faster. He just shoved him over. Kelly is a bully type and he should have been off the pitch anyway before any of this. I'm not normally one for crying Red card but there should have been 3 absolutely nailed on reds in the last 2 games. The Exeter keeper who was in the air with studs showing and at least knee high. That was nowhere near a debatable just missed the ball but was going for it. The next was Kelly who already had committed god knows what. His assault on the ball boy, and that's what it was, should have been a straight red on it's own never mind the previous. Hazard for Chelsea got a red and extra after. Another Orient player deliberately raked the heel of one of our's and he could hardly walk off the pitch having had to be subbed. Shocking challenge which the Referee bottled once more. One of many decisions he bottled all through the game. It always sounds a bit like sour grapes after you lose a game I know. This isn't by me because if we get beat I'm not happy but generally accept it was our fault rather than anyone else. This time though there were reasonable excuses. I don't normally wish ill of another team either, not even our supposed hated rivals Exeter. However, if Orient think that their game was acceptable then I hope they end up 92nd in the league. Sadly for them if they had stuck to playing proper football rather than what they did do then they were the better side on the night and their victory would have been well deserved.