1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Pompey

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 14, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

About time we had a proper thread to put stuff on about this Saturday. The most unimportant match of the season I'd guess. I mean a dockyard derby and the make or break of the season. Simple fact is if we don't win this one, and a draw is no good to either, then it really is play offs or nothing for us.

Do we have any pluses to look forward to? Not sure really except we have Mr Harvey recalled to become our saviour. I read a bit on the beeb site that Adams is challenging him to step up. No pressure then when he couldn't wait to get him out somewhere else earlier. If by some chance this comes off and Harvey finally realises whatever potential we believed he had then Adams will no doubt proclaim himself a genius. He will have sent him out to grow a pair and brought him back and man managed him to success. If he flops then Adams will say he was right all along. If he plays him where he should play him, as a proper striker then I actually think Harvey will do ok. What a stage to do it on though.

I know we CAN beat Pompey but will we is the question. It's a bleddy hard one isn't it for a make or break match. Could have been better but it is what it is. I just hope if Argyle do lose they do it going for it and not out with a whimper. COYG....

2. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Yes i agree, and i put some were that a draw is not good enough.. We must win and go for it.. I think we will do and off to put a nice bet on us winning.. If not i think it will be play offs as Pompey have to play the wombles in there game in hand .. All our remaining games are tough, but a win Saturday would put us in good spirit for Tuesday and the remainder.. We Need this. We are going Up :emoticon-0102-bigsm

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You know I don't believe in matches on paper Joe but actually our other remaining games aren't all tough. Orient away won't be easy but we have 2 at home against Dagenham and Hartlepool which we should win if all things are equal. The other away one is a possible win as well. The way we go we will win the two tough ones and lose the supposed easy ones.

Portsmouth were a good side when we played them so long ago on the opening day. They won 2 - 1 that day thanks to 2 penalties and the trend of us not getting any was set also. One of their penalties was worse than soft for me. All in all despite them playing some bleddy good football we could and should have gotten something out of the game. We all thought they were nailed on for promotion after that but they have struggled for any great consistency. However, they seem to have improved in that department more recently. We on the other hand have done the reverse of that. On current form and chances of success I have to say that Pompey look to have the edge for this one and I don't suppose it would be the greatest of surprises if we got beat. But I go back to the win when not expected to thing so it is still up for grabs.

4. Greenarmyjoe

I think we are due a good run and some goals.. let battle commence!

5. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I'll be there along with No2 son (statto). Always a good day out and the rivalry between the clubs/fans tends to be good natured, at least after the match(apart from the usual small minority who will misbehave). Hopefully this year we will be sat a bit further away than last time when we had to endure 'Pieface' and his antics.

By all accounts it is close to a full house so should be a cracking atmosphere. I suppose I am travelling more in hope than anticipation but wouldn't be at all surprised if we managed to nick it-it may well boil down to which team holds its nerves and keeps 11 players on the pitch. It would be great to start will Matt and Harvey up front but doubt we will. Am not one of those that thinks Tyler Harvey is the best thing to come out of Plymouth, but it might just freshen things up-I also think he is better when he starts rather than coming off the bench-especially in a game like this.

I also don't think a loss is the end of our chances, it would just been that we cant afford to drop a point in the remaining fixtures.

Match report at somepoint late Saturday!

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Point is Tyler Harvey has never been played in his proper position as far as I know so who knows, he might turn out to be the best thing to come out of Plymouth yet. I am not his biggest fan either but only because of what I've just stated. I might be persuaded though if he pokes a couple in.

I expect you to return with all due speed to post the report lyndhurst. You've already stated elsewhere you don't do painting so you won't be painting the town red after the game. I do think you are being a wee bit tinted though if you think our season for automatic isn't over if we lose.

lyndhurstgreen likes this.
  7. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Looking forward to losing to the finest team on the south coast?

8. lyndhurstgreen

Whether we are still in the frame for auto promotion will obviously depend on other results, but I do think that we are capable of winning all the remaining matches . Tomorrow's match will go one of two ways, either we will get hammered 4 or 5 nil, or just possibly we might get a scruffy win by an odd goal.

9. lyndhurstgreen

No, looking forward to a good day out, traveling without much expectation but you never know!

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

We aren't playing Southampton are we? (I have to humour them in case they're reading any of this. You know how sensitive they get when size is mentioned). Mind you, to even think they would descend to league 2 boards is a bit presumptious I supose.

11. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

One thing's for sure, we have nothing to lose. I wan't impressed with Matt & Jervis up front last week, so why not give Harvey a go? I seem to remember he got a bit more than a tap-in against Exeter a while back....

If Reid's fit though I might change my mind.

12. SaintLapras

Southampton aren't even the finest team in Southampton. That dubious honour goes to Eastleigh.

Isn't Lyndhurst near Southampton?

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've just looked it up and you are right PompeyLapras it is. I thought he'd named himself after one of our stands but now I smell a rat. Good job you're here is all I can say.

I had never heard of Lyndhurst the place but to be fair I have heard of Eastleigh and football. I'd actually always thought the best team in Southampton was the one visiting that matchday. <whistle>

14. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Lyndhurst is in the New Forest sensible........if you cannot get to it by sea I assume for you ex-Naval types you don't know it exists. That's why being in the RAF gives you a greater knowledge of land locked towns and cities....a rounder education of the country that you live in.....:).

15. lyndhurstgreen

All naval engineers (like wot I was!) will be aware of Lyndhurst- you pass a sign to to when taking the coast road between Guzz and Pompey. Since all the engineering shore establishments are in Portsmouth (or Gosport to be more exact) anyone based in Plymouth will have been past the sign on many occasions. I reckon I've probably done that route well over a couple of hundred times-at least it is a bit quicker now than it was in the early eighties.

16. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just shows how sensible has had a sheltered life.....had to look it up tut tut.....<doh>.

17. SaintLapras

Good point. I stand corrected, Eastleigh are the second finest team in Southampton.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Well. I read a few coments on the forums at halftime and there was much angst and gnashing of teeth. Argyle were "Gutless". Looking at the stats it does however appear that we stole this one. Now I wrote at the time of the first meeting at the start of the season that despite Portsmouth playing very well I thought they stole that game. An exstremely soft penalty to follow the other one they had and we got nothing for our's. We had a couple of great shouts and they should have been. So, fair outcome for the season because I think they will feel hard done by.

19. Greenarmyjoe

We are still in it for the autos.. Who Wrote us OFF.. You need some luck as well.. We are going up...

20. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I was confident throughout. No, really.

Wylde to start next time please.