1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Mansfield

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Aug 19, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just realised we don't have one.

First thing to ask is will the game be played given the forecast? I think it probably will but boy will it be a lottery if it carries on blowing a gale all afternoon.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What gale.....teeny bit of drizzle up here....but on the whole reasonable.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Have a look at the weather warning for here plym.:eek:

4. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Looking out over central park and the wind is just starting to pick up. Looks like it is going to be pretty rough in a couple of hours but no danger whatsoever to the match going ahead..........ooops that sounds a bit like 'there will be no hurricane'.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I've been worried about that new pitch if there'd been a colossal amount of rain. The weather radar is presently showing just showers out as far as the Scillies though. There's a huge lump of rain across Northern Ireland and NW England at the moment so it's a good job that missed us.

6. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Nice result....hope didn't slack off a little in second half. ...

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I cannot for the life of me remember names at the minute due mainly to an excess of plonk. However, what I will say is that this seemed to be quite an easy 3 points and Mansfield hardly troubled Argyle all day. Carey scored the goals which on the face of it looked quite easy albeit the second one was well taken. The first half saw Argyle mainly on the offensive and were not troubled. The wind played a bit of a part in the way it went as Mansfield mostly overhit the ball playing with the wind. It seemed easier to be playing against.

Second half Argyle were of course going the other way so they found it difficult. Both keepers didn't come to terms with the wind throughout. Mansfield did press a lot more in the second half and Argyle did find it difficult to get out of their half a lot of the time. But, I have to say I never felt like they would score. They didn't. Not the best game we will see this season but at least the result was what we wanted. The weather spoilt it to some extent although it was not the sole reason for Mansfield beind beaten. Thought they were quite a physical side who will bully a few this season.

8. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Yes, that pretty much summed it up sensible. My memory is a little blurred (mainly due to my son's stag do!) but I thought the first 30 minutes was some of the best football Argyle have played since probably Christmas. Carey was back almost to his best and for once Jervis also had an excellent game. Still a bit worried about the defence but at least it was a clean sheet. Back to back wins and top half of the table-hopefully there will be a few more there next match.

9. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Following on the BBC website.....2-0 in 24 minutes.....looked as if four or five might be possible and reverse our minus goal difference.

Had the weather effected the attendance figure ?....after a win at Notts C things where looking up.... or was it down to the holiday season.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Being there it never looked like it was going to be a rout or anything plym. 2 - 0 on the day was perfectly acceptable. I just looked up the crowd which was basically 7000. I could see it wasn't a record and I think there were several reasons for the fall. First the opposition and the fact that Luton was the first in the season. Second is the time of year and I think it is probably peak holiday time. Third is the weather was not great. I was bleddy cold sat there in my jacket. 7000 was pretty good considering.