1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Wimbledon

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You have to go down to Mansfield who are 13th to find a team with a worse current form record (10 games)_than Argyle.

2. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

I think we still have a chance.. We have nothing to lose now as that has been done. Put out an attacking team each game now and see what happens.. Just GO FOR IT! All is not lost..

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Thinking about it further, technically speaking we're buggered if Reid is out for any length of time.

Matt and Jervis didn't look the most effective pairing to me yesterday. Matt had one shot in the scond half which did a good impression of an Exocet missile. God he can hit the ball but there's more to scoring goals than that.... The rest of the time it was all a bit random. Jervis was, well, Jervis, has some attributes but all in all, you're not quite sure what it's for.

He can't select Nardiello unless he reduces the number of loan players in the match squad. That's hard as Forster, Boateng and Houghton are strong candidates for every team sheet and Matt is one of his few striking options. Does he need Tanner on the bench? Decent player, no arguments, but he's doing the football equivalent of bed-blocking if we aren't careful. Adams didn't have an out-and-out striker on the bench yesterday.

Can we and should we recall Tyler Harvey and/or Dean Smalley as contracted players?

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We haven't got the players for an all out attacking style who can score goals....our strength was the measliness of our defence.....that under the pressure of not scoring enough goals has cracked.......point,set and match I think.

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think this lot have bottled it and Adams has joined in. I'm not convinced Brent wants promotion either because it would cost more. The wages would have to be a bit higher but I don't think we would get anymore through the gates to fund it so the money would have to be found somewhere. I was talking over a beer yesterday after the game and came to the conclusion that if auto isn't a goer then I do not want to even take part in the playoffs. I don't want to pay for another lot of disappointment like last season in round one. If we somehow managed to get past that I do not wsnt to pay to go to Wembley and come home the defeated side this time. I absolutely do not think Argyle could put more than one game as a run together now and it would waste my money giving some to Brent who I don't think deserves it. So auto or drop out completely for me.

6. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

That's the spirit Joe..

7. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I think there is every chance that we might beat Pompey in front of a full house - it would be typical Argyle. Despite all the gloom and doom we can still go up automatically of even via the playoff adventure. Without doubt I would rather be moaning about how we have managed to throw away a great position, rather than worrying about survival/dropping out of the league. At worst, it is going to be another glorious failure!

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Year 16/17 repeat, year 17/18 repeat. That's the thing lyndhurst it would be another failure from the jaws of probably success. And next year because there is a lack of funds and lack of squad and injuries etc it would be a repeat of last year and this year. And the year after that and so on. I don't want to stay in this awful league. It is no longer sufficient to say we are ok because we still have a club. That's old news and the club cannot keep repeating that as an excuse either. I will still go as I've often said but tell you what, I hear more and more getting fed up with it all and threatening to stop. Brent will lose his crowd at this rate.

9. Greenarmyjoe

Lets just hope. its still not over.. i said above we just need to do all we can and go at it.. with whoever we have available.. 3 wins will do us..

Heads up... i done a treble for wins over Wombles, pompey and orient,, that has gone :emoticon-0125-mmm:.

I bounced back to day tho.. with a treble.. Spurs, Leverkeusen and Villareal. If i can Argyle can do it... The bookie will always come top eventually :emoticon-0120-doh:

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I know we can still do it Joe but if you look at who plays who then it ain't gonna be an easy one. I know anyone can beat anyone in this league but some of the run-ins are almost nailed on and you wouldn't bet against the results being with form and position. Just think we blew it when we threw away our big points lead. Reason for said blowing it......small squad with lack of cover and injuries to wrong people. Reason for size of squad......answers on a postcard because you know mine already. The way the fans here are being treated is criminal.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The reason for the small squad was that Adams spent on some quality players instead of lots of mediocre ones.

Have we been unlucky with injuries or have we not been looking after them properly with our training methods that we have used.

Injured players have rarely returned and showed the same form that they had before their injury....why is that,

Reid, Carey, McCormick and even Boateng have been a disappointment on returning.....is it the training methods used or could it be the way that we have brought players through their injuries......i just wonder.

Boateng of course doesn't really fit the trend...I realize that.....maybe having tasted the big time he finds it hard to knuckle down once more to the daily grind of Div2.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  12. Greenarmyjoe

Just keep believing ,, until its not possible. Yes agree with the fact we have thrown away a strong lead .. but you never know in this league..

Injuries have played that there part at the wrong time for us and all happened at once.. agreed .

13. notDistantGreen

I thought Boateng did OK on Saturday Plymborn although no doubt a run of games would see him do better still.

We lacked punch up front though. It's the second game in the last three I've been to when I've wished we could swap our strikers for theirs (Oxford &Wimbledon). In both cases they were bigger, stronger and more aggressive. In fact Wimbledon had 4 powerful strikers and were able to bring on two fresh ones with 20 minutes to play who proceeded to make Hartley of all people look like a rag-doll.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Hang on a minute here. How do you know what Adams was given budget wise to spend so much on so few? From what we know it is just a feasible that he wasn't given enough of anything at all. The squad was paper thin and it was always going to be a risk. It backfired again. Repeat of last season and will be repeated again next season. Unless somebody is prepared to fund a promotion push properly and not just leave it all to luck then we will repeat this year on year ad nausium. Brent isn't going to do anything for this club.

I thought Boateng did ok as well. Didn't last the 90 but made a diference whilst on the pitch.

15. Greenarmyjoe

He is the Saviour.. my lord.. :emoticon-0102-bigsm

16. notDistantGreen

Not quite sure he was that good Joe. Now Reuben Reid fit and on a scoring spree might be close...

17. Greenarmyjoe

Well, hope fully Reid bangs a few in if he plays Saturday.. We have to go for it .. a point will be disappointing in my view..

18. notDistantGreen

Yes it's time for this lot to dig deep and give their all.